Need your opinions

meeeks

life is great
Nov 11, 2006
My mother gave me a diamond gold necklace. I'm not really a fan of gold but I find the necklace to be absolutely beautiful. Do I keep it the way it is or do I reset it into something I like? Any ideas?

I took the pic with my blackberry so it doesn't really capture the true beauty of it.

Thanks In advance!

Attachments

• image-1425393043.png
    image-1425393043.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 292
Here are two sets she gave me as well. Again it's set in gold so I'm not sure if I'll ever wear it. I'm more of a white gold person. One is heart shaped amethyst with 3 round diamonds on each side and baguettes. The other is oval ruby with diamonds around it.

Attachments

• image-821336322.png
    image-821336322.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 281
  • image-1933182098.png
    image-1933182098.png
    397.7 KB · Views: 284
Those are just amazing pieces!!! I fully understand your feeling on gold, I'm the same way. Could you perhaps have them dipped in platinum, or white gold? I have done this to a few pieces but not as large as these. Just a thought...hope you can do something though! It would be shame not to wear them all!

Given that the pieces have been passed down to you through family, I would hesitate to dip them or reset them because they probably have value for the history they carry. Additionally, many people go through phases of liking white metals and then rediscovering YG, and it would be a shame to look back on the beauty of these pieces and regret what you had done. If they were mine, I would keep them in a lock box for a while and really consider what to do. Honestly, I think part of the beauty of the first piece is the YG, and I've always felt that red stones go better in YG, so I would really hesitate to change them.

Personally, I would never change something my mother had given me. These pieces are absolutely stunning, and your mother gave them to you with love. She may be hurt if you changed the jewelry in any way.

They are stunning! Love the richness of YG.

You might grow into liking yellow gold jewelry eventually. I'd leave the diamond necklace as it is.
Maybe choose one of the other sets & have it dipped.

Those pieces are all stunning, but the necklace is a *real* knockout!!! I would definitely not do anything with the necklace - it seems like a real heirloom item, and tastes/trends always changes as to which color metal is preferred (I for one wouldn't be caught dead in anything yellow gold 10 years ago, and now I love it). Also, I feel like the first necklace is more of a "dress-up" piece, whereas preferences for yellow/white gold are more important in every day pieces. I agree with everyone else that you might look into getting the amethyst/ruby pieces dipped (after all, white gold is all dipped to make it that color), but definitely keep that diamond necklace as-is.

Given that the pieces have been passed down to you through family, I would hesitate to dip them or reset them because they probably have value for the history they carry. Additionally, many people go through phases of liking white metals and then rediscovering YG, and it would be a shame to look back on the beauty of these pieces and regret what you had done. If they were mine, I would keep them in a lock box for a while and really consider what to do. Honestly, I think part of the beauty of the first piece is the YG, and I've always felt that red stones go better in YG, so I would really hesitate to change them.

Couldn't agree with you more!

My mother gave me a wonderful set of earrings, necklace and ring, all yellow gold with amethyst. Though I'm very much into white gold I've worn it several times on special occasions and I love it since it was passed down from my grandmother.

Those are just amazing pieces!!! I fully understand your feeling on gold, I'm the same way. Could you perhaps have them dipped in platinum, or white gold? I have done this to a few pieces but not as large as these. Just a thought...hope you can do something though! It would be shame not to wear them all!

That was going to be my suggestion too. Can they be dipped? I love the way they all look, they're very pretty and that first necklace is very unique!

Thank you for all your opnions. I think I will keep it the way it is at least for the necklace. I'm not sure about the Ruby and Amethyst sets yet. I love them, I just wish I could wear it more often. I hope to pass them down to my daughter (if i have one) one day.

I recently received a diamond bracelet given to my great grand mother in 1898, it is in gold and I had the same thought, it has 9 diamonds each about 1ct, I hesitated to reset them into something else, then I thought about the history and how it has passed from mother to daughter through all this time and I kept it and will pass it on to my daughter in due time, keep it, it is a lovely necklace and you will wear it, I am sure.

I was looking at your lovely pieces again. The only thing I'd change would be the amethyst/ruby necklaces. Instead of a bale, I'd have a chain (rolo) attatched to either side of the necklace...kind of a DBTY look. You'd have an updated look but not change the fundamentals.

The necklace is gorgeous and I would leave it as is. As you get older, your tastes may change. I used to only wear platinum/white gold/silver, but now I mix in yellow gold and even rose gold.
The items your mom gave you may not be your style, but they truly are beautiful and they will be wonderful dress-up pieces:smile: Enjoy them!

I agree with this!