New bag with STIFF leather? Let's discuss!

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
I apologize if there is already a thread dedicated to this very topic but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Basically I noticed that there has been a lot of discussion about stiff leather on some of the new bags that have come in recently. I know a lot of you prefer really soft leather, actually I think we all do, but I wanted to open this thread up to discussion about it.

Here is my take: I really like soft leather that slouches. Having said that though I also LOVE going through the different stages with my bag. I really like the whole breaking my bag in process! That is part of the reason I don't like buying used bags.. I like to go through "it" with my bag! I also feel like when a bag comes too soft in the beginning it looses it's shape and get's a little too worn too fast. Anyway, I just wanted to give my thoughts on the matter and I know that there will be plenty more to come.. I think it will be interesting to see/ hear all the different points of view on this topic.

So, how do YOU feel about it?

amy84023

Totally Banned!
O.G.
May 31, 2007
CT
now THAT is hilarious!!! :P

I don't have any new bags lately so sadly i can't answer.. I don't mind breaking my own bags in though :yes:
I LOLed too!

I don't mind going through the journey with my bag. I've never had a nikki that came slouchy, so I don't know it any other way.

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
Why are you gals poking fun at me (my bottom lip is curled)..?

I know that there are a ton of other threads that have turned into a sort of discussion about this but that is why I want a thread dedicated to this very topic. Am I wrong?? I googled and didn;t find it. Let me go try the reg search!

Whatever with the both of you LOL!

tresjoliebags

Bag bliss...
Jul 3, 2008
West Coast
This thread is such a good idea, LR. To be honest, I didn't understand what the "breaking in" process was until I got an RM. Can you believe I actually used to LIKE structured, stiff leather? I thought it made the bag look refined. But RM changed all that. I can distinctly recall the moment my Wine Nikki completely puddled and I thought "Hey! It DOES get squishy."

amy84023

Totally Banned!
O.G.
May 31, 2007
CT
Why are you gals poking fun at me (my bottom lip is curled)..?

I know that there are a ton of other threads that have turned into a sort of discussion about this but that is why I want a thread dedicated to this very topic. Am I wrong?? I googled and didn;t find it. Let me go try the reg search!

Whatever with the both of you LOL!
I was just laughing because you're a mod and you've encountered a problem that, I think, a lot of members do when they start a new thread. hehehe.

mockinglee

Piemaker
O.G.
May 17, 2007
The Pie Hole
^This! :yes:

I never really thought about stiff vs. soft leather before the RM addiction, because I always just assumed that a bag just stays in whatever shape it started out as. Only after getting a boxy, structured wine MAB and seeing it evolve into the puddle of mush that it is now did I understand.

amy84023

Totally Banned!
O.G.
May 31, 2007
CT
On a side note, mockinglee, I just looked at your bags...I LOVE your mj beth bag!!

CourtneyMc22

Dreaming of NYC....
O.G.
Mar 23, 2008
USA
I know this is a minority opinion to say the LEAST, but I would like to just explain my deal with the "puddling." I realize the difference between high and low quality leather, and expense v. cheap leather. But to me, nice leather doesn't have to equal puddling to nothing. I think the puddling looks fine on a Nikki b/c its a hobo. The strap is short and it's meant to kind of fall into itself. But for me, the Morning Afters are different. It's a structured bag. It's shaped like a box. I remember one time I called a local boutique to see what they had and they said, "We've got one that looks like a doctor bag." And I knew immediately it was a Morning After b/c that's what they look like. I fell in love with RMs from pics on websites--with the bags stuffed. Call me crazy but I think the shape of an MA makes it to where it's more flattering when it at least resembles it's intended or designed shape. I realize they only puddle when you sit them down so I'm getting over it b/c the bags are just too beautiful, but I just wanted to give a different perspective...Please don't banish me!! :s

Mar 24, 2008
Long Island, NY
LR, as a mod, you should know every single thread and post ever made pertaining to RM. Committed to memory!!! I kid, I kid. :P

I can say I have a healthy mix of soft and more structured bags. There is something to say about having both the smooshiest of the smooshy (old school black MAB) and a more structured one (mocha MAM), and everything in between. I mean, some days I'm feeling smooshy, other day's I'm not.

I don't know that I would like to have, say...a croc Nikki or something of that stiff nature. That bag would just never get soft enough for me. I don't need puddles of leather, but I like a bit of give when it comes to Nikki's, MAB's and now, the Devote. MAM's I prefer a bit more structured.

amy84023

Totally Banned!
O.G.
May 31, 2007
CT
Oh, I totally forgot...my seagreen MAM is really soft. If I put it down with nothing in it, it will collapse completely.

I have to agree...the MAM should be more structured and I do wish my seagreen wasn't as puddly.

But all of my nikkis are stiff as a board, with the loud grey being the closest to "soft."

mockinglee

Piemaker
O.G.
May 17, 2007
The Pie Hole
Thanks, amy! I got that bag pre-RM and that was the usual leather than I was used to...pebbly and structured. It definitely will NOT puddle or sag, though I've had it for years.

I agree with Courtney that there are certain shapes of bag that you really don't want to sag so much that they're unrecognizable, but I found with the MA that yes, it only happens when set down, and with such a boxy shape it really helps to make it more comfortable on the shoulder when it can mold to your body.

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
I know this is a minority opinion to say the LEAST, but I would like to just explain my deal with the "puddling." I realize the difference between high and low quality leather, and expense v. cheap leather. But to me, nice leather doesn't have to equal puddling to nothing. I think the puddling looks fine on a Nikki b/c its a hobo. The strap is short and it's meant to kind of fall into itself. But for me, the Morning Afters are different. It's a structured bag. It's shaped like a box. I remember one time I called a local boutique to see what they had and they said, "We've got one that looks like a doctor bag." And I knew immediately it was a Morning After b/c that's what they look like. I fell in love with RMs from pics on websites--with the bags stuffed. Call me crazy but I think the shape of an MA makes it to where it's more flattering when it at least resembles it's intended or designed shape. I realize they only puddle when you sit them down so I'm getting over it b/c the bags are just too beautiful, but I just wanted to give a different perspective...Please don't banish me!! :s
I feel the same way as you.. I like it when the leather is soft but I like my bags to resemble their original shape. I don't like it when they are so droopy you can't tell what bag it is!

I think there is a nice middle ground and that is the stage of the breaking in process that I love the most!

xlana

O.G.
Sep 26, 2006
New York City
I actually am with littlerock, I like the breaking in process! Although I have to say, I HATE breaking in shoes. That's a completely different ballpark.

I also agree with courtney that I think the structure and shape of the bag should determine degree of supple-ness. I wouldn't want a clutch to be smooshy (trust me I have one and things fall out of it all the time since it's so hard to hold!!) but I would want a hobo to be.

Also I find it really annoying if something is TOO smooshy and everything just goes straight to the bottom and the bottom of your bag is like almost to the floor. I know LV speedys have that issue. Does this bother anyone else?