New Burberry Marystow Trench - Too Big?

La_Cantante

Dec 10, 2013
Hi all,

I recently caved and bought a Burberry Marystow trench when it went on sale at Nordstrom a while back. I bought a size 2, which was the smallest size available, but I'm still debating whether I should return it because it may be too large for me.

I think one of the problems is that I'm fairly short/petite (5'2", usually wear a 0 or 0P in brands that offer petite sizing). I thought I would ask all of you more experienced TPFers your thoughts! If the trench is too big, would getting it tailored be very expensive? The sleeves at the very least need to be shortened...

TIA!

Attachments

• photo 1 (4).JPG
    photo 1 (4).JPG
    116 KB · Views: 1,989
  • photo 2 (4).JPG
    photo 2 (4).JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,517
I feel your pain. I have the same trench in black and trench and I'm 5'3" so the sleeves are fine on me. I think the trench looks fine on you but the sleeves are a tad bit long. How does it look closed? That usually makes a big difference.

It has a little bit of loose fit, and the sleeves are a tad little bit long. It depends on how you want to wear it, loose so it looks casual and you can layer, or slim fit? As for tailoring some places are more expensive than others, so that depends.

From your pictures, it looks only the sleeves are too large. The length looks good.
If you only need the sleeves altered, I would keep it. It shouldn't be too expensive - maybe $100. I think shortening the sleeves might be complementary if done within 30 days or so.

You can ask if Nordstroms will do the alterations. If they won't, get a quote from a Burberry store.

I'd like to see the closed version. But I agree about the sleeving being too long but the length looking good.

Thank you for all of the replies!! I've attached a picture with the front closed. I usually like items of clothing to be slim fit, but I realize that it makes more sense for outerwear to be a little looser so that I will be able to wear sweaters, etc. underneath. Nevertheless, I do think something is not "quite right" about the fit when the trench is closed. Proportions are off or the waist is a little boxy/loose? Or maybe I'm overthinking it...

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 2,757
You are tiny :smile:. After seeing it closed I feel that the overall fit is too large. If you love the style, have it altered. I know that it's really hard to find a petite friendly tench, but the best thing about having one from Burberry is the tailored look in my opinion.

I think it looks a little bit big too.

Marystow and Harbourne are usually the most the most popular trench coats among the petite girls. I would try those styles and the Queensbury too. You can find them in outlets and there's a new sateen version this year in dept stores etc. I ended up getting one because it's very slim fit and it looked good on me. I'm 5'6 so I don't know if it'll work for you. It might be worth looking into the Heritage Sandringham (also slim fit) as you can have it ordered in short. I believe if you order through a Burberry store they'll do the alterations in house.

Here are a few links about petite girls and Burberry. You might some ideas about alterations.
http://tobrightenmyday.blogspot.ca/2011/12/so-this-is-christmas.html
http://www.extrapetite.com/search/label/Burberry
http://www.alterationsneeded.com/2008/11/coats-that-run-small-burberry.html

You are tiny :smile:. After seeing it closed I feel that the overall fit is too large. If you love the style, have it altered. I know that it's really hard to find a petite friendly tench, but the best thing about having one from Burberry is the tailored look in my opinion.

I think it looks a little bit big too.

Marystow and Harbourne are usually the most the most popular trench coats among the petite girls. I would try those styles and the Queensbury too. You can find them in outlets and there's a new sateen version this year in dept stores etc. I ended up getting one because it's very slim fit and it looked good on me. I'm 5'6 so I don't know if it'll work for you. It might be worth looking into the Heritage Sandringham (also slim fit) as you can have it ordered in short. I believe if you order through a Burberry store they'll do the alterations in house.

Here are a few links about petite girls and Burberry. You might some ideas about alterations.
http://tobrightenmyday.blogspot.ca/2011/12/so-this-is-christmas.html
http://www.extrapetite.com/search/label/Burberry
http://www.alterationsneeded.com/2008/11/coats-that-run-small-burberry.html

I agree, it appears to be several sizes too large!

Thank you so much for all of your replies! Looking at these photos now, I agree that the coat is too big, and I'm sending it back in the mail today.

Ladymadchan, the blogpost from tobrightenmyday actually encouraged me to pull the trigger on the Marystow trench, since she has the same coat, but I see now that she's several inches taller than me, which makes such a difference!

If anything, this has convinced me that I should save up for a Burberry item to buy full price from the store in order to be able to try on multiple styles/sizes and because alterations will be free when doing so (is this still the case, actually?).

Thank you so much for all of your replies! Looking at these photos now, I agree that the coat is too big, and I'm sending it back in the mail today.

Ladymadchan, the blogpost from tobrightenmyday actually encouraged me to pull the trigger on the Marystow trench, since she has the same coat, but I see now that she's several inches taller than me, which makes such a difference!

If anything, this has convinced me that I should save up for a Burberry item to buy full price from the store in order to be able to try on multiple styles/sizes and because alterations will be free when doing so (is this still the case, actually?).
The only complimentary alterations are sleeve shortening - within couple of months after purchase. Everything else is extra.
I think it is better to try many trenches and get one that fits, because getting Burberry to do your alterations can be a bit of a headache.