New buying restrictions from Ebay?

Apr 26, 2011
Hi,

I want to make some purchases from my favorite power seller. My bidding machine tells me I can't bid on more than 4 items ending within 30 minutes of each other due to new buyer safety regulations.

(This is the time of year to go crazy on Ebay and I want to bid on a lot more items than that. This seller lists about 1 item a minute.)

Does anybody know anything about this? I've tried searching through Ebay info, but it is not much help. I've also been trying e-mailing Ebay themselves to help me, but the answers they've come up with are copy and paste answers to a questions I didn't ask.

I have over 150 positive feedback, 100% score, a verified Paypal account and have been a member for almost 8 years.

I hope one of you ladies can shed some light on this. Been trying to get it fixed with Ebay for weeks and have been missing out on some really nice stuff.

Hi,

I want to make some purchases from my favorite power seller. My bidding machine tells me I can't bid on more than 4 items ending within 30 minutes of each other due to new buyer safety regulations.

(This is the time of year to go crazy on Ebay and I want to bid on a lot more items than that. This seller lists about 1 item a minute.)

Does anybody know anything about this? I've tried searching through Ebay info, but it is not much help. I've also been trying e-mailing Ebay themselves to help me, but the answers they've come up with are copy and paste answers to a questions I didn't ask.

I have over 150 positive feedback, 100% score, a verified Paypal account and have been a member for almost 8 years.

I hope one of you ladies can shed some light on this. Been trying to get it fixed with Ebay for weeks and have been missing out on some really nice stuff.

The seller may have set her limits in her selling preferences. Contact the seller.

I haven't heard of the issue but my guess is that it's a way to cut down on non-payment disputes.

Too many buyers bid and win multiple items, often the same item from different sellers and pick and choose which is the best price they want to pay. Then they ignore the other items they've won.

Another thought is that it's ebay's way of controlling spending. How many times have we seen buyers who go on shopping sprees winning pages worth of stuff within hours or days and then file chargebacks for unauthorized use.

it's probably just a safeguard.

The seller may have set her limits in her selling preferences. Contact the seller.
Oh, wait a sec! The items are from the same seller?

I bet that's what it is.

In that case, you'd want to email the seller to ask for her to lift the restriction for you.

These links might help, depending on the reason for the restriction:

THIS IS IF EBAY IS SETTING THE RESTRICTION:

Why does eBay limit buying activity?

We might limit a member's buying activity if we notice a change in their buying activity. For example:

• We notice a sudden, large increase in the amount of items a member is buying
  • We notice a sudden, large increase in the price of the items a member is buying
  • We notice a new buyer is making many purchases or purchasing expensive items
These limits are similar to the limit a credit card company might place on your card if they notice an unusual increase in activity. Not only does it protect you, it protects our sellers and eBay. Also, buyer activity limits are one way that we reduce the chance of unpaid items. Buyer activity limits are based on statistical information, and they are put in place to protect everyone. They aren't meant to penalize you, or reflect on how trustworthy you are. They're also not based on your bank account balance, your credit card limit, or your ability to pay for items purchased.
Note: These limits are placed by eBay, not by individual sellers. We can't remove these limits, even if a seller requests it.
How can I remove these limits?

We'll remove buyer activity limits once we see that the buyer's purchases are legitimate and are being completed successfully. One way we see this is through Feedback. If you're a new buyer, you may see your limit removed as your Feedback score increases.
We're also more likely to remove these limits for a buyer who verifies his or her identity. There are a few ways to do this:

Note: Not all members will have these options available, and they don't automatically remove buyer limits.

THIS IS IF IT'S A SELLER RESTRICTION:

Setting up buyer requirements

They can set a limit to the number of items a buyer can win within a certain number of days. They can also set the limit based on buyer feedback numbers.

Oh, wait a sec! The items are from the same seller?

I bet that's what it is.

In that case, you'd want to email the seller to ask for her to lift the restriction for you.

These links might help, depending on the reason for the restriction:

THIS IS IF EBAY IS SETTING THE RESTRICTION:

We might limit a member's buying activity if we notice a change in their buying activity. For example:

• We notice a sudden, large increase in the amount of items a member is buying
  • We notice a sudden, large increase in the price of the items a member is buying
  • We notice a new buyer is making many purchases or purchasing expensive items
These limits are similar to the limit a credit card company might place on your card if they notice an unusual increase in activity. Not only does it protect you, it protects our sellers and eBay. Also, buyer activity limits are one way that we reduce the chance of unpaid items. Buyer activity limits are based on statistical information, and they are put in place to protect everyone. They aren't meant to penalize you, or reflect on how trustworthy you are. They're also not based on your bank account balance, your credit card limit, or your ability to pay for items purchased.
Note: These limits are placed by eBay, not by individual sellers. We can't remove these limits, even if a seller requests it.
How can I remove these limits?

