New changes coming to Paypal

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
The changes described below will go into effect on July 31, 2020.

Some of the changes are scary!

These are some not-so-good changes:
  • For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Program, we are clarifying that the item may not be returned to sellers or sellers may be required to accept the returned item and pay for the return shipping costs. (This one is similar to that ebay has. I'm hoping that they're only doing the item not being returned is if the seller refuses the return. If it's arbitrary which buyers return for refund and which keep and get refund, that's not good.)
  • We are excluding items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, from reimbursement eligibility under our Purchase Protection Program. (How do they determine which items are intended for resale vs what is purchased but resold when it doesn't work for the buyer?)
This one is a good change:
  • We are requiring that buyers attempt to resolve their issues directly with sellers prior to filing a claim with us in order to be eligible for reimbursement under our Purchase Protection Program.

Thanks for the heads-up with the updates.

For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Program, we are clarifying that the item may not be returned to sellers or sellers may be required to accept the returned item and pay for the return shipping costs.
My sentiments are in agreement with yours, in hoping this means that it will be the sellers' right to choose whether to pay for a return-shipping costs, OR simply let the item "go" when return-shipping costs exceed the value of the item so sellers don't have to pay more money for a losing transaction.

I have no idea what the resale clause means.

Thanks for sharing! Does it mean people who want to sell their bags/buy pre-owned bags will no longer be protected by Paypal under their buyer/seller protection?
I don't think they're taking away buyer or seller protection.

What I'm gathering is that they're handling SNAD returns like ebay, requiring the seller to pay for return shipping. (As it is now, if the buyer files SNAD through PP and returns, the buyer has to pay for return shipping. They're making it fairer to buyers that buyers shouldn't be out the shipping cost when an item is legitimately SNAD.

The problem arises when buyers lie about condition in order to avoid having to pay for return shipping on remorse/fit items. But I suspect that's why they're requiring buyers to try to resolve with the seller before opening a dispute.

As for withholding buyer protection on purchases intended for resale, my opinion is that PP will have one heck of a time trying to prove that!

Reactions: youngster