New ad Campaign not your mother’s Tiffany

I get that! I love my mom, but I need a lot of space/distance from her. Growing up was rough to say the least. I agree that ads about luxury being handed down does scream privilege. No one in my family ever had luxury items to pass down.

This ad only bothers me because they use Jay Z. He is older than me and over 50! Insults my intelligence and my wallet. My daughters are not interested in him hawking Tiffany to them. I don't get this campaign. Who does LVMH think is paying for most young ladies 1st piece of nice jewelry?

I still like my local Tiffany sales lady, but this ad campaign with Jay Z needs to go. He does not represent youth. Middle age, yes, Beyonce too.

Thoughts about this 'progression':

Marketing messages are in conflict. Lots of different ages love Bey, surely the diametric opposite tactic to the Not Your Mother's Tiffany campaign.

Don't know why JZ is in there except maybe they want to sell more to men, and he represents success in many ways. Men are apparently far more simple to sell to, they all love success (apparently). Didn't see many young guys in the NYMT campaign :search: Don't they have mothers too?

What I used to love about Bey was her 'girl power' as part of a trio or diva solo :party: :queen: . As part of a 'power couple' I find her a lot less interesting and her power somewhat diminished :sleeping: .

If ever there are two people that rep archetypal parents for 21 Century it's this couple. Perhaps they should have called it This is Your Mother's Tiffany, or He Put a Ring On It. Bey still rocks, but Tiffany's marketing need to get their act together, their messages are con-fus-ing, non-harmonious and out-of-step.

The backlash was interesting... :pokey: Lady Gaga wore the same piece - never heard a peep from peeps.:ok: Enough said.

If you are a woman who bought their engagement ring from Tiffany, perhaps had family buy significant gifts - perhaps even that celebrating your birth of children - you would have a reason to be annoyed at Tiffany. You are exactly the demographic Tiffany is risking - the woman who has lovingly introduced Tiffany to their own children. These women are powerful allies for Tiffany and speak to heritage of the brand as a ‘family tradition’.

I'm the demographic Tiffany lost. There is no reason to throw shade at your strongest, longest and most loyal market to appeal to a newer one. The goal should be to add, not detract. What really bothered me is how crass and unsophisticated the campaign was besides not well executed. "Not your mother's ____" or "Not your father's ____" is not a fresh or new idea. That alone IS your mother's or father's marketing-- it's been used! I can see the concept being scribbled on a piece of paper (see, I'm showing my age) to begin a brainstorm session before coming up with a tagline. They could SHOW us innovative pieces unlike their traditional so that we would conclude that on our own without telling us to whom it should appeal. The worst part for me is that the campaign degrades their brand. (I've posted this about me elsewhere in the forum: I have been a customer for over twenty years who made purchases about twice a year and purchased my engagement and wedding bands from them.)

I WAS interested in a Tiffany piece. It would be my first in years. I'm in my late 40s. I came into this forum to peruse before buying. :biggrin: Seeing this ad campaign really turns me off. It screams "Tiffany is dated and tired". I don't want to hear that people don't want to be my age. I follow Lourdes Leon (Madonnas kid) on IG. She had a new post today as the face of a Swarovski campaign. It was super fun. It brought me to their site and they have a lot of new fun pieces. I will go with them.

I agree that's what the ad conveys. Ridic. Timeless beauty doesn't equate tired and dated. Whoever did the ad campaign doesn't know their own brand very well.

Did anyone watch the Beyoncé video on Tiffany’s website? She looked stunning! Her singing was amazing! However, she is singing a slightly new version of Moon River. There is nothing youthful about that song. I thought Tiffany was trying to get away from an “older” image. 20 somethings might not know this song- but this 40 year old does! :lol: Tiffany really needs to figure out their demographic.

Did anyone watch the Beyoncé video on Tiffany’s website? She looked stunning! Her singing was amazing! However, she is singing a slightly new version of Moon River. There is nothing youthful about that song. I thought Tiffany was trying to get away from an “older” image. 20 somethings might not know this song- but this 40 year old does! :lol: Tiffany really needs to figure out their demographic.

As you know, Moon River is from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Your avatar of Audrey Hepburn became synonymous with Tiffany. Is there anyone who would want to distance themselves from that kind of magical nostalgia and ageless grace? So I agree it makes no sense whatsoever that they would dis it in one campaign and elevate it in another. Weirdos.

Overall I agree that hating on mums isn’t new and fresh, and in fact younger people ‘these days’ seem to have closer, healthier and more loving relationships with their mums than in generations past.
Perhaps we are entering an age where women retain more of their social value as they age. Which would make this campaign clumsy.

