Need your advise

mijou

Oct 14, 2007
I bought a BE WTM a few months ago and decided to get a LM midi after reading so many raving reviews on this site. I received it last Friday and it didn't look right when I tried it on. I returned it on Monday and the store received it today (I bought from a US site). The owner said the bag doesn't look new. It has some wear in the corner so she cannot sell it full price.

I tried it on less than 2 minutes and put it back in the box over the weekend. The leather was really soft when I received it. Besides my words, I don't know how to prove to her that I did not wear it outside the house. Any advise?

I seem to remember someone here saying that they had a bag delivered from BE with a worn corner or scuffs or something like that. Do you remember seeing any damage on your bag?

I didn't pay attention to the corners. I never returned any bags through the mail before. I guess I will lose some hundreds of dollars, she may not refund me the full price that I paid. I emailed her my case and will see what she says tomorrow.

This is another topic: how long does it usually take to order a messenger strap through BE?

It took quite a while when I ordered one but that was ages ago. I think that it depends on whether they have any of that colour made up already and how busy the workshop is. I think that you would be best emailing one of the BE staff to ask them.

I'm sorry that the LM Midi didn't work out for you. Regarding the wear on a corner, that is one thing that drives me crazy about some BE bags since it can happen so fast. I've seen many BE bags listed on Bonanzle and eBay in which the owner states that they only used the bag a few times and it is showing some wear on the corners. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to your bag just from being shipped to you or shipped back. One of the reasons why my Black Crash TME Midi is my favorite bag is because it shows no wear after almost 6 months of daily use. Black Crash is much more durable than the matte and glossy leathers.

Good luck working this out with the store.

The store should take your word for it, in my opinion. If you honestly did not wear the bag at all, it must've arrived that way, right?
Plus -- the store will know if they had previously sold the bag and it had been returned -?
I think you should fight it with the store. In the end you can always file a chargeback with your cc.

Nothing angers me more than when stores "hide" behind things in order to not honor their policies. (Just a general statement, I'm not saying the store is or isn't..)

I'm sorry that the LM Midi didn't work out for you. Regarding the wear on a corner, that is one thing that drives me crazy about some BE bags since it can happen so fast. I've seen many BE bags listed on Bonanzle and eBay in which the owner states that they only used the bag a few times and it is showing some wear on the corners. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to your bag just from being shipped to you or shipped back. One of the reasons why my Black Crash TME Midi is my favorite bag is because it shows no wear after almost 6 months of daily use. Black Crash is much more durable than the matte and glossy leathers.

Good luck working this out with the store.

Several of my bags have suffered from fast wear on corners and seams so I can vouch for the fact that they can be vulnerable.

The leather is glossy and it was really soft when I got it. The tag on the handle is still there so it's not easy to wear it outside. I think I would have liked LM if it were matte leather.

I bought a WTM in Petrol and when I got it it didn't look new (I could tell that a few customers returned it but it was from a different site). I kept it because I like the style.

I would be upset if she charged me because I feel cheated. I guess I would have to ask her to send me pictures of "worn" corners.

mijou, I am so sorry about this! Perhaps you could email the store a link to this thread, so that they can see that in fact many BE bag corners do start to wear quickly? I am with msterling on this one -- this is perhaps my biggest complaint about BE bags in terms of wear (in fact, it's my only complaint). I have found that loading up the corners with conditioner once they start to lighten up a bit helps lessen the look of this wear, in case that helps anyone. Good luck!

I wonder if the corners were damaged because of shipping as msterling stated above. The box that was shipped to me was big so it might have shifted back and forth during shipping. Also, I returned it with the same box so another shifting.

If I cannot get a full refund I guess I can order a WTM since I already have one and I know what to expect.

In case this helps you to choose your next leather, I have noticed wear problems without heavy use on:

Apple Green Glossy (from a previous season, not SS09)
Plum Crash
Mottled Gold (earlier version than SS09 but sudden severe damage)
Turquoise Sheen (scuffing rather than wear).

The Apple Green and Mottle Gold bags were ex-samples, so I don't know their previous history, but neither had bald patches on delivery.

My more resistance leathers have included:

Milk Chocolate Pebbled Glossy ('Cervo')
Mustard Shimmer
Pewter Crash
Black Crash
Chocolate Matte
Wine Glossy

I am in two minds about the durability of my Dark Grey Matte, Cobalt Sheen and perhaps Petrol Glossy.

I think the wear tends to occur on pointy corners (my Plum Crash Hug Me was fine after endless use but my Love Me suffered soon) and where the leather rubs against the rigid bases (as in my Dark Grey Matte TMA).

Last edited: