Neiman Marcus returns

annmac

Imabaghag
O.G.
Mar 26, 2011
I made a return instire on Sunday and they didn't have any cash. So they insisted to put it in my Visa debit card even though i paid cash. I was really annoyed and the Manager incharge keeps on saying. "we are not a bank!" duh don't you think i know that! A high end dept. Store should have enough money on hand for returns. Anyway, i've been checking my debit card and jt is not there yet! Is this normal for them to take this long? My experience with Nordstrom and other stores it usually goes back in my card even before i leave. What should i do? Help will be appreciated. TIA.

1. No stores carry more than a small to moderate amount of cash in-store. Notice how even businesses that deal more with cash (convenience stores, fast food) keep only small amounts on-hand in the register and safe.

Besides making registers and the store a draw for thieves, having large amounts of cash on-hand is viewed as unnecessary in this credit/debit card modern shopping society. As extremely few customers pay in cash in luxury stores, this is normally not an issue. The majority of customers do not carry large amounts of cash with them. Most stores will issue you a check from their corporate office; I've never heard of the debit card option.

2. You made a return on a Sunday, and then Monday was a holiday, so the banks were all closed. Processing time depends on your bank, and on when the store/company does their transaction uploading/processing. A few days wait is the norm, plus you cannot count Sunday or Monday in that waiting period.

Definitely hold on to your receipt though, "just in case". Hopefully it posts for you soon.

I had a debt card issue with them a few months ago. Over the summer they were having an additional percentage off of sale merchandise online. Normally, I use my mother's NM card, but stuff was popping up and selling fast so I just used my debit card rather than getting her card or login info. Numerous orders I placed were cancelled immediately and my card was never charged. I was told they were having inventory and technical issues. But they charged my debit card one order for a YSL bag that was cancelled immediately after it was placed. When I had gotten the order confirmation and cancellation, it had said that my card had not yet been charged, but when I looked at my bank account, my card had been charged. They explained that this was standard procedure with debit cards and that it would take a least a week for my card to be credited. To me, this was unacceptable because the order (like 90% of the orders my mother and I placed that day) was never able to be fulfilled due to issues on their end and emails that I received from them specifically said my card would not be charged.

After a few calls and an email to CS where I gave them my mother's NM info so they could see how frequently we shop there, they emailed me a $100 e-giftcard and then mailed me another $100 on top of it for all of the trouble.

I would expect it to take a week for your card to be credited, but definitely keep your receipt.

1. No stores carry more than a small to moderate amount of cash in-store. Notice how even businesses that deal more with cash (convenience stores, fast food) keep only small amounts on-hand in the register and safe.

Besides making registers and the store a draw for thieves, having large amounts of cash on-hand is viewed as unnecessary in this credit/debit card modern shopping society. As extremely few customers pay in cash in luxury stores, this is normally not an issue. The majority of customers do not carry large amounts of cash with them. Most stores will issue you a check from their corporate office; I've never heard of the debit card option.

2. You made a return on a Sunday, and then Monday was a holiday, so the banks were all closed. Processing time depends on your bank, and on when the store/company does their transaction uploading/processing. A few days wait is the norm, plus you cannot count Sunday or Monday in that waiting period.

Definitely hold on to your receipt though, "just in case". Hopefully it posts for you soon.

Completely agree.

To the OP: I understand that usually you should be refunded in the same method as you made the purchase. However if it's over 500$, I think it's unreasonable that you ask for it to be returned in cash. There are major risks for the stores and for yourself as well. People seeing you with all that cash is just you asking to be robbed. For this reason, when department stores ring up major purchases, they do not even say the total sum outloud in case others might be over-listening and I hate it when they do. Just shows that they were not trained right.