New bag with STIFF leather? Let's discuss!

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
I apologize if there is already a thread dedicated to this very topic but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Basically I noticed that there has been a lot of discussion about stiff leather on some of the new bags that have come in recently. I know a lot of you prefer really soft leather, actually I think we all do, but I wanted to open this thread up to discussion about it.

Here is my take: I really like soft leather that slouches. Having said that though I also LOVE going through the different stages with my bag. I really like the whole breaking my bag in process! That is part of the reason I don't like buying used bags.. I like to go through "it" with my bag! I also feel like when a bag comes too soft in the beginning it looses it's shape and get's a little too worn too fast. Anyway, I just wanted to give my thoughts on the matter and I know that there will be plenty more to come.. I think it will be interesting to see/ hear all the different points of view on this topic.

So, how do YOU feel about it?

Why are you gals poking fun at me (my bottom lip is curled)..?

I know that there are a ton of other threads that have turned into a sort of discussion about this but that is why I want a thread dedicated to this very topic. Am I wrong?? I googled and didn;t find it. Let me go try the reg search!

Whatever with the both of you LOL!

This thread is such a good idea, LR. To be honest, I didn't understand what the "breaking in" process was until I got an RM. Can you believe I actually used to LIKE structured, stiff leather? I thought it made the bag look refined. But RM changed all that. I can distinctly recall the moment my Wine Nikki completely puddled and I thought "Hey! It DOES get squishy."

Why are you gals poking fun at me (my bottom lip is curled)..?

I know that there are a ton of other threads that have turned into a sort of discussion about this but that is why I want a thread dedicated to this very topic. Am I wrong?? I googled and didn;t find it. Let me go try the reg search!

Whatever with the both of you LOL!

I was just laughing because you're a mod and you've encountered a problem that, I think, a lot of members do when they start a new thread. hehehe.

^This! :yes:

I never really thought about stiff vs. soft leather before the RM addiction, because I always just assumed that a bag just stays in whatever shape it started out as. Only after getting a boxy, structured wine MAB and seeing it evolve into the puddle of mush that it is now did I understand.

I know this is a minority opinion to say the LEAST, but I would like to just explain my deal with the "puddling." I realize the difference between high and low quality leather, and expense v. cheap leather. But to me, nice leather doesn't have to equal puddling to nothing. I think the puddling looks fine on a Nikki b/c its a hobo. The strap is short and it's meant to kind of fall into itself. But for me, the Morning Afters are different. It's a structured bag. It's shaped like a box. I remember one time I called a local boutique to see what they had and they said, "We've got one that looks like a doctor bag." And I knew immediately it was a Morning After b/c that's what they look like. I fell in love with RMs from pics on websites--with the bags stuffed. Call me crazy but I think the shape of an MA makes it to where it's more flattering when it at least resembles it's intended or designed shape. I realize they only puddle when you sit them down so I'm getting over it b/c the bags are just too beautiful, but I just wanted to give a different perspective...Please don't banish me!! :s

LR, as a mod, you should know every single thread and post ever made pertaining to RM. Committed to memory!!! I kid, I kid. :P

I can say I have a healthy mix of soft and more structured bags. There is something to say about having both the smooshiest of the smooshy (old school black MAB) and a more structured one (mocha MAM), and everything in between. I mean, some days I'm feeling smooshy, other day's I'm not.

I don't know that I would like to have, say...a croc Nikki or something of that stiff nature. That bag would just never get soft enough for me. I don't need puddles of leather, but I like a bit of give when it comes to Nikki's, MAB's and now, the Devote. MAM's I prefer a bit more structured.

Oh, I totally forgot...my seagreen MAM is really soft. If I put it down with nothing in it, it will collapse completely.

I have to agree...the MAM should be more structured and I do wish my seagreen wasn't as puddly.

But all of my nikkis are stiff as a board, with the loud grey being the closest to "soft."

Thanks, amy! I got that bag pre-RM and that was the usual leather than I was used to...pebbly and structured. It definitely will NOT puddle or sag, though I've had it for years.

I agree with Courtney that there are certain shapes of bag that you really don't want to sag so much that they're unrecognizable, but I found with the MA that yes, it only happens when set down, and with such a boxy shape it really helps to make it more comfortable on the shoulder when it can mold to your body.

I know this is a minority opinion to say the LEAST, but I would like to just explain my deal with the "puddling." I realize the difference between high and low quality leather, and expense v. cheap leather. But to me, nice leather doesn't have to equal puddling to nothing. I think the puddling looks fine on a Nikki b/c its a hobo. The strap is short and it's meant to kind of fall into itself. But for me, the Morning Afters are different. It's a structured bag. It's shaped like a box. I remember one time I called a local boutique to see what they had and they said, "We've got one that looks like a doctor bag." And I knew immediately it was a Morning After b/c that's what they look like. I fell in love with RMs from pics on websites--with the bags stuffed. Call me crazy but I think the shape of an MA makes it to where it's more flattering when it at least resembles it's intended or designed shape. I realize they only puddle when you sit them down so I'm getting over it b/c the bags are just too beautiful, but I just wanted to give a different perspective...Please don't banish me!! :s

I feel the same way as you.. I like it when the leather is soft but I like my bags to resemble their original shape. I don't like it when they are so droopy you can't tell what bag it is!

I think there is a nice middle ground and that is the stage of the breaking in process that I love the most!

I actually am with littlerock, I like the breaking in process! Although I have to say, I HATE breaking in shoes. That's a completely different ballpark.

I also agree with courtney that I think the structure and shape of the bag should determine degree of supple-ness. I wouldn't want a clutch to be smooshy (trust me I have one and things fall out of it all the time since it's so hard to hold!!) but I would want a hobo to be.

Also I find it really annoying if something is TOO smooshy and everything just goes straight to the bottom and the bottom of your bag is like almost to the floor. I know LV speedys have that issue. Does this bother anyone else?