New color gem selections added online

tiffany0704

Nov 22, 2019
I’m not sure when did it happen, but when I checked back in April I don’t believe these were on their website. I just checked other locations’ websites and it seems only available in the United States right now.

My guess is that these were traditionally sold in flagship stores but now under the current situation they were put on the website. Or they just decided to release more color gemstones. Regardless, I really enjoyed these eye-candies at home [emoji6]

I noticed Tiffany’s really digging into the color gems now. Usually when I browse highest price first, other than diamond it’s usually Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Tanzanite, and Aquamarine in their higher price range. Now their higher price lines have Tourmaline, Spinel, Spessartine and Kunzite (I had to google the last two).

Now I wonder what else can Tiffany bring onto the stage;) IMG_1973.JPGIMG_1974.JPGIMG_1975.JPG

Interesting!
That's a very curious selection of new gems, given also the fact that kunzite is a rather cheap stone, even of nice quality. Also one has to be really careful handling it: it is prone to fading once exposed to sunlight too much.
I am happy though that they are looking more into spinel now: this is a truly great stone which is very undervalued in the market.

Interesting!
That's a very curious selection of new gems, given also the fact that kunzite is a rather cheap stone, even of nice quality. Also one has to be really careful handling it: it is prone to fading once exposed to sunlight too much.
I am happy though that they are looking more into spinel now: this is a truly great stone which is very undervalued in the market.

I thought the same! Spinel’s hardness is 8, which is pretty much the same with emerald (7.5-8). I never heard of Kunzite so I only googled it after saw it on Tiffany’s. It seems it also chips easily...

I thought the same! Spinel’s hardness is 8, which is pretty much the same with emerald (7.5-8). I never heard of Kunzite so I only googled it after saw it on Tiffany’s. It seems it also chips easily...

Totally agree. I liked tanzanite selection because it is a beauty and this is quite rare stone and best gems are actually quite pricey. And it is not as fragile as kunzite, definitely not in terms of colour.
Spinel, in my opinion, is one of the most undervalued stones, it can have amazing depth and tint of colour, great hardness, typically quite clean as well. Just not advertised properly.
I probably know why they chose kunzite as well: this stone was set in one of the famous Jackie Kennedy's rings. Plus of course great way to sell cheap stone at a high price :smile:

Thanks for posting.
You are correct, there are a lot of colored gemstones at the flagship store.

I was actually looking for a spessartite ring and tried on that ring and another spessartite at the NYC store. Each stone has a slightly different hue as you can guess.

The flagship store also has larger rubies, sapphires, and emeralds and in different settings other than Soleste or Legacy so that might appeal to folks who are sick of those settings and want something more unique. (Btw, the green stone in the photo is a green tourmaline, not an emerald).

Also, for those who do not live near NYC, you can ask a SA to show you on her computer what rings are available and the SA can bring in a couple for you to try on and see if you like.

Tiffany is actually famous for their colored gemstones. They actually made tanzanite popular, named morganite, etc... kunzite was named for George Kunz, a famous gemologist who also worked at Tiffany. Kind of interesting and if you are interested in stuff like that, there are great books on colored stones.

I love colored gemstones, more so than diamonds. I’m so happy Tiffany is posting these larger pieces online to look at.

Thank you for sharing.