Neiman Marcus doesn't take mastercard or visa ??!!?!?!

NM Last Call stores take MC/Visa, which I was surprised to find out. I don't understand if the NM website and Last Calls stores can accept MC/V why the stand-alone stores can't?? I wonder if it's a "prestige" thing?

I have never shopped at NM, so this comes as new to me. Wonder if NM nearby don't accept anyting but cash, Amex, personal check (weird), and their store card. It is not a big deal to pay cash (IMO), but I just don't like to the idea of carrying well over $1,000 in my wallet. It is crazy. Definitely drive some customers away though. :nogood:

It definitely drives customers away. I went to buy make-up at the Chanel counter in one Neiman's store, and when I realized that the store didn't accept my Visa debit card, I walked across the mall to Saks to buy make-up there! There's no way that I was going to pay ATM fees when Saks accepts everything.

For the record, I don't think that it's a prestige thing. It's because Neiman's is cheap and they don't want to pay the credit fees per transaction.

i'm not offended by the policy, but i do see it as them not taking care of clients AS GOOD as other stores.

and by other stores, i mean target, kroger's, wal-mart...

which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.

saks gets all of my business and that's a lot of business.

It's their right to accept whatever tender they see fit. I can't see any reason to be offended.

I agree too. Every store dictates to a certain extent what form of payment you can use. Up until two years ago the only credit card I had was an American Express, I used it because I wanted to get Skymiles. I ended up having to get a Visa because there were so many places that wouldn't accept my AMEX. This happened quite frequently when I traveled overseas and I got tired of carrying a lot of cash with me. Every store has the right to choose what cards they will and will not accept.

i'm not offended by the policy, but i do see it as them not taking care of clients AS GOOD as other stores.

and by other stores, i mean target, kroger's, wal-mart...

which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.

saks gets all of my business and that's a lot of business.

I have to disagree with you on that. I've never had any problems with NM and if something has been wrong or if I've needed a return, they take care of me. They've even sent a gift basket at Christmas to my home as a "thank you".

If that isn't taking care of a customer, I don't know what is.

I just tried to buy a Bowling from Neiman's in San Diego, and the SA said that NM doesn't take mastercard or visa in their stores. She said that they only take NM card or Amex. I've never heard that! I've bought things from NM, and I could have sworn that I've used my MC.

NM is one my fave stores. I've never been to a NM that didn't take Amex or NM card. This really doesn't bother me, since I have both cards.

I live in SD and live at Fashion's.

Yeah, it's kind of a hassle to have to "plan" on buying something and remember to carry cash or a checkbook, especially since I have to travel out of town to go to one... but no one else carries the full Prada Beauty line :shrugs:

I had a cashier at a NM's cafe snap at me once because I pulled out a Mastercard. I actually did know that NM didn't accept that, but it was just out of habit (it's the card I generally use). A little too touchy for me...

Ah yes....I learned about NM not accepting external credit cards the hard way. I was at the register with a Balenciaga First (I had spent a long time choosing one with the "perfect leather") pulled out my debit card and was turned away. The SA asked me if I wanted to open a card (no) or if I wanted to pay with cash (what ATM will allow you to dispense $1000 in one day)?! I stomped home and had to return the next day with my check book. :P