Tech Netbook for a 11year old

The Asus EePCs are pretty decent and inexpensive. Keep in mind that he won't be able to do much on a netbook, aside from surf the web. If he's into any kind of gaming or anything that's going to take a lot of space or RAM, you might want to consider a regular pc or mac.

But, if you know you want a netbook, keep your eye on Dealnews.com- there are some great bargains on the for netbooks. We've been considering one for my daughter, who is just learning to use a mouse and thinks the most exciting thing in the world is starfall.com, and we've been watching Dealnews for one for her Christmas present.

Why a netbook? What will he be using the computer for?

Honestly, I don't know the difference between a Netbook and a Notebook. I was going with the Netbook since it's smaller in size but not really for any other reason. Should I go for a Notebook instead?

Basically I want him to have his own computer because the desktop went out and I am tired of sharing my Laptop with him. I really want him to have his own computer.

I want to get him his own computer for school and he also likes to play games. He has never downloaded any movies or music but that may change as he gets older.

Yeah, then you want to look at a laptop for him that's a bit more feature and hardware packed. Of course, it's going to cost a bit more than a Netbook.

If he's not concerned with how pretty it is, check www.compusa.com and see what they have on sale. They always have good deals. I've never had any issues with Dell, and they make decently priced laptops too. Your basic, entry level, $400-600 laptop should do fine..unless he's a hardcore gamer.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

What is the difference between a Notebook and a NetBook?
a Notebook is a regular computer, a Netbook isn't. It doesn't have or do all the stuff a regular computer does. So you want to get him a Notebook. Which is the same thing as a laptop, for all practical intents and shopping purposes.

I would say get him a Toshiba. That's what I have. They have the reputation of being "workhorses" for a reason. They last longer, and aren't as delicate as some notebooks are.

I would probably not spend a lot of money trying to get him the fanciest one on the shelf, because the nature of the beast is that it will become outdated in a few years anyway, so think of it as buying the sturdy, well-constructed brown coat with the warm lining instead of the ruched fuschia velveteen with the designer label and rhinestone buttons.

Technically, a Netbook can do the same things as a Notebook, but it's not advisable. They can both run the same programs and operating systems, but the Netbook has a smaller screen and typically will have less memory and storage. They're basically ultra portable web browsers/organizers.

I think a notebook would be a better idea, my friend's wife has a netbook and its soooo slow compared to my notebook. If you want something small for him you can get something that is 12 or 13 inches. Those are really light and portable.

With windows 7 coming out there will be a lot of price decreases on notebooks with Vista. Or if you want you can wait for windows 7 to come out.

Netbooks are mainly for portability (taking to lecture for notes etc.) If the machine will be at home most of the time, I'd also recommend the Notebook as others have said. Netbooks are a little tough on the eyes and poor gaming machines. My little sister is also 11 years old, she has her own desktop but always says a laptop would be so much more useful because she could bring it downstairs and use it while watching tv and such.

I use my netbook mainly for internet use only. It doesn't have a cd/dvd drive, has very little memory but it does have a couple of usb ports.

I got my daughter a dell notebook. They're relatively inexpensive, and comes in different colors. You can customize your notebook online before you order and you can see the price breakdown for everything you want. There are alot of great back to school sales now.