Neighbor making comments of what hes going to BUY once my dog bites him.

LouisLady

May 22, 2006
Ok so most of you guys may remember that I mentioned I'm doggy sitting my brother and his ex's dog for a while. I am going to refer to this dog as "MY DOG" because I've gotten so attached to this little guy. As I am sharing this rant with yall, my dog is sleeping like a baby next to me as he quietly snores. hehe ;)

Heres the story...

I have a j*cka*ss neighbor who likes to provoke my dog all the time whenever we walk him.

The funny thing is, my dog ONLY barks at him and his wife.

He's a really sweet dog and I feel defensive when he talks about my dog.

Recently, he told us that we better put a muzzle on him because it won't be good if he bites someone and started telling us about how his dog bit someone back then and it got put to sleep and he got sued. For some reason i doubt that story isn't true...but whatever.

The time when I was coming home with my dog, we had to walk past him and he started once again saying to get a muzzle for the dog and blah blah blah. I got pist off but kept my reserve and said in the nicest tone possible.." WELL, IF YOU WOULD STOP PROVOKING HIM MAYBE HE WON'T ACT LIKE THAT TO U..." :cursing:

Any kind of animal or even human, if you keep trying to poke at something, sooner or later its going to get mad. It's not going to just sit there and take it and smile.:rolleyes:

He event made a comment one time saying " Ur dog don't like me because I'm not full *Oriental*" :rolleyes: Now this wasn't even necessary!

We've always kept this dog on a very short lease just in case because you never know.

Little events like this happen every now and then. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to walk the dog as often or when I do walk him, I cross my fingers that this J*ack*ss neighbor won't be out to talk to us.

So, just today when I was walking him and surprise surprise ..j*ack*ss neighbor was outside and we had to walk past him. My dog was on a very short leash & was literally 3 feet away from him. J*ck*ss neighbor once again tried to provoke the dog but my dog was not interested today and just proceeded to keep walking. (Good boy!)

Then...about 30 minutes later my DH comes home.

Guess what he said to my DH?

"You better take care of that car of mine because thats going to be mine once your dog bites me"..while he points at my DH's car.
"Then I can also buy the car that i've been wanting too for sooo long..etc etc.."

I am pissed.

DH and I suggested that we're going to start training the dog to pee & do his business inside the patio area. We're planning to go buy plants, grass and all that stuff to create a new place for him to do his thing instead of us having to walk him outside all the time in risk of getting into any altercations....

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for reading. :heart:

In that case, ignore him, don't let him bait you and continue to make sure your wee doggie is on a leash when walked. And for your dog's sake I would correct him if he barks and snarls at him ... because that isn't a good habit for him to get in to, whether he is provoked or not. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does your neighbour do to provoke your dog?

One thing I would do is call the police and report what that this loser is harrassing you. That way, if the situation became escalated, there would be a record on file of what he's been doing.

My husband would tell the guy the dog isn't one he should be worried about!

In that case, ignore him, don't let him bait you and continue to make sure your wee doggie is on a leash when walked. And for your dog's sake I would correct him if he barks and snarls at him ... because that isn't a good habit for him to get in to, whether he is provoked or not. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does your neighbour do to provoke your dog?

Thank you for your feedback!

He snarls at my dog, growls at him, makes fun of his name and tries to get close to him.

When this is going on, I'm just trying to pull my dog away or pick him up and go back home.

One thing I would do is call the police and report what that this loser is harrassing you. That way, if the situation became escalated, there would be a record on file of what he's been doing.

My DH suggested we'd continue to act normal. This neighbor guy is truly unstable as Dallas has pointed out. We don't want to start trouble with this guy or else we would feel endangered while at home as if he would do something crazy to us.

Honestly, I would be extremely worried about this neighbor. You mentioned it is a complex, can you file a complaint with the landlord or HOA? In addition, I would file a complaint with the police. What if, god forbid, something happened to you or your dog while you were walking him? Perhaps file a complaint and then file a restraining order?
Please be safe, but don't let this idiot dictate what you do around YOUR home!!

- I would keep a notebook and write down dates, times, what he said (to the best of your memory), and I would call the police about it, perhaps once you have a nice little dossier on the nut.

With all the info, maybe down the line you may have to get a restraining order on him. The previous contact with police and the log book will help.

(I'm not in law enforcement, so I don't know if this would help, but it makes sense to me)

You could call the police and describe what is going on and ask what you should do - they may say the same thing re keeping track of the incidients...

Just some thoughts.

it seems like he WANTS to be bitten so he can cause all types of problems. keeping him on a short leash is best and walking him quickly past the guy while ignoring him is all i can think of so that you aren't forced to confine yourselves.

Your story makes my skin crawl! What is wrong with this guy?? He shouldn't be growling, getting close or doing anything else to your dog. That's harrassing the dog. Do your best to train your dog not to react to him and avoid him however you have to. Even if it's a small complex, try to get on the other side of the road, then cross straight to your place.

This nutjob sounds very unstable. I wouldn't ever leave your dog out alone in your yard area either. He scares me. Please do keep a log and report to the HOA so it's on record about his strange behavior. Ugh!

The guy is obviously an a**hole! If it was me, I would make sure he was way more afraid of me than my dog - but I'm older and have huge balls LOL! Anyway - compeltely ignore him, seems like your dog already is. No matter what he says act like he doesn't exist - this usually will end any comments b/c it isn't any fun for him to not get a rise out of you. If it goes on, get a restraining order...he's a total nut!

Definitely keep a log of all the things that your neighbor says, does, dates, times, everything!

Should anything happen, you have proof that he is literally ASKING to get bitten.

This would be very important to an insurance company who could potentially deny liability. I work for an insurance company and trust me, if the person provoked the dog into biting him just to get an insurance settlement, we could deny the claim if we have all of that information in writing from the owner of the animal.

Omg you guys, thanks for all of the helpful responses so far!

I am just wondering if i were to report this to the police, if they would go talk to him afterwards?...bc then I would be paranoid that he would come over and do something to us afterwards..or things would just get really really awkward since we see him all the freakin time when we step outside.

Btw, maybe I should also add that he LITERALLY is our neighbor. His bedroom is next to our bedroom and we can hear him..he can hear us.

Since we've moved here to our new place, it has ruined our *COUGH COUGH* lives.

Errr.

Any other responses will be apprecaited!

I still am not sure what to do right now but to ignore the crazy nut and continue to cross my fingers that he isnt around when we walk the dog and etc.

Well, #1 call the police and report the things he says and does, and WHY (because you think he is provoking the dog so that he can sue you later as he is unemployeed and has no income).

#2) "Since we've moved here to our new place, it has ruined our *COUGH COUGH* lives." Honestly, find a new place to live. A temporary apartment is better than this!