Neimans - some not carrying MJ anymore?

nascar fan

just cruising
O.G.
Jul 3, 2009
Does anyone know why some Neimans would stop carrying MJ handbags?
Our only Ft. Worth Neimans is no longer carrying them. The Plano (suburb of Dallas) Neimans no longer carries them. The downtown Dallas Neimans has 1 on the floor.

What is going on???

I think its a sign of the economic times - a lot of stores have cut designers from their inventories or reduced the amount of inventory that they carry.

Saks is a big one that's made these kinds of cuts. That's part of the reason they had that huge sale last fall in order to rid themselves of inventory (and they were doing so poorly they needed to do something to generate some kind of revenue). Once that sale was all over, they announced that many stores would no longer be carrying certain designers and that their orders for future season would be greatly reduced.

Many NM and Barneys stores have made the same kind of cuts. Even MJ stores themselves - I'd say MJ stores didn't order/buy at least half of the things shown on their website for F/W

Hopefully as things begin to improve, dept stores and retailers will add more inventory and gradually add back some of the designers that they've cut, but I think that in the near future, we're going to be seeing less & less of MJ

How will we survive? I was under the impression the MJ boutiques and MJ were one and the same. They have to buy the bags from MJ? Are they franchises or something? Shows my ignorance.

So do we all need to stock up now because one day they will no longer be around? :confused1: :thinking: That sounds like a good reason to go shopping - but would be a tragedy!

Last edited:
How will we survive? I was under the impression the MJ boutiques and MJ were one and the same. They have to buy the bags from MJ? Are they franchises or something? Shows my ignorance.

So do we all need to stock up now because one day they will no longer be around? :confused1: :thinking: That sounds like a good reason to go shopping - but would be a tragedy!

MJ Boutiques are MJ (they are the same), but they do a "buy" for their stores just like department stores do. In the past, there's always been a few styles here and there thay they didn't order for their US stores (i.e, the BB Bag from F08, the Memphis SLGs in S09) that were available in foreign markets like Asia, the UK or Canada. But this season, there were entire lines that weren't purchased in addition to certain styles (i.e., the Memphis collection, the Quilted Cecelia, none of the SLGs except for the ZC and Key Pouches, etc).

Hopefully as the economic climate improves, the stores start to carry more inventory

It's not just MJ either - a lot of other designers have been cut from stores as well. I think Miu Miu pulled all its bags from dept stores and the only place you can buy them now is in their boutiques

MJ Boutiques are MJ (they are the same), but they do a "buy" for their stores just like department stores do. In the past, there's always been a few styles here and there thay they didn't order for their US stores (i.e, the BB Bag from F08, the Memphis SLGs in S09) that were available in foreign markets like Asia, the UK or Canada. But this season, there were entire lines that weren't purchased in addition to certain styles (i.e., the Memphis collection, the Quilted Cecelia, none of the SLGs except for the ZC and Key Pouches, etc).

Hopefully as the economic climate improves, the stores start to carry more inventory

It's not just MJ either - a lot of other designers have been cut from stores as well. I think Miu Miu pulled all its bags from dept stores and the only place you can buy them now is in their boutiques
And things will get better. They can't get much worse. I know I've been doing my part to help retail sales/the economy. :graucho:

Thank you for all of the info.

I went to the NM at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, CA and noticed that they no longer carry MJ either. It seems they've just decided to carry different brands like - Chanel, Gucci, Nancy Gonzalez, Kooba, Tory Burch, Fendi and LV. Those are the only ones I remember, but I was surprised that MJ was missing and there was a new large LV section.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the Bloomies at the same place had a very small section and selection of MJ bags. I think they've greatly reduced their inventory. Although they had a good selection of MbMJ bags.

as it's been mentioned, department stores have reduced their fall orders by 20% or more plus mj was pulled from locations where it was not performing well. fortunately and unfortunately, depending on your outlook on designer exclusivity and shopping patterns, this means it'll be harder to find mj bags and even less of them on sale.

Yeap, the NM here in DC has stopped stocking on MJ as well. They used to have one of the best selections in comparison to Saks and Bloomies. :sad:

It is highly disappointing to me as a consumer to have limited retail options for purchasing a bag, especially if I'm trying to find it on sale. I haven't checked my local NM, but I'm sure that like the Saks in my area, they will have very few MJ collection and more MbMJ.

I can understand why some retailers are pulling back and trying to order items they think will sell (i.e. classic colors like black, etc, instead of blue - the Saks in my area only had the same Blake, MP, ZCs, and key pouches in black =[ ), but it is so frustrating on the consumer side...

^ My Saks only have the Classic. They didn't even have the Single let alone any Stardust items. Come to think of it, they didn't even have any Stams.