New Chanel Looks Like Stam...

i guess chanel did do the whole quilting and chain thing first but mj never was quite that "inspired." i highly doubt these will sell well. people will just end up buying the stam or getting a chanel flap.

looks like karl lagerfeld is trying to stick it to MJ, for him originally playing off of chanels classic quilting when the stam first came out...:rolleyes: i find this kinda funny, actually.

haha probably! making an inspired bag from a somewhat inspired bag! weird though.

well, i understand the price tag, because chanel has always been overpriced. it keeps it above the other luxury brands, by being one of the more expensive ones before you get into hermes and botegga...the way they see it, MJ and LV are on the lower end of the high end scale..

^Good point, Roo. The quilting and the chain strap were originally Chanel for sure. I'm just partial to MJ so I'm being biased. Not sure about the stam shape. Was the kisslock done before the stam, too? I'm not too up on the history.
i think it looks different from the stam. it has a very different appeal IMO:confused1:

I like it. Waaaay beyond my budget, but I like it none the less. I will admit that when the first stam came out, I automatically thought Chanel, heck even my Mayfair and the Mary remind me of Chanel. I don't think either MJ or Chanel are just quilting & chains, so I can appreciate both of them. They are similar, but different. Chanel is more refined, more subtle, MJ is funkier and just a little off (in a good way!). It's interesting that such similar materials can be produced into bags that, at least to me, are different. I'm sure that my DH is happy that I am into MJ more than Chanel!

The original Chanel was the Classic Flap (square style) The original lady like bag like this Chanel and the Stam was the Hermes Kelly. So, to sum things up - blatant copy
i dont see the similarities between the kelly and the stam either... or the kelly and the chanel flap. im actually not too sure what youre saying in general actually.

I saw that bag in the mag and at first I thought it was a MJ bag, but then noticed it was Chanel -- I don't think it's a copy. If anything, maybe Chanel was inspired to do a quilted frame bag with the success of the Stam -- when MJ first started doing quilted bags, I immediately made the connection to Chanel & was rather surprised -- Coco was actually the last person I ever expected MJ to emulate - but look how successful they've been.

I'm sure there were plenty of Chanel fans who claimed copy or knock-off when MJ started doing quilted bags, and I KNOW I heard rumblings about Chanel look-a-likes when the Mayfair was released.

215x0-7-75-1-a0.jpg

Of course, it just goes to show you how over-priced Chanel is -- MJ can do a quilted frame bag (the Stam) for under $1500 -- even the lambskin version (which granted, isn't quilted) is under $1500 -- I don't get the nearly $4k price tag!! Even if I weren't a MJ fan and I just liked this style, I'd probably choose MJ over Chanel based on the price alone

Last edited:
I saw that bag in the mag and at first I thought it was a MJ bag, but then noticed it was Chanel -- I don't think it's a copy. If anything, maybe Chanel was inspired to do a quilted frame bag with the success of the Stam -- when MJ first started doing quilted bags, I immediately made the connection to Chanel & was rather surprised -- Coco was actually the last person I ever expected MJ to emulate - but look how successful they've been.

I'm sure there were plenty of Chanel fans who claimed copy or knock-off when MJ started doing quilted bags, and I KNOW I heard rumblings about Chanel look-a-likes when the Mayfair was released.

215x0-7-75-1-a0.jpg

Of course, it just goes to show you how over-priced Chanel is -- MJ can do a quilted frame bag (the Stam) for under $1500 -- even the lambskin version (which granted, isn't quilted) is under $1500 -- I don't get the nearly $4k price tag!! Even if I weren't a MJ fan and I just liked this style, I'd probably choose MJ over Chanel based on the price alone

me too. i love chanel and own a couple of bags, but i can't justify spending anymore money beyond just the must have classics (flap bag). they're planning another price increase in november. at this point, a chanel is on its way to costing as much as a kelly or birkin. :rolleyes:

I'd love the blue Flap Bag that Jessica Alba was wearing, but it is just totally completely out of my league. That much, even if I had the cash, I'd rather buy 2 or 3 MJ bags.

But it's funny how everyone has this huge respect for Channel… it truly shows the history of a brand can really be of importance. If this bag wasn't made by Channel but, say, Rebecca Minkhoff, would you all still feel the same way? I know I wouldn't.