New Bayswater backpack

I literally just saw this and hopped over here to see if anyone was talking about it. It's sleek and gorgeous. I had my doubts about JC, but this and the New Bayswater Tote are winning me over.

Reactions: 24shaz
Totally agree! New Bays tote looks very nice, and I prefer it to previous Mulberry tote designs.

There are plenty of bags I don't like (and will never understand the ones with the brightly coloured holes in [emoji33]) but it feels like Coca is starting to understand the classic Mulberry features that many of us love...

Reactions: Izzy48 and 24shaz
I like the leather straps but sometimes I prefer to carry my Cara over my arm, like a bays, and with one handle I wonder if that wouldn't work for this. Good simple design though. I think JC is good at discarding unnecessary bits.

I have a Medium Cara in Oxblood and was looking on M.com to see what they replaced her with and spotted this bag. Have to say I do like the look of this bag, however wouldn't buy it simply because the top clip connecting the backpack straps to the back of the bag looks disconcertingly flimsy to me? On the Cara it's a really strong D ring which is heavily stitched, but on this bag it looks like it's not very strong?

Once you've put your stuff in the bag, that's a lot of weight and stress to put on a small bit of metal and leather...

Look very similar to the Cara to me - but I prefer the straps on this, I find the canvas straps on the Cara a bit too chunky and masculine. I know it's not meant to be the most feminine of bags.. but I like feminine bags! :biggrin:

Just got the e-mail introducing this, and the first thought was, "Isn't this just the Cara?" I think it's a more class take on Cara, while Cara is cute. Personally, I don't see too much of a difference at all, but I feel like JC has been banking on the Bayswater line lately. The strap style would be more comfortable than Cara's I think, but I like a bit of the usual backpack strap more with how it looks.

Went to the Mulberry store yesterday to take a look at the new backpack, and I have to say I really like it. It is super light weight - the same as the small bays if not lighter, but much bigger than the small bays. The leather is soft yet sturdy, softer than the one they used for the new bays. The inside lining is fabric and the straps on the side are replaced by snaps - hence the lighter weight.I'm seriously tempted, but unfortunately here in the Hong Kong stores they only have black and oak. Personally I would prefer the oxblood or red.

Also, I can't help but think that if they make the same changes to the old bays maybe it would be more popular? For me the No.1 obstacle of buying a bays is the heavy weight. But I guess that would be too much to wish for...

Anyone got the backpack already and what are your thoughts on this bag?

I had a play with this in store one day... and still unsure.

Plus points: love the midnight/silver combo, light weight, and the dimensions look good to me.

Minus point: IMO it's missing a crucial carrying option - no shoulder strap and nowhere to attach one even if you wanted to use a different strap - the sides close in with poppers and there is no hardware attachment like on the Cara, or even leather side straps like on the Bays (I know some ladies have used these straps - at least on the Ledbury - to attach a shoulder strap).

And yet - I am still kind of interested... Anyone purchased this bag yet? Would love to hear any reviews!

I have the Cara in Medium and was SHOOK when they discontinued it since I love how you can wear it different ways. This just seems a little too big. I likes the square shape of the Cara since it made it cute and feminine. The medium size Cara is huge as it is so this seems too big... Though it is gorgeous in the clay color, and since these handles are stiff, it must be so much easier to access than the Cara which has a little lock thing around the handles...