Needed: Diamond Opinion! 1.71 ct but...

BAGLADY-SHOEFLY

In Love & Luxe
O.G.
Mar 1, 2009
I am really likin but not sure if I love this ring. My husband has been talkin about upgrading my current ring (10 years married this oct). My current is 1.5 cttw comprised of small g-h si1 diamonds set in white gold. Now I do love my ring but I really love the idea an ering AND a wedding ring. Now for the dilemma.
This ring is set in rose gold (pink is my fav color) it is flanked with .26 natural pink diamonds (another +) it has a 1.71 ct brilliant round cut (woohoo) heres the catch... It is an L color si2..?! Now I love the idea of the whole ring accept the color. It is quite well balanced in the ping setting but is it worth it to buy an L color? I know the cut is the most important thing and this 1 is fantastic but L? what do you think?

Would I be better to get a better color smaller ct ring? Bare in mind I actually like the way the colors play off each other in this ring ( though ive never seen it in person) and we are a military family so price is definitely important.

Attachments

• 171d.JPG
    171d.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 104
  • 171a.JPG
    171a.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 120
  • r910f.JPG
    r910f.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 147
  • r910g.JPG
    r910g.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 136
Beautiful ring! And congratulations on 10 years marriage.

If you like the colour then go for it. I agree that the warmth of the centre stone suits the setting well. It's really just personal preference. However, I'd say you need to look at a certified SI2 L in real life at the very least before making such a pricey decision. Or see if the vendor has a good return policy. I say this because on my first big diamond shopping expedition I found - somewhat unfortunately - that I did indeed like the icy whites (D to F), despite originally thinking I could go as low as an I. I'd spent hours upon hours looking at photos of diamonds on pricescope.com but it's not the same. In real life G coloured stones looked the way I thought a J would! L really is very warm.

Just something to keep in mind. If you love the setting there's no reason you can't have it reproduced with a smaller, whiter centre stone if that's what you decide on. With a halo like that the ring is still going to have a lot of presence even if you go down in size a little bit. Also, I find that anything lower than a VS2 starts looking a bit "cloudy" to me. (Huge perfectionist!)

When it comes down to it though, you need to love the ring. What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you ask yourself what you're looking forward to most about a new ring? Big, wowsa rock? Delicate beauty? Mega bling? White sparkle? I think your answer will give a good indication of what's best for you.

Well, I kinda love the way it looks light canary from 1 angle white ice from another and it pics up the pink gold from another, very chameleon, and I love the uniqueness of the overall look. I was originally looking @ canary diamonds and then wondered if I would want a bold yellow as my forever ring. I got a short video of this ring from the retailer and it is warm it scintillates and sparkles and that was under regular lighting, cant imagine it in the sun. It reminds me of a flower, so I would be getting flowers everyday! I dont want and quite frankly cant afford a huge diamond. The ring I have now is very white and crazy shiny in light but kind of flat indoors. I think this ring or perhaps a reproduction of it in a smaller ct better color like you suggested may just be it for me. But I kinda like the way it is now... Hmm... (imperfect but absolutely loveable just like me :amuse:)

I agree with most....the settings helps to make the diamond 'white' even though it's not. But it's still nice to have such an unusual ring as an alternative. But personally for myself, I'd like a whiter diamond even if I have to settle for a much smaller size. I'd like to pass the most 'perfect' diamond I can afford down to generations after me....my children, grandchildren, etc....

If you are going to keep this in rose gold then the L color is perfectly fine! It is a very pretty ring and I'd say go for it.

My only caution is that you really should see this in person before you purchase. It's beautiful in photos but hard to tell about the cut and clarity. Personally I believe that it is truly the cut that makes the diamond overall the clarity and color are a bonus.

Is the diamond graded by GIA?

I'd make sure to see another L in person before you make up your mind. See if you can find one at a local jewelry store to compare. I think excellent cut Ls can look lovely and face up fairly white, but there will be some color tint. Some people prefer warmer colors (maybe Erica will pop up in this thread--I know she's a big fan), especially in antique-looking settings like yours (its gorgeous!).

As far as the SI2--this is not a big deal if it's eyeclean. Make sure to ask the seller.

It is eyeclean, and it has been gia graded. I looked up the table and depth and it is nearly perfect (the table is only slightly large). The cut is a brilliant cut round. The video I have of this exact ring is absolutely gorgeous and it has a return policy, since unfortunately I would not be able to see it IRL 1st. Hmmm... So much to think about and great advice here. I think I would still leave it to a granddaughter or daughter if I ever have 1 (I only have a 3 yr old son so far) and ultimately it would be up to them to trade the diamond up or what ever they decide (after all I'd be dead if they got it in my will so no offense taken lol). Also it has the faintest blue florescence, which from what I read almost completely balances out the yellow tint of an L especially in natural light. Now normally I would stray away from florescence, but in this case it actually enhances the diamond. Thanks so much for the advice ladies, and the compliments! Still a thinker. I do know I am in love with the halo setting and it will ultimately come down to this or a more standard halo such as 1 from blue nile or something. Another slight apprehension for me is even though I absolutely freakin adore the rose gold, DH ring will remain white gold. Should the non matching rings be a factor?, Or should the fact that he wants to get me something I adore be the ONLY factor? I have decided to upgrade his ring but I dont believe in his military career or otherwise he would ever want a rose gold wedding ring :P so much to think about... But I definitely have time!

I love florescence, and my stone is and H! Since there seems to be a good return policy, you could order it and check out, paying attention to the large table. Did he crown and pavilion angels check out as well?

You might also want to post this on pricescope.com, an the jewelry experts there might be able to give you more info.

I have found that with lower colors, people either love them immensely or find it's not for them at all. I will never own a diamond above K color, personally, because I think K/L/M (my personal sweet spot) stones are the most visually beautiful. You may feel differently. Remember, color is simply a reflection of rarity and demand (in part due to marketing, I believe) but higher colors are in no way better or superior than lower colors - they are all beautiful in their own right and will appeal to different people.

I have found that the light play from lower colors is really mesmerizing and very different from colorless stones. There's something so rich and warm and exotic looking about them. I think it's a beautiful ring but you have to love it for what it is. An L is an L and will look like an L - it will never look like a colorless. You have to embrace it for what it is and flaunt it!

I have found that with lower colors, people either love them immensely or find it's not for them at all. I will never own a diamond above K color, personally, because I think K/L/M (my personal sweet spot) stones are the most visually beautiful. You may feel differently. Remember, color is simply a reflection of rarity and demand (in part due to marketing, I believe) but higher colors are in no way better or superior than lower colors - they are all beautiful in their own right and will appeal to different people.

I have found that the light play from lower colors is really mesmerizing and very different from colorless stones. There's something so rich and warm and exotic looking about them. I think it's a beautiful ring but you have to love it for what it is. An L is an L and will look like an L - it will never look like a colorless. You have to embrace it for what it is and flaunt it!

Wow! That is great info and a fantastic review of a diamond I am less familiar with thank you so much. I am curious is that your diamond in your avatar and what color is it? I really have a crush on this ring I have looked at prob over 100+ others, but this is the 1 I keep coming back too. I think the warm stone is only made even more beautiful by the pink gold, but she is a beauty unto herself.:biggrin:

Oh and what about the wedding rings? We are only 31 and 32 (even though our ten year anniversary is in oct) but I dont think I could get DH to buy into the whole pink trend for men. Should I let it bother me that our rings wouldn't match? Any suggestions?

i think the ring looks gorgeous as is.... the warmer color of the diamond really suits the rose gold and surrounding pink diamonds.

i don't think you and DH need to have matching bands at all!