neutered male cat pees! H E L P

Pixie Dust

O.G.
Jun 7, 2013
Hi everyone, I am finally posting here after the nightmare doesn't seem to end. I try to keep my long story short.
So my 5 1/ year old Ragdoll mix cat (male) pees everywhere. It first started roughly 2 years ago against the ironing board. once in a while only. We closed the door so he wouldnt have the chance to go there. It continued. I went to the vet. nothing. At that time I had a second cat (female). I had to send her over the rainbow bridge January 2016 as a huge tumor was found. A first tumor was found in June 2015, my male cat had started to pee around 2 months prior to that. I have been traveling lots ( my father was around when absent) and thought its because of that but recently I even work from home and it continues like crazy. From ironing board to carpet (we had to get rid of all) , couch, walls, bathroom mat, hallway, to my bed( when door was open). I thought he might be lonely or because he is an indoor cat but even when I let him out - that day he came back in in the middle of the night he peed ON ME. This was enough. I went a third time to the vet and got everything possible tested - incl urine - the results were he has struvite ( stones) in his bladder - so now he is on meds for a week but the peeing hasn't stopped (yet). I am still hoping this is the case and was long not found. Usually he would run around the flat crying. So maybe he was in pain and now slowly the meds are working.
Today while I was cleaning the couch and then let it dry. In a quick unattended second he went there AGAIN!
Its so frustrating. My nerves don't exist anymore.
The thing also is - I want to move to another country (big city) soon but I can't flat share or move into a flat with a peeing cat.
I would get a second one if this is the reason he is peeing - but since he marked the territory long before my second cat died I am not sure if this really is the cause.

Facts: he has 3 cat toilets (now 4 -near the sofa where he pees, he uses all of them) with two different types of cat litter (i tried a few), lots of toys and many places to sleep and scratch. I feed him 4 x 100g ( 4 x 3.5 oz) portions of organic cat wet food which he really likes. He weighs around 11 lbs. I cant really let him outside, only occasionally. When I'm traveling for work my father watches him (but he is alone until the evening)
I bought feliway (useless), bought cleaning stuff to get rid of cat odor (so he cant smell it anymore to pee there again). Play with him and cuddle him as often as possible.
He started peeing when he was around 3. I got him from a cat hoarder/breeder and the cats might have not been socialized/ feed well enough (as a baby he would eat so fast so he had to puke) .
The thing is I have many more work trips scheduled but I can't get out of the house if he pees everywhere- i would need to lock all doors in the apartment and he would still pee in the hallway.
The other cat I had -they weren't best friends no cuddling etc.
I am self employed so I can schedule my trips but I have just been cleaning for the past week and I can't anymore.

I would get a second cat if this is the cure but what if not - then I have two cats, a lot of more work and pee.

If anybody has an idea please help me. I can't let my career suffer but I also don't want to give him away (and who would take him?)

Thank you.

Last edited:
my mom has spent hundreds on her dog that pees non-stop and has for almost his entire life. constantly looking for a medical reason/solution and there isn't a cause. i finally told her to put him in a diaper during the day and it worked, so at least the mess wasn't all over her house. do they sell cat diapers?? sounds dorky, but whatever works, right. the diapers went on for a year and my mom just gave him up to a rescue organization last month, after having him 11 years. it was so hard for her, but she disclosed his peeing issue and someone adopted him through the rescue anyway. it could be so many things causing your cat to do this, but if your own life is suffering you should consider other options for the cat, especially if you know you'll be moving. my mom was suffering from frayed nerves over this, crying all the time, etc. it was hard on her and a pet isn't supposed to cause that level of stress.

Hi everyone, I am finally posting here after the nightmare doesn't seem to end. I try to keep my long story short.
So my 5 1/ year old Ragdoll mix cat (male) pees everywhere. It first started roughly 2 years ago against the ironing board. once in a while only. We closed the door so he wouldnt have the chance to go there. It continued. I went to the vet. nothing. At that time I had a second cat (female). I had to send her over the rainbow bridge January 2016 as a huge tumor was found. A first tumor was found in June 2015, my male cat had started to pee around 2 months prior to that. I have been traveling lots ( my father was around when absent) and thought its because of that but recently I even work from home and it continues like crazy. From ironing board to carpet (we had to get rid of all) , couch, walls, bathroom mat, hallway, to my bed( when door was open). I thought he might be lonely or because he is an indoor cat but even when I let him out - that day he came back in in the middle of the night he peed ON ME. This was enough. I went a third time to the vet and got everything possible tested - incl urine - the results were he has struvite ( stones) in his bladder - so now he is on meds for a week but the peeing hasn't stopped (yet). I am still hoping this is the case and was long not found. Usually he would run around the flat crying. So maybe he was in pain and now slowly the meds are working.
Today while I was cleaning the couch and then let it dry. In a quick unattended second he went there AGAIN!
The thing also is - I want to move to another country (big city) soon but I can't flat share or move into a flat with a peeing cat.
I would get a second one if this is the reason he is peeing - but since he marked the territory long before my second cat died I am not sure if this really is the cause.

