Nervous about flying over Spratly islands?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Does anyone have any opinions regarding flights over the disputed Spratly island chain between China and Malaysia / Phillipines ?
    My young daughter is flying with a school group to Japan by way of Singapore later in the year, and her flight path will be right through that disputed area.
    Since the Malaysian airlines debacle I am really not happy about having her travel through a militarised zone.
    I haven't heard anything in the press about any planes avoiding this busy corridor, in spite of the escalating tension. Chinese authorities are now asking civilian planes to identify themselves when flying through the area apparently.

2. Good luck!

3. I think that in the same place the same thing (at least in a few years) won't happen.

4. I wouldn't be comfortable with that. One of my options to fly back from Europe was through Istanbul. I turned that option down like lightening. Nowadays it's just not prudent to go places that are "hot" in the news. Why not mitigate the damages?

5. What do you mean by "militarized" zone? I don't remember any declaration of any sort from any of the countries involved. In any case, the tension in the region is nowhere near the conditions in Ukraine or Turkey. It should be safe. If the dispute escalates, it will probably happen first at sea, not via air.