We'll remove buyer activity limits once we see that the buyer's purchases are legitimate and are being completed successfully. One way we see this is through Feedback. If you're a new buyer, you may see your limit removed as your Feedback score increases.
We're also more likely to remove these limits for a buyer who verifies his or her identity. There are a few ways to do this:

Note: Not all members will have these options available, and they don't automatically remove buyer limits.

THIS IS IF IT'S A SELLER RESTRICTION:

Setting up buyer requirements

They can set a limit to the number of items a buyer can win within a certain number of days. They can also set the limit based on buyer feedback numbers.

I've emailed the seller and they have confirmed it is not their settings and I've purchased a large number of items from them before.

I've also found this page on Ebay, but I am not sure what I should do, my Paypal account has been verified for years and my score is pristine.

The place a credit card on file leads to a page about automatic payments and that seems very fraud sensitive to me. I don't want that. Besides, that means its would pay for each item individually immediately and that way it takes a lot of time for me and the seller to get the reduced shipping costs back.

Besides, that means its would pay for each item individually immediately and that way it takes a lot of time for me and the seller to get the reduced shipping costs back.
If you buy multiple items from one seller, you can combine the payment. It's not necessary to pay for each item separately unless the seller has the BIN set to IPR. If that's the case, the seller has to adjust the settings.

Maybe it has something to do with the new "cancellation experience" where a buyer can cancel for up to an hour after purchase. I'm not sure if it does. Just guessing because I've never run across this before.

Maybe it has something to do with the new "cancellation experience" where a buyer can cancel for up to an hour after purchase. I'm not sure if it does. Just guessing because I've never run across this before.

When did the cancellation experience get put into place? Does the buyer have to have a legitimate reason to cancel? A buyer told me that she wasn't going to pay on a LV speedy and wallet because the wallet wasn't as new as she thought even though I had pics and an accurate description of the wallet. I filed a case against her and eBay didn't do anything about it. But I am wondering if maybe due to this rule?

When did the cancellation experience get put into place? Does the buyer have to have a legitimate reason to cancel? A buyer told me that she wasn't going to pay on a LV speedy and wallet because the wallet wasn't as new as she thought even though I had pics and an accurate description of the wallet. I filed a case against her and eBay didn't do anything about it. But I am wondering if maybe due to this rule?

It went into effect 9/16. AFAIK they don't really need a reason. Here's the original announcement that outlines all the changes for the "after-sale experience":
http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/after-sale-experience-details.html

Is there anyway to get this fixed in a timely manner? I would really like to start bidding. I am already waiting for an answer from Ebay. (Which is not arriving in a timely manner)

I think this is a part of the seller protection. Since ebay took the ability to look up the buyer's bidding history and an the active auctions that the buyer is bidding on, the seller is left with inability to check what the potential buyer is currently bidding on. In the past, if the seller sees that the buyer is bidding on too many actions, the seller could block the buyer to prevent from bidding on the seller's auctions. There were so many instances when the buyer may be bidding on dozens of auctions and would never pay, so that gave the seller a choice to block the potential non paying bidder.
Since, ebay took it way, I think ebay found that they need to have some kind of monitor in place to help the seller. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that it is exactly what is going on.

Why not just wait out the 30 minutes?
All the auctions end around the same time. It doesn't matter when she bids, she will be blocked from bidding on multiple items once she reaches the limit even if she wants them all. What if she wants to buy a matched set and the seller has all the items in the set listed separately?

This is what my bidding machine says:

'Maximum amount of bids setup for around this eBay ending time has been reached.
eBay has setup new security measures that affect bidding on multiple items that end around the same time. As a result, you can only submit up to 4 bids within an 30 minute timeframe. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Also note:You can still setup bids for items that end outside this timeframe.'

Still haven't heard from Ebay. It has been more than 3 days...

This is what my bidding machine says:

'Maximum amount of bids setup for around this eBay ending time has been reached.
eBay has setup new security measures that affect bidding on multiple items that end around the same time. As a result, you can only submit up to 4 bids within an 30 minute timeframe. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Also note:You can still setup bids for items that end outside this timeframe.'

Still haven't heard from Ebay. It has been more than 3 days...

It tells you right here that this is a new security measure.
Why are you still waiting for ebay to respond? What do you expect them to say?