Facts: he has 3 cat toilets (now 4 -near the sofa where he pees, he uses all of them) with two different types of cat litter (i tried a few), lots of toys and many places to sleep and scratch. I feed him 4 x 100g ( 4 x 3.5 oz) portions of organic cat wet food which he really likes. He weighs around 11 lbs. I cant really let him outside, only occasionally. When I'm traveling for work my father watches him (but he is alone until the evening)
I bought feliway (useless), bought cleaning stuff to get rid of cat odor (so he cant smell it anymore to pee there again). Play with him and cuddle him as often as possible.
He started peeing when he was around 3. I got him from a cat hoarder/breeder and the cats might have not been socialized/ feed well enough (as a baby he would eat so fast so he had to puke) .
The thing is I have many more work trips scheduled but I can't get out of the house if he pees everywhere- i would need to lock all doors in the apartment and he would still pee in the hallway.
I am self employed so I can schedule my trips but I have just been cleaning for the past week and I can't anymore.

I would get a second cat if this is the cure but what if not - then I have two cats, a lot of more work and pee.

If anybody has an idea please help me. I can't let my career suffer but I also don't want to give him away (and who would take him?)

Thank you.

He's probably peeing because he is uncomfortable from the urinary tract infection or the struvite crystals/stones. If you've ever had a urinary tract infection, it feels the same for cats. They have a constant urge to go and can't help it. People have said that when they switch their cat to a raw diet, it clears up. Cats are "obligate carnivores" which means that they really do need meat. (That's why their teeth look different than dogs.) Anyway, if you're at the end of your rope, it might be worth trying. When I had kitties, I went through the same thing, and it ended with putting my cat to sleep because we just couldn't have him peeing all over creation. It was very sad. :sad: This was 20 years ago before anyone knew about raw diets. Vets are often opposed, but there are also vets that wholeheartedly support raw feeding. You might want to look online or try finding one that will help you. There are also numerous raw groups on Facebook. If I had known about it back then, I would have given it a try. Good luck! :smile:

Reactions: Baglady777
He's probably peeing because he is uncomfortable from the urinary tract infection or the struvite crystals/stones. If you've ever had a urinary tract infection, it feels the same for cats. They have a constant urge to go and can't help it. People have said that when they switch their cat to a raw diet, it clears up. Cats are "obligate carnivores" which means that they really do need meat. (That's why their teeth look different than dogs.) Anyway, if you're at the end of your rope, it might be worth trying. When I had kitties, I went through the same thing, and it ended with putting my cat to sleep because we just couldn't have him peeing all over creation. It was very sad. :sad: This was 20 years ago before anyone knew about raw diets. Vets are often opposed, but there are also vets that wholeheartedly support raw feeding. You might want to look online or try finding one that will help you. There are also numerous raw groups on Facebook. If I had known about it back then, I would have given it a try. Good luck! :smile:

thank you so much for yours words. my cat is really picky what he eats. I tried raw but he doesnt like it. my father - when he looks after him doesnt have the patience and throws the meat away- i had it happen. i would just leave it for days until cat is hungry enough to eat haha.

is there a chance these struvit crystals are there for years already? he is very impatient and walking around meowing. i think it has gotten better. but im not sure. i always thought he s peeing because he is bored. but maybe it really is the infection. he is on medication for a week now. i know i have to be patient but its so frustrating. to stay home all the time because of that. (my father wont feed him the medication so i cant leave)
i dont feed him any dry food anymore for a couple of days. his urine - even if he uses the litter box (and also the one i find on the floor when he sprays it) smells really intense -like very concentrated and is very yellow. i know its urine but maybe its a sign ? he pees (or tries? ) several times a day but i wonder how it is possible because i never seen him drink.

Thank you.
I would also suggest scrubbing the litter boxes and put in fresh litter. If his medical issue is the cause then it may not help but it would rule out any stinky smells that could deter litter box use. They make cat litter with something that’s intended to attract cats to the box. You could try that in one of the boxes. Is the issue only when urinating?

I would also suggest scrubbing the litter boxes and put in fresh litter. If his medical issue is the cause then it may not help but it would rule out any stinky smells that could deter litter box use. They make cat litter with something that’s intended to attract cats to the box. You could try that in one of the boxes. Is the issue only when urinating?

he uses the litter box and everywhere else in the flat

My cat had similar habits after the death of his older brother. He would howl and wander our house endlessly. We threw out sofas and rugs and were at a loss because the vet said he was otherwise healthy. We read it could be caused by stress so we thought he might be depressed. We adopted another kitty after 4 months and everything changed. He started using the box regularly and we have only had a few issues since. Our kitty is almost 16 now and was 12 when the issues started. It is always a risk adopting another pet but it worked for us. We adopted an 8 week female kitty so our older kitty would not feel the need to compete for dominance. We do still use Feliway and Cat Attract to help keep everyone happy.

