Neo Greenwich Damier Cobalt or Mono Macassar?

prepster

Mar 4, 2016
I'm considering this bag for travel, and it will need to count as a personal item on a flight and go under the seat. I (slightly) prefer the Mono Mac., color-wise, but the Damier Cobalt PM size-wise, so I'm having a hard time deciding. Finding very little in previous threads, so possibly not many tPFers own these bags...???

If you do, I'd love to know if you like it, and if it works well for you for travel. I notice the Mono Mac has a web strap and the DC has leather, any preference? All input appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm considering this bag for travel, and it will need to count as a personal item on a flight and go under the seat. I (slightly) prefer the Mono Mac., color-wise, but the Damier Cobalt PM size-wise, so I'm having a hard time deciding. Finding very little in previous threads, so possibly not many tPFers own these bags...???

If you do, I'd love to know if you like it, and if it works well for you for travel. I notice the Mono Mac has a web strap and the DC has leather, any preference? All input appreciated. Thanks!
I don't own this bag but I have considered it many times. It's a gorgeous travel companion! :heart: I personally prefer the Monogram Macassar version for that black leather ages beautifully, getting a shiny patina over time. (I own the larger (original) Greenwhich in DE, which was my first LV Bag!).

As a side note, a personal item is not defined by whether or not it fits under the seat in front of you. You can check out weight and size requirements (or a description of what is allowed - usually purse, briefcase, or backpack) for personal items on your airline's website.

Reactions: prepster
I don't own this bag but I have considered it many times. It's a gorgeous travel companion! :heart: I personally prefer the Monogram Macassar version for that black leather ages beautifully, getting a shiny patina over time. (I own the larger (original) Greenwhich in DE, which was my first LV Bag!).

As a side note, a personal item is not defined by whether or not it fits under the seat in front of you. You can check out weight and size requirements (or a description of what is allowed - usually purse, briefcase, or backpack) for personal items on your airline's website.

Thanks very much, I love hearing your thoughts! I lean toward the Mono Macassar (18.1" x 13.8" x 9.1") because I've started to collect other pieces too, but it's 3" larger than the DE (17.3" x 12.6" x 8.3"). Maybe this is splitting hairs. TSA says a "personal item" is “a laptop computer, purse, small backpack, briefcase, or camera case.” United says 9" x 10" x 17." Air France says 16" x 12" x 6". American says a max. dimension of 36 inches. I've never been stopped at the gate with a carry-on and a personal item, but my personal item has always clearly qualified as a "purse or briefcase." I'm just wondering if Neo Greenwich is pushing the bounds. What I hear them say a lot to people at the gate is that if they're bringing on two pieces, one has to be able to fit under the seat. I also occasionally fly small commuter jets that gate-check most carry-ons. I'd be bummed to have to gate-check both pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabuleux
Thanks very much, I love hearing your thoughts! I lean toward the Mono Macassar (18.1" x 13.8" x 9.1") because I've started to collect other pieces too, but it's 3" larger than the DE (17.3" x 12.6" x 8.3"). Maybe this is splitting hairs. TSA says a "personal item" is “a laptop computer, purse, small backpack, briefcase, or camera case.” United says 9" x 10" x 17." Air France says 16" x 12" x 6". American says a max. dimension of 36 inches. I've never been stopped at the gate with a carry-on and a personal item, but my personal item has always clearly qualified as a "purse or briefcase." I'm just wondering if Neo Greenwich is pushing the bounds. What I hear them say a lot to people at the gate is that if they're bringing on two pieces, one has to be able to fit under the seat.
I fly mostly Air France between Europe and the USA and the staff is usually very lenient (I mostly fly Business but I noticed the same in Premium and in Economy). The problem is more on smaller regional jets. I have been asked to check my Pégase at the gate. :tdown: Staff seems a lot stricter on these small flights. I adore the Greenwich PM! I hope you get it and post lots of pictures for us!!! :loveeyes:

Reactions: prepster
I fly mostly Air France between Europe and the USA and the staff is usually very lenient (I mostly fly Business but I noticed the same in Premium and in Economy). The problem is more on smaller regional jets. I have been asked to check my Pégase at the gate. :tdown: Staff seems a lot stricter on these small flights. I adore the Greenwich PM! I hope you get it and post lots of pictures for us!!! :loveeyes:

I fly Business class almost always too, so I'm probably fretting over nothing. I'm just so used to traveling with my tried-and-true pieces, now that I have a new wheeled carry-on as well, I feel like I'm having to reinvent the wheel. I guess I'll just have to try it and see how it works. If it ends up being too large, I can always relegate it to car trips.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever had to gate-check it on a commuter flight.

Last edited: