Neverfull or alma??

I'm curious charleston mom, what issues have you personally had with the neverfull? Because you really can't base your opinion off of other people. If you have a neverfull and you have had problems with peeling, or cracking I understand, but if you go in the forum and just look at the negative comments it isn't quite the same.

I have two very close friends that are SAs. One used to live here and has transferred up north and the other is still close by. Accordingly, I kind of remain in the honest "in the know" about the bags. I was steered away from the neverful by both when one of my daughters was looking at it. The SAs don't care for the bag. It's kind of a running joke actually. One of my friends just rolls her eyes when you mention it. They have SO many complaints they say they don't even like to sell this bag because while they don't get commission, their pay is affected by their numbers and unhappy customers do not make for happy SAs.

Also, I don't need to have actually purchased a bag to have an opinion on how it looks. I get to my boutique once a week on average because I'm often at the mall where the boutique is so I've seen it in person many times. I just don't think the bag is luxurious, pretty or up to the standards for what LV is known for. Even absent all the quality problems which are well-known (and a girl in the office next to mine went through the cracking straps with the ebene MM), but even without that, it's just missing the za za zoom (as Carrie in SATC might have put it -ha ha!) is missing.

My one friend (SA) put it best when he said that this bag is marketed heavily towards a certain clientele that want a huge monogram palate, but aren't looking for classic, luxury LV. When one of my daughters asked her about the neverful, she started literally laughing and said, "Oh no, no, no! Not that one!"

it's funny. If you have a close friend working for LV, you not only hear all the bad and good, but it's really fun hearing what bags the people who work day in and day out, who make their livelihood with the company, feel about style, versatality, quality, and luxury.

In making my decisions, I factor in my own love for LV since my first bag in the mid-70s, many years of experience with enough bags I'd hate to count them, my two friends (one of whom has been with LV over 10 years), my daughters opinions (which factors in the youth vote - LOL!), experiences that I hear about and modeling pics here as well as seeing this bag IRL on so many people.

Mostly though with the neverful, for me anyway, it's the lack of luxury and the fact that there's just nothing to it. If it didn't have the canvas, would this be a bag that you would feel was worth $700? With other LV bags, there is care and hard work, luxury, beautiful leather, hardware, attention to detail. They look like they are worth what they cost. I have a babylone that is many years old that is utterly gorgeous. My daughter stole it for college to carry her laptop. The work that went into that bag with it's cowhide lining, gorgeous trim, beautiful straps - that's what LV was known for. While they are shifting a tad to reach a more mainstream clientele and sell lots of bags, I think it's important not to lose the soul of the brand, the luxury and what used to set it apart, what drew the exclusive clientele years ago, and fostered the lovely bags that last for years. To me, the neverful (and some other newer bags) are a stark and disappointing departure that makes me sad.

I would get the Alma, if you said that you don't really need to carry loads of books
at school why getting the NF? It's up to you but I wouldn't buy a bag and ending up not using it. Goodluck in making your decision!! Keep us posted :smile:

@charleston-mom, well said. ITA!

I'd get the Alma...My SAs steered me away from the Neverfull too. Too many strap issues. I was going to get one for going to the beach and hauling things around when I'm out with the kids. My SAs advised against it...strongly! No need to waste the money...They knew that I'd be unhappy, and that I'd return it...

A Vernis Alma vs the NF - the Alma of course! :drool: How can you resist, especially since part of the cost will be a present. You can always get a NF, it'll be there. I have the Damier NF GM as my tote and love it, although I do not like the NF as a hand bag/PM&MM sizes.

GL deciding....

I have two very close friends that are SAs. One used to live here and has transferred up north and the other is still close by. Accordingly, I kind of remain in the honest "in the know" about the bags. I was steered away from the neverful by both when one of my daughters was looking at it. The SAs don't care for the bag. It's kind of a running joke actually. One of my friends just rolls her eyes when you mention it. They have SO many complaints they say they don't even like to sell this bag because while they don't get commission, their pay is affected by their numbers and unhappy customers do not make for happy SAs.

Also, I don't need to have actually purchased a bag to have an opinion on how it looks. I get to my boutique once a week on average because I'm often at the mall where the boutique is so I've seen it in person many times. I just don't think the bag is luxurious, pretty or up to the standards for what LV is known for. Even absent all the quality problems which are well-known (and a girl in the office next to mine went through the cracking straps with the ebene MM), but even without that, it's just missing the za za zoom (as Carrie in SATC might have put it -ha ha!) is missing.

My one friend (SA) put it best when he said that this bag is marketed heavily towards a certain clientele that want a huge monogram palate, but aren't looking for classic, luxury LV. When one of my daughters asked her about the neverful, she started literally laughing and said, "Oh no, no, no! Not that one!"

it's funny. If you have a close friend working for LV, you not only hear all the bad and good, but it's really fun hearing what bags the people who work day in and day out, who make their livelihood with the company, feel about style, versatality, quality, and luxury.

