Need your help with a buyer claiming item is fake!

Nov 26, 2007
Okay, I know you guys have heard this story before, but this is my first experience with this, so please help!

I sold a bag on ebay. Buyer bought and paid immediately. She had perfect feedback, although it looks like she has never purchased anything really expensive. I shipped once the payment cleared via paypal. Once the item was delivered on 3/15, I left positive feedback and she left me postive feedback on 3/18.

Fast forward to this morning. She sends me the following email via ebay...

"I hate to make accusations...but I was fishy of this bag as soon as I got it. I took it to a Coach retail store today and had it confirmed that it is NOT an authentic Coach bag. What would you like to do in this situation? Your listing said all sales are final...however, you did not represent the item accurately. Please get back to me."

I sent her the following response... "I'm sorry that you are unhappy with the bag. First, I do not sell fakes. I have perfect feedback and I am not willing to risk it over a fake bag. I bought this bag at the Coach outlet store in VA and I am more than willing to send you a copy of the receipt with my information redacted. Two, if you were fishy about the bag from the beginning why did you leave positive feedback? Why didn't you wait until you confirmed your suspicions about the bag?. You were under no obligation to leave me feedback until you felt comfortable to do so. Third, you state that an employee at the Coach store told you it was not authentic. It is my experience that most stores will not comment on authenticity. becuase not all employees are knowledge about all items and they do make mistakes. Even if you file a dispute with paypal/ebay, it is my understanding that they will need written proof that the bag is not authentic. Therefore, please provide me a letter on Coach letterhead, signed by the store manager, indicating the bag is not authentic and why. Until I receive this proof, as indicated my auction, the sale is final."

Is there anything more I can do. Since she all ready left me positive feedback, can she file a dispute with paypal? I guess anything is possible when it comes to ebay. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

As far as I know yes she can still open up a dispute but like you said she does need written confirmation that the bag is fake. If she opens up a dispute I think the only thing you can do is sit tight and hope that she wont get written confirmation its fake (I dont know if Coach managers are seen as proof by paypal or not but my worry is that the manager might say its fake when its not because they dont know what hes talking about). I think your email was well written, polite but firm and if she is just trying it on it should hopefully be enough to put her off. Good luck, I hope it all turns out ok for you!!

If the bag is from an outlet store, I am guessing the SA is not familiar with the styles that are sold in outlets. I find that people mostly comment on my outlet-bought Coach to ask where I got it from because they do not recognize it. If she wants it authenticated, it's best to advise her to go to an outlet store. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks everyone. I did buy the bag at the outlet store, but it was a bag that was originally at the full price store, a couple of seasons ago. So, given the experience of the SA, he/she may not be familiar with it. Or the buyer could just be feeding me a line that she had it authenticated at the store. I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out.

I do have another question, how long does the buyer have to file a dispute?

To me it is hard to tell the true motives, but I am guessing buyers remorse. You are right-If she had doubts why did she leave positive feedback? I think your email was very appropriate. People are so strange. I don't think you have anything to worry about since it was authentic. Sometimes paypal doesn't make then prove it is fake or not, but since she already left feedback I think it will be more difficult for her to fight this case. Good luck.

When Coach reissued the Cashin line not too long ago not one single Coach employee at the 3 outlets and 1 retail store near me even knew who Bonnie Cashin was. When the line hit the stores was the first any of them had ever heard of her.

I would check your buyers recent purchasing history to see if she maybe found something else and is trying to return yours.

When I purchased a fake Prada and opened a SNAD PP did not require anything in writing. I merely returned the bag and was refunded upon proof of receipt.