New B keeps tarnishing

Hello all, I’m hoping you all can help me with a dilemma. I purchased a B35 in Gris Tourterelle last year. I have only worn it a couple of times and it sits in an acrylic case as most of my bags do. I noticed within a few months that part of the hardware tarnished. I did as TPFers instructed which was to try Connoisseur’s cloths and it did work well removing all the signs of tarnishing. I looked today and the tarnishing is even worse than the first time and I have had the bag such a short period of time. Is it possible I got one with defective hardware? I have several Hermès bags and many Hermès products and this has not happened to any others. Any idea on what to do? Other complication is I’m in NYC but leaving this weekend for an area that has no Hermès and will not be returning to the city for several months. Should I keep using the cloths or email my SA? I also considered maybe asking the hardware to be replaced that keeps tarnishing when I return but not sure if too much time will have passed (2+ years since purchased at that point in 2021). Please help if you can! Thank you all!

91DE80B9-6302-4515-8033-FE0D8D818F8B.jpeg

2DF07BF6-0C9E-44AA-BEBF-5C795A56154A.jpeg

image.jpg

I have the same exact issue on my birkin, with tarnishing in the exact same spots. I've been kinda lazy about bringing it back to madison haha. But, the connosseurs cloth works pretty well for me. So every couples weeks or months I just buff the hardware and the tarnishing is all gone and the hardware looks brand new. Over time, the tarnishing has gotten less and less for me so thats good.

I do hope to replace it, but feel that since its not *that* serious of an issue, I thought I'd hold off until it maybe gets worse.

Since you are leaving for quite some time, and if you personally don't like it, then yes I would replace it now before you leave. Good luck and please keep us updated!

I have the same exact issue on my birkin, with tarnishing in the exact same spots. I've been kinda lazy about bringing it back to madison haha. But, the connosseurs cloth works pretty well for me. So every couples weeks or months I just buff the hardware and the tarnishing is all gone and the hardware looks brand new. Over time, the tarnishing has gotten less and less for me so thats good.

I do hope to replace it, but feel that since its not *that* serious of an issue, I thought I'd hold off until it maybe gets worse.

Since you are leaving for quite some time, and if you personally don't like it, then yes I would replace it now before you leave. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Thank you for this info! I think I’ll just stick to the cloths for now and get the hw replaced at Madison eventually since I’m not sure how backed up they may be.i really appreciate your advice!

Reactions: Yoshi1296
Thank you for this info! I think I’ll just stick to the cloths for now and get the hw replaced at Madison eventually since I’m not sure how backed up they may be.i really appreciate your advice!

No problem at all! I think that is a good idea. The thing with tarnishing is that it is temporary and is dependent on the conditions of the room you store it in. I got a dehumidifier in my room shortly afterwards (just a tiny one from amazon for around $25) and I do think it has helped quite a bit as the tarnishing in those same areas that you see on yours, has gone down for me. NYC is a super humid and moist place, so that is probably why the tarnishing occurs.

I'd say keep using the cloth every month or so, I wouldn't overdo it. Pretty soon, you'll get used to the tarnish and will be able to live with it haha, knowing that it can be easily buffed away and look brand new with the cloth! Good luck and enjoy the beautiful Birkin!

No problem at all! I think that is a good idea. The thing with tarnishing is that it is temporary and is dependent on the conditions of the room you store it in. I got a dehumidifier in my room shortly afterwards (just a tiny one from amazon for around $25) and I do think it has helped quite a bit as the tarnishing in those same areas that you see on yours, has gone down for me. NYC is a super humid and moist place, so that is probably why the tarnishing occurs.

I'd say keep using the cloth every month or so, I wouldn't overdo it. Pretty soon, you'll get used to the tarnish and will be able to live with it haha, knowing that it can be easily buffed away and look brand new with the cloth! Good luck and enjoy the beautiful Birkin!
Yes it’s humid here but quite dry in my apartment, and none of my other bags have this issue but you’re right - I’ll just keep using the cloths until I’m ready to get it permanently fixed one day. Thank you so much!

