Neighbors!

I live in a two family house and I share the basement(which is a storage area) with the other tentants. Well, first of all, let me tell you guys when I first moved there they gave me sh*t because the owner told them to move some of their stuff because they were taking the whole space because the other tentant moved out a while ago, and now I know why. Well, the way the area is designed it's splits into two areas which are about equal. The one area looks smaller but it has a side door with a ;little attached room. So, basically equal in size when the room is added. For the forst four months of my being there, they wouldn't move anything. So, my boyfriend speaks to them nicely to ask them. I swear he was nice, because I wouldn';t have him harassing people and not people I live with. So,they're all smiles and say yes infront of us. A week after that, I overhear them saying to neighbors "she asked her boyfriend to come over and scare us!" :nuts:

I let it go because slowly some stuff is being taken out. After being there almost 6 months they tell me what space is mine and it's just the small room. They claim they can't move anything else and out right told me they will not be payong for storage. They were here longer and me and my boyfriend do not scare them. :confused1: They also inform me I should be ashamed of myself and him because they are older than I am. I ignore them and move some of the stuff into the room. I make it fit with a bit of room left over. Now, my room looks like a pigstye because I have to keep my junk there. But I don't mind too much.

Now, nearly two months after this, I go down to find my cds because my computer crashed. I'm looking throw my boxes and find them. I was also storing stuff in box from places like NM and the like which had my name on them. So, I go into one to see what's in it and I see it's their junk! Now, there's only one way they must have gotten it, when I would toss the boxes out for recycling, and they would b*tch about how I did it wrong and say they had to fix it for me. I was doing it right, they were just stealing my boxes. :tdown:

I don;t want bugs me more, the fact that they outight stole them, took more of space, or couldn't even remove my name. I mean what if I moved and took their junk with me? They probably would have said I stole it. I just feel so mad!

that is awful!!!! i would definitely talk to your landlord about this...it is up to him to enforce these rules.
if i'm reading your post correctly, you put boxes out for recycling and they took them? if you put them out in the trash, i don't see how it matters that they have them...but it does suck that they are using your space again!!!!

There's been other issues I've talked to the landlord about and he never comes.

that is awful!!!! i would definitely talk to your landlord about this...it is up to him to enforce these rules.
if i'm reading your post correctly, you put boxes out for recycling and they took them? if you put them out in the trash, i don't see how it matters that they have them...but it does suck that they are using your space again!!!!

It just bothers me, they made a huge to do over how I did it wrong and never asked for them ( made me haul them out). It's more the priniciple. There's also the fact that they kept my name on it. First, how I supposed to know it was theirs? Second it feels rather shady. Like they wanted me to think they weren't stealing more of my space. It's everything that happened and also combined with other probs I've been having not involving them. I just felt so mad. I also don't say any thing because I don't plan to be living there for more than another year, I grad in May and the first good paying job I get, I'm moving.

This is terrible. I cannot believe that your landlord is being unhelpful with this. One of my petpeeves are nasty and rude neighbors who have no regard for other people's properties or privacy. I'm so mad for you! It's good that you're moving out soon (well not soon enough but at least soon!) but nobody has the right to behave like this towards you. You are entitled to that storage space and I cannot believe they are throwing such a huge fit about this. Some people need lessons about respecting others big time!!

This is terrible. I cannot believe that your landlord is being unhelpful with this. One of my petpeeves are nasty and rude neighbors who have no regard for other people's properties or privacy. I'm so mad for you! It's good that you're moving out soon (well not soon enough but at least soon!) but nobody has the right to behave like this towards you. You are entitled to that storage space and I cannot believe they are throwing such a huge fit about this. Some people need lessons about respecting others big time!!

I also feel weird confront them, they're both in 50s with grown kids and I feel dosrespectful. They're also it seems gossippers. So, I don't want to say something and the whole block will think I'm terrorizing older people.