My cat had similar habits after the death of his older brother. He would howl and wander our house endlessly. We threw out sofas and rugs and were at a loss because the vet said he was otherwise healthy. We read it could be caused by stress so we thought he might be depressed. We adopted another kitty after 4 months and everything changed. He started using the box regularly and we have only had a few issues since. Our kitty is almost 16 now and was 12 when the issues started. It is always a risk adopting another pet but it worked for us. We adopted an 8 week female kitty so our older kitty would not feel the need to compete for dominance. We do still use Feliway and Cat Attract to help keep everyone happy.

amazing to hear! mine though did that already before she left us so I am not sure. thats why i am hesitant. he was walking around nervously and crying. i m hoping its the struvit. if not maybe a second one ( I would take a female baby cat, my other one was a female too).

does anybody know how long cats can have struvit if not treated? forever? can it remain on a constant level for 1-2 years before getting worse ?

amazing to hear! mine though did that already before she left us so I am not sure. thats why i am hesitant. he was walking around nervously and crying. i m hoping its the struvit. if not maybe a second one ( I would take a female baby cat, my other one was a female too).

does anybody know how long cats can have struvit if not treated? forever? can it remain on a constant level for 1-2 years before getting worse ?
I always think cats sense things humans cannot. Like that cat at that lives at that nursing home and will only lay with patients about to die. My least snuggly kitty started to curl up on my belly when I was 8 weeks pregnant. Who knows. I always wish they could tell me what they are thinking/feeling.

I do hope you are able to find an easy answer.

I went through this with Jinjy. Ultimately, I put him on Prozac to help him break the cycle of whatever was stressing him. Stress causes struvite as much as diet does so you end up in a cycle. I then put puppy pads in some of his favorite places to pee. I eased him off the Prozac but every now and again, something sets him off and he goes on a rampage and back on Prozac he goes. Puppy pads saved my sanity. He still finds new places to go and I’ll deal with that by putting puppy pads in those places.

Acupuncture also helped.

Bear in mind that it will never completely stop but it can be minimized.

thank you so much for yours words. my cat is really picky what he eats. I tried raw but he doesnt like it. my father - when he looks after him doesnt have the patience and throws the meat away- i had it happen. i would just leave it for days until cat is hungry enough to eat haha.

is there a chance these struvit crystals are there for years already? he is very impatient and walking around meowing. i think it has gotten better. but im not sure. i always thought he s peeing because he is bored. but maybe it really is the infection. he is on medication for a week now. i know i have to be patient but its so frustrating. to stay home all the time because of that. (my father wont feed him the medication so i cant leave)
i dont feed him any dry food anymore for a couple of days. his urine - even if he uses the litter box (and also the one i find on the floor when he sprays it) smells really intense -like very concentrated and is very yellow. i know its urine but maybe its a sign ? he pees (or tries? ) several times a day but i wonder how it is possible because i never seen him drink.

I am not a vet, but it doesn't sound as if he is doing this because he is lonely. It sounds like he has an infection, and/or crystals in his urine. If his urine is very concentrated, it is probably because he is not drinking enough water. If he is walking around meowing it is probably because the crystals are causing him pain. Please don't stop giving him his medication. He probably is not any happier about this than you are. :sad: Do you have a small room like a laundry room or bathroom that you could confine him for a bit so he isn't peeing all over your apartment? Not feeding dry food is probably a good idea, and he'll get more moisture from the wet food. What kind of raw diet did you try?

This is from a cat website: Generally speaking, struvite stones / crystals will form when the animal's urine PH becomes neutral or alkaline (PH 7 or greater) and urine is concentrated. Carnivores (dogs and cats) that eat a fresh red meat based diet naturally produce acidic urine which prevents this crystal formation.

Also... good information here...

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/crystals-raw-diets-and-water

Last edited:
he now eats high protein wet food. it has almost no carbs. only meat.
i saw him go pee in the litter box a few times today and caught him trying to pee on the couch. as soon as the couch is dry ( i sprayed it and hopefully he cant smell any urine anymore) i will put a plastic cover on it and then watch him,, if he goes there ill take water pistol and spray him away. i hope he will not look for another spot.

is there a chance these crystals have been there for like 2 years ?

The interesting thing is all the cats I had that ate raw meat never had problems. we never had to go to the vet. the past two (him and the one that died) always have issues (and i am feeding them organic food already) isnt that weird?

If your cat has crystals and/or UTI, he will probably be doing different behavior than if he was upset and felt the need to mark territory. I'm not sure what country you are in, but has your vet suggested a prescription diet such as Hill's CD?

I've had a few males that developed crystals (and currently have a female with the problem) and the first symptoms are the frantic running between the litterbox and other points of the house to make a couple of dribbles of urine before running to the next spot to do it again. Most of the cats responded well to the special diet, but it had to be their only food for the rest of their lives. I had one boy that needed the P/U surgery to remove his penis and give him a larger hole because his crystals/stones couldn't be controlled with diet alone. Even after surgery, Willy still had UTI's, but at least he never blocked again. Untreated crystals can cause blockage and a painful death to the cat if you can't get them resolved.

The Hill's CD comes in both canned and dry versions, and if your pet sitter doesn't want to mess with wet food, keeping the dry around may be a good option for the cat and caretaker. I know some folks will disagree with the Prescription Diets, but sometimes that will be the best option for the cat and his people. Raw and home cooked diets do require more effort on the part of the caregiver, but if you have the time and knowledge to fix the proper food, they can help too.