Exactly. I think Tiffany‘s has completely missed the mark with this one and in fact the result is conveying the exact opposite of what they want, giving the impression of a brand that is not in with the times and has to make an effort to convince us they’re relevant…

In fashion, I find there was a much bigger gap between my generation and our mothers, than what it is now. In fact, fashion and pop culture have become super-referential and the trendier youth of today could not be more interested in decades past, whether it is the 80s (Stranger Things), or 90s fashion, or in music…

My daughter is not yet 18 and says her favorite store to shop is her mum’s closet… :P She jokes about it and her and her friends are forever foraging in vintage shops and Vinted. When I was her age, Lagerfeld’s Chanel flaps were the bags your mother aspired to, you wouldn’t be caught dead in one. My daughter wants one. As for Tiffanys, she’s just watched Halston and is OBSESSED with Elsa Peretti, but finds Tiffany hearts are becoming ‘teenager’.

Exactly. I think Tiffany‘s has completely missed the mark with this one and in fact the result is conveying the exact opposite of what they want, giving the impression of a brand that is not in with the times and has to make an effort to convince us they’re relevant…

In fashion, I find there was a much bigger gap between my generation and our mothers, than what it is now. In fact, fashion and pop culture have become super-referential and the trendier youth of today could not be more interested in decades past, whether it is the 80s (Stranger Things), or 90s fashion, or in music…

My daughter is not yet 18 and says her favorite store to shop is her mum’s closet… :P She jokes about it and her and her friends are forever foraging in vintage shops and Vinted. When I was her age, Lagerfeld’s Chanel flaps were the bags your mother aspired to, you wouldn’t be caught dead in one. My daughter wants one. As for Tiffanys, she’s just watched Halston and is OBSESSED with Elsa Peretti, but finds Tiffany hearts are becoming ‘teenager’.

Cartier has Billy Idol, an 80s icon, as part of their Clash campaign. I love it.

This is my experience with my mom's past fashion trends. I for the most part I was not interested. The fabrics looked awful and uncomfortable. I always thought those looks were dated and never would have worn them as a teenager or young adult. Now my grandparents closet was a different story! :heart:

My daughters will go thru my old clothes from the 90's and jewelry, too. Good quality was made back then, Monet, Napier, etc. They really like the Calvin Klein minimalist. They also really like the early 2000 trends (which I still have :P). They love 2nd hand stores!

My daughters don't get this campaign. They see JayZ and then some different young person in the same campaign. They have commented that I'm the one who introduced them to Tiffany Peretti and Picasso. :confused1:

I can't believe they haven't pulled this campaign.

Reactions: DaintyDiamonds
I finally watched the Beyoncé & Jay Z “Moon River” ad. It’s a pretty version of the song, and I’d like them to release a full version for the holidays tbh.

I was distracted by the Tiffany Diamond necklace B wears at the piano. It keeps moving from her front to her back and switching lengths. It seems to suggest that either there’s a double-ended necklace with two Tiffany Yellows on each end, or that B cosplays as Audrey Hepburn at her piano so often that you can only distinguish her on different days by the length and orientation of the necklace, both of which are weird to think about.

9C64F823-8D06-4A2C-9B5B-442D2F9AE892.jpegEC0B8260-8C11-4344-9A41-28713F6902AD.jpeg

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
I thought more about this and it sounds to be saying "this is the new/current". It's not old fashioned. It isn't really about anyone's numerological age. It isn't that literal.
Just going to chime in this thread - but this is how I interpreted the campaign as well. I don't think it's necessarily ageist. I think Tiffany is just moving away from it's tried, tested and true image and association of Breakfast at Tiffany's/Audrey Hepburn/classic. It's using the campaign to encourage a new and creative way of approaching and wearing their seemingly timeless pieces - not necessarily exclusive to a younger generation, or age. It's just about the new attitude the brand is trying to bring, which probably also explains why the new wave of people wearing them: Rose from Blackpink, Jay-Z and Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc.

Also, just a note to add, I'm sure most of us have had experience going through our mother's (or aunt's) clothes or jewelry or houseware or what have you. But, we find ways to style or wear them a little differently, I think that was the essence of what they were going for.

Reactions: americanroyal89
Just going to chime in this thread - but this is how I interpreted the campaign as well. I don't think it's necessarily ageist. I think Tiffany is just moving away from it's tried, tested and true image and association of Breakfast at Tiffany's/Audrey Hepburn/classic. It's using the campaign to encourage a new and creative way of approaching and wearing their seemingly timeless pieces - not necessarily exclusive to a younger generation, or age. It's just about the new attitude the brand is trying to bring, which probably also explains why the new wave of people wearing them: Rose from Blackpink, Jay-Z and Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc.

Also, just a note to add, I'm sure most of us have had experience going through our mother's (or aunt's) clothes or jewelry or houseware or what have you. But, we find ways to style or wear them a little differently, I think that was the essence of what they were going for.

The initial ad campaign that people like me reacted to featured very young women only, not a diverse mix of generations, and they weren't wearing the classic pieces in new ways; it was specifically for their newest line. The takeaway message for me was that women old enough to be mothers couldn't possibly be interested in newer, edgier pieces, nor would those younger women want to look like Audrey Hepburn. I just think it was a hot mess of an ad campaign.