New ad Campaign not your mother’s Tiffany

In my humble opinion, Tiffany did not ask Beyonce to be in an ad. It was the other way around. I think Jay-Z insisted on an ad with Beyonce wearing the Tiffany necklace.

The ad made zero sense... everything about it was wrong, and it was so opposite of the Not Your Mother's campaign which just rolled out a bit earlier. The timing was completely off, almost as if TIffany had to rush to get the Beyonce ad out.
To me, everything about the ad had Jay-Z's fingerprints all over it. I can see him having a lot of input to it.

Yes, they are a cute couple, but they are also publicity hogs.
Here's what I think... Lady Gaga wore the Tiffany diamond and got so much publicity. Beyonce got jealous and wanted the same.
If you recall, Jay-Z recently sold his champagne brand, Armand de Brignac, to LVMH. Price was about $600M. I would bet as part of that deal, Jay-Z said to LVMH, "get my wife in an ad, and let her wear the Tiffany diamond, otherwise, no deal."
I can totally see Jay-Z doing that.

Every Tiffany ad has always tried to sell something... DBTY (Christy Turlington), silver pieces (Not Your Mother's), etc... The whole point of Tiffany ads is to enable you to want to buy that item, the DBTY, or the silver cuff bracelet.

This Beyonce ad is selling Beyonce, nothing else.
Anyway, that's my little theory. :biggrin:

The initial ad campaign that people like me reacted to featured very young women only, not a diverse mix of generations, and they weren't wearing the classic pieces in new ways; it was specifically for their newest line. The takeaway message for me was that women old enough to be mothers couldn't possibly be interested in newer, edgier pieces, nor would those younger women want to look like Audrey Hepburn. I just think it was a hot mess of an ad campaign.

I understand where you’re coming from - and thanks for taking the time to explain. From my experience, ad campaigns are often not isolated. They are gateways - they provide some stepping stones into the general direction the brand is taking or the values they’re embracing as a whole. So the campaign could’ve started with just the few young women, but I think it’s also worth analyzing their choices and campaigns since, which is why I’ve mentioned Beyonce, Blackpink, etc. It can resonate to one woman, but repulse the other. Either way, they sure are finding a new way to define their brand in these times and among their competition, and with it, their pieces.

I rather see an ad on how Tiffany could be incorporated throughout your life.

-Start off graduating high school and getting RTT necklace and bracelet
-After college ends move onto DBTY necklace
-Getting ready for an interview with your Tiffany pen on hand
-Looking to celebrate a new job with Pearl studs
- Creating dinner with a date using Tiffany stemware
- Date becomes engagement with Tiffany setting
- Marriage includes wedding band and cake knife
- Celebrate first born with diamond studs
- Job promotion with Victoria bracelet
- 40th birthday with diamond key
- Etc
Wow! That was fabulous! You should write the next ad for Tiffany!:biggrin::heart:

I rather see an ad on how Tiffany could be incorporated throughout your life.

-Start off graduating high school and getting RTT necklace and bracelet
-After college ends move onto DBTY necklace
-Getting ready for an interview with your Tiffany pen on hand
-Looking to celebrate a new job with Pearl studs
- Creating dinner with a date using Tiffany stemware
- Date becomes engagement with Tiffany setting
- Marriage includes wedding band and cake knife
- Celebrate first born with diamond studs
- Job promotion with Victoria bracelet
- 40th birthday with diamond key
- Etc

This was awesome!
I received my medium fleur de lis key for a milestone birthday so this completely resonates with me.

I understand the want/need to market to a younger crowd but I am starting to become more intolerant of the execution of their marketing and advertising.
Sad because I did have fond memories related to Tiffany when I was younger and I have a lovely SA.
I may have one more piece coming in but after that, I am uncertain about buying more in the future…:oh:

That's really bad. I don't mean, pearl-clutching bad, but just really stupid, not clever or edgy, definitely not punk rock, just...why???

I think Cartier ads/marketing is the best, btw.

Here's more:

Rule #58: "Don’t tell your grandmother but in our opinion, the straighter the spine, the more boring the time."

"RULE #23. Your phone should always eat first and selfies should be snapped on all occasions. Don’t waste your best-looking years acting stuck up."

Last edited:
From the WSJ:

Under LVMH, Tiffany is raising prices on silver and in some instances pairing it with other precious metals and stones. Prices on certain collections are up 7% to 13% from 2020, according to the company. Increases are bigger for some items, such as a “Return to Tiffany” silver charm bracelet—$425, versus $300 a year ago. Some of the increases reflect the rising cost of raw materials, the company said.

“They are OK with losing some consumers,” said Erwan Rambourg, the head of consumer and retail research at HSBC. “They want to compete with Cartier, not with Zales.”

Then why are some of the new ads like the Thanksgiving table featuring slovenly people being rude?

As for the botched ad campaign:

A campaign unveiled in July with the tagline “Not Your Mother’s Tiffany” that features young, hip-looking models created a backlash on social media by customers who felt the slogan was insulting.

“I look up to my mom for her elegance and class,” said Victoria Stafford, a 22-year-old consultant in Logan, Utah, who has a heart-shaped Tiffany necklace that matches one her mother owns. “Why would I want to shop at a brand that is degrading her style?”

Mr. Ledru said the intended message was more along the lines of, “Not Just Your Mother’s Tiffany,” in the hopes of reaching a broader audience. “We knew there would be a strong dialogue,” he said. “We’re ready for that.”

Well then why didn't they just use that as the new tagline?!

From the WSJ:

Under LVMH, Tiffany is raising prices on silver and in some instances pairing it with other precious metals and stones. Prices on certain collections are up 7% to 13% from 2020, according to the company. Increases are bigger for some items, such as a “Return to Tiffany” silver charm bracelet—$425, versus $300 a year ago. Some of the increases reflect the rising cost of raw materials, the company said.

“They are OK with losing some consumers,” said Erwan Rambourg, the head of consumer and retail research at HSBC. “They want to compete with Cartier, not with Zales.”

Then why are some of the new ads like the Thanksgiving table featuring slovenly people being rude?

As for the botched ad campaign:

A campaign unveiled in July with the tagline “Not Your Mother’s Tiffany” that features young, hip-looking models created a backlash on social media by customers who felt the slogan was insulting.

“I look up to my mom for her elegance and class,” said Victoria Stafford, a 22-year-old consultant in Logan, Utah, who has a heart-shaped Tiffany necklace that matches one her mother owns. “Why would I want to shop at a brand that is degrading her style?”

Mr. Ledru said the intended message was more along the lines of, Not Just Your Mother’s Tiffany,” in the hopes of reaching a broader audience. “We knew there would be a strong dialogue,” he said. “We’re ready for that.”

Well then why didn't they just use that as the new tagline?!

They're backpedaling.