This is the landlord's responsibility to talk to them, not yours. Let him know that if he does not intervene, then he is not living up to his end of the rental contract and you have a right to break the contract and move. Get a copy of your state law to back you up. I have done that before and it worked. Don't let neighbors get the best of you. I have gone the route of confrontation, and it just makes things worse. Put it all on the landlord. It is their job.

Well, unfortunately your choices are limited.

You can do like natalie said, check to see whether renters have any rights in your state, and if so, what those are, and if the law is on your side. If it is, there will probably be something about how long landlords have to respond to this or that. Then you could write a paper letter to the landlord, with a copy sent to whatever local gov't department is in charge of renters, and technically, the landlord would then be obliged to come and tell the people to share the storage space.

However, if they don't want to, and it sounds like they have pretty much indicated that they do not, it is not going to be practical for the landlord to police them constantly, he will go home, and you will be left there with them, and these are not people that you know very well, and from what you have told us, the little you do know does not make them sound like very nice people. So you are then left alone with not-nice people who are now angry at you.

And you make a very good point that if you make a fuss about it, that could result in the landlord asking you to leave for an unrelated reason.

If it is stuff to which you do not need frequent access, you could consider renting storage space in another location, or you could decide to just make do with whatever storage space the other renters will let you have.

Or, and frankly, this would be my preference, you could go ahead and start looking into other living situation options, simply because sharing a residence with those people does not sound like it promises to be a very good experience, and where you are living now does not have adequate storage space. I understand that it is supposed to, but you cannot put much stuff in "supposed to," and for the time and effort you would spend to obtain a guaranteed end result that your already unpleasant neighbors are now angry, but NO guarantee that you would have the needed storage space, you could just as easily spend that time and effort finding a new place to live that will be a better match for you.

I'd write a letter to the landlord outlining the problem(s), give him/her a time limit to resolve it, and state that I will withhold the rent until the problem is resolved. Send it certified. Then follow through, don't pay the rent until you get the amenities (storage space) you are paying rent for.

I'd write a letter to the landlord outlining the problem(s), give him/her a time limit to resolve it, and state that I will withhold the rent until the problem is resolved. Send it certified. Then follow through, don't pay the rent until you get the amenities (storage space) you are paying rent for.
I would definitely check local laws and regulations before even threatening to withold rent.

While laws in some places do give renters that option, usually after having gone through some previous steps with no result, in other localities, a renter in that situation would have the option of moving, subject, of course, to the terms of their lease.

Thanks for the info all. Right now, I'm trying to save up as much cash as possible. I have some savings. I'm entertaining the idea of maybe saving up for a condo. Then again, maybe a house would be better, I'm still thinking and saving.

well honestly what i would do is just go and take all their stuff and put it on their side, tell them thats where it belongs and if they dont like it too bad that the agreement. and if they put it back just keep doing it. you can always just walk away and go back to your part of the house and close the door. i would suggest looking into foreclosures if you want to score a great deal and move out sooner

well honestly what i would do is just go and take all their stuff and put it on their side, tell them thats where it belongs and if they dont like it too bad that the agreement. and if they put it back just keep doing it. you can always just walk away and go back to your part of the house and close the door. i would suggest looking into foreclosures if you want to score a great deal and move out sooner

How would you go about doing that? Do you speaking to a normal realtor or would it have to be a special one?

you can go to a normal realtor just find one and ask to view any REO properties/foreclosures out there they should be in the mls. they might need a little work but you can pick some of them up cheap its worth putting $5000-$10000 worth of work into them. my mom will only buy foreclosures b/c you get the best deal period. she bought the house we live in now for $130,000 back in 1997 and it was worth probably around $190,000-$210,000 at the time. and to date they added $25,000 pool w/landscape a $35,000 kitchen and about $10,000 in other updates. so they paid with everythin about $200,000 for a house that is currently worth $410,000 and at the peak of the market was worht $495,000