Reactions: Yoshi1296
I have a B30 in the same color with rose gold hardware and my first run-in with tarnishing was when I left the protective stickers on. Learned my lesson there! I used an eyewear cleaning cloth to remove it. Most recently, I took out my bag again and saw a little bit of tarnishing. I used the jewelry cleaning cloth that came with my Missoma jewelry purchase and was careful not to rub the cloth on any leather parts in case of color transfer. It took a bit of rubbing but it eventually came off.

This also led me to investigate my various leather bracelets. It definitely seems like my rose gold items are more at risk of tarnishing. I gave a good wipe down to a few of my bracelets.

Note: I live on a humid island. My bags are stored in their dust bags only. The bracelets are stored in a jewelry box without their pouches.

• Wow
Reactions: 880
I have a B30 in the same color with rose gold hardware and my first run-in with tarnishing was when I left the protective stickers on. Learned my lesson there! I used an eyewear cleaning cloth to remove it. Most recently, I took out my bag again and saw a little bit of tarnishing. I used the jewelry cleaning cloth that came with my Missoma jewelry purchase and was careful not to rub the cloth on any leather parts in case of color transfer. It took a bit of rubbing but it eventually came off.

This also led me to investigate my various leather bracelets. It definitely seems like my rose gold items are more at risk of tarnishing. I gave a good wipe down to a few of my bracelets.

Note: I live on a humid island. My bags are stored in their dust bags only. The bracelets are stored in a jewelry box without their pouches.

Glad you were able to get it off! Ive noticed that my 18k rose gold jewelry (from Hermes and other brands) tarnishes quicker than Yellow and white gold. So I'm assuming it is the composition of metals plus the humidity that causes it.

Glad you were able to get it off! Ive noticed that my 18k rose gold jewelry (from Hermes and other brands) tarnishes quicker than Yellow and white gold. So I'm assuming it is the composition of metals plus the humidity that causes it.
Ah, I thought it was maybe how I was storing them! I appreciate you sharing your experience with rose gold metals! I was initially thinking of buying a dehumidifier to combat this problem however, will that effort be wasted once I take my jewelry/bags out for a spin? Hmm...

Ah, I thought it was maybe how I was storing them! I appreciate you sharing your experience with rose gold metals! I was initially thinking of buying a dehumidifier to combat this problem however, will that effort be wasted once I take my jewelry/bags out for a spin? Hmm...

No problem! Although my birkin experiencing tarnishing is gold hardware, which is odd. I have dehumidifier in my closet because it is on the lower level and does get pretty humid. It definitely helps. They're pretty cheap so I would get a small one if I were you.

Over time my birkin has been tarnishing less and less so I guess that is good! Not exactly sure why that is though.

No problem! Although my birkin experiencing tarnishing is gold hardware, which is odd. I have dehumidifier in my closet because it is on the lower level and does get pretty humid. It definitely helps. They're pretty cheap so I would get a small one if I were you.

Over time my birkin has been tarnishing less and less so I guess that is good! Not exactly sure why that is though.
Wow that’s great news! Glad that it has helped with your tarnishing. Looking for a dehumidifier now! :coolio:

hello everyone. may i ask what brand of wipes and dehumidifiers did you use to take/ fight off the tarnish? i have the same problem with the gold padlock of my birkin. weird it has never happened with my other B's but only on this one. i also live in nyc and it gets pretty humid in the summer.

• Wow
Reactions: 880
hello everyone. may i ask what brand of wipes and dehumidifiers did you use to take/ fight off the tarnish? i have the same problem with the gold padlock of my birkin. weird it has never happened with my other B's but only on this one. i also live in nyc and it gets pretty humid in the summer.

I use the Connoisseurs Gold polishing cloth! It works amazing on getting the tarnishing off right away. For the Dehumidifier, any brand is fine. But there is no need to get a super expensive one. I got mine for around $50 from Wal-Mart.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Frivole88