In making my decisions, I factor in my own love for LV since my first bag in the mid-70s, many years of experience with enough bags I'd hate to count them, my two friends (one of whom has been with LV over 10 years), my daughters opinions (which factors in the youth vote - LOL!), experiences that I hear about and modeling pics here as well as seeing this bag IRL on so many people.

Mostly though with the neverful, for me anyway, it's the lack of luxury and the fact that there's just nothing to it. If it didn't have the canvas, would this be a bag that you would feel was worth $700? With other LV bags, there is care and hard work, luxury, beautiful leather, hardware, attention to detail. They look like they are worth what they cost. I have a babylone that is many years old that is utterly gorgeous. My daughter stole it for college to carry her laptop. The work that went into that bag with it's cowhide lining, gorgeous trim, beautiful straps - that's what LV was known for. While they are shifting a tad to reach a more mainstream clientele and sell lots of bags, I think it's important not to lose the soul of the brand, the luxury and what used to set it apart, what drew the exclusive clientele years ago, and fostered the lovely bags that last for years. To me, the neverful (and some other newer bags) are a stark and disappointing departure that makes me sad.

Thank you for your response. I guess you do get the inside information. I do agree it isn't a "luxury bag". It reminds me of a longchamp tote but a LV. I think there are a couple clientele's with this bag. Yes, a person who wants a big monogram bag at a base price but, it it a very usefull bag as well. It is extremely light weight which is a plus when you carry alot. It's perfect for mom's or school kids,and i don't think either want a luxury bag for daily use. Evening is a different story!!
Since becoming a mother I need something that is very functional, light weight, and easy to get into. Also, I wouldn't mind as much if something happened to it. But, I would be devastated if something happened to my other LV bags.
You make great points and I agree with most of them, but what I find sad is people at LV "laughing about someone buying a neverfull."

Only you can make a decision on what you will get, but in defense of the NF:

- I have the Damier Ebene NF GM I use as a tote for work & travel. It is perfect for me. I have stuffed that thing so many times so of course it can get heavy & the handles uncomfortable. But so does my Speedy, Galliera & Mahinas when I stuff them. I don't have an issue with the handles, comfort or peeling. I was able to get the Damier NF before its release in the US and use it everyday, no problems for me.

- LV is not stupid, if the handles are such a problem, they will fix it or discontinue the bag, bottom line. LV markets the NF because of the handles. My SA & the SAs I deal with in NYC, when asked, said the handles are not a problem, no more than any other bag that has to visit the LV doctor. The only problem they have is the popularity of the bag, everyone wants the NF. (They were gearing up for the Azur NF on 1 Jan and were not looking forward to the stampede).

- The NF is a simple design that is at a price point that appeals to many, just like the Speedy. I don't have a problem with LV releasing bags that appeal to everyone's taste since not everyone is going to like/buy the runway bags. The NF is popular world-wide because of the price point and simple design.

- "NFs are very common"...here we go again with "it's a common bag". Tsk, tsk. I use the word "popular" and have no problem with a bag that is popular and that many people buy since I buy what I like. LV is opening boutiques all over the place & is available online so, in five years, more bags will be 'common' with more 'common' people carrying them. Gasp! Better decide if you can live with that!

I love the Alma, think it's gorgeous, but it's not practical for me. I like the NF because it's not terribly expensive, so I can use it and unintentionally abuse it without worrying about it. I take the bus and trains, so I don't want to always worry my bag will touch someone, etc. Which I would do with an Alma, not so much with my NF. (Well, right now I'm paranoid with my NF because it's azur and less than a week old. But in a month I'll be carefree with it.)

Thanks for the great responses, gr8dane and charleston-mom! I'm not worried about the handles or anything, my problem is that I only buy a new purse once every 6 months so I can get good usage out of them. That being said, if the neverfull won't stand up to harsh school usage, then what's the point? I think I totally agree with Charleston-mom, though, because if the neverfull wasn't LV I wouldn't even consider it--it is quite flimsy. The Alma is a design that will always be in style, so I do think I'll ask my mom for part of the money for the Alma.

well congrats girly it looks like u made up ur mind :biggrin: since u barely carry any school books anyways, no need for the neverfull eh? alma in rose florentin is preeeeety. Can't wait for ur reveal and maybe even modeling pics!? happy shopping!

Thanks everyone!! And another dilemma: I love the color, but I think it is too similar to my Jimmy Choo bag! I went to the boutique today (not mine but another one because it was at the mall I went to) and tried to compare the two bags but the SA was sooo not helpful.