Need your advice ~ eBay seller wants me to pay through paypal

Slc9

O.G.
Dec 29, 2012
Hi All! I made an offer on a bag a few days ago and seller declined. The listing is stated as "ended by seller because item no longer available". So today I get an email that buyer hasn't paid and she would accept my offer if I was still interested in the bag. Of course I said yes thinking she would relist the item or not sure how we would go about it but she asked me if I would pay through papal. I told her I rather go through eBay because I wouldn't have buyers protection. She emailed me back asking for my address stating she will have all the information on the invoice and I will have the same buyers protection as eBay. I just emailed her back again asking her if she could relist the item or send me an invoice through eBay. Not sure how we would do this now that the item is ended.
Haven't heard from her. Too bad, I really wanted the bag.

She's sold some other designer bags and all looks legit but for some reason she wants to save eBay fees on this one. :shrugs:

Did I do the right thing?

YES! If they are willing to cheat Ebay out of their fees, they are dishonest - which means they would be willing to cheat you too!

Only buy if the seller relists through Ebay so you have the Ebay buyer protection. Also make sure to fund your Pay Pal payment with a credit card.

Unfortunately this seller tried to pull a fast one and that would discourage me from dealing with them again.

I'm hoping you find another of these bags soon from a more reputable seller.

YES! If they are willing to cheat Ebay out of their fees, they are dishonest - which means they would be willing to cheat you too!

Only buy if the seller relists through Ebay so you have the Ebay buyer protection. Also make sure to fund your Pay Pal payment with a credit card.

Unfortunately this seller tried to pull a fast one and that would discourage me from dealing with them again.

I'm hoping you find another of these bags soon from a more reputable seller.

Although it's not the most "correct" thing to do, i don't think it translates to seller trying to or will cheat you. Actually a lot of times buyers will message seller whether they'd be willing to offer discounts by going directly with Paypal. It happens both ways and doesn't mean either is trying to rip the other one off. It's a mutual benefit.

If the thought is really bothering you, then just decline the transaction and that's the end of it.

Although it's not the most "correct" thing to do, i don't think it translates to seller trying to or will cheat you. Actually a lot of times buyers will message seller whether they'd be willing to offer discounts by going directly with Paypal. It happens both ways and doesn't mean either is trying to rip the other one off. It's a mutual benefit.

If the thought is really bothering you, then just decline the transaction and that's the end of it.
My guess is that the seller ended the listing early in another attempt to circumvent ebay fees and chances are, the first buyer balked at doing it that way.

The seller is being unethical and having used ebay to give her item the exposure it got, she should be willing to pay ebay for their service.

Those of us who read the TPF ebay forum on a regular basis often read stories about buyers who got scr3w3d after having taken a transaction "off" ebay. Although they still have paypal protection (assuming they pay for goods), they're giving up the second layer of buyer protection they would have gotten from ebay.

A mutual benefit that comes at the expense of others. So many of the unpopular changes that Ebay has imposed can be traced to the unscrupulous practices of those who enjoy cheating the system. Whatever happened to honesty is the best policy?

Many sellers have asked me this way too. I agree and she accident sent me money instead of requesting money. But I kind of don't trust doing it this way so I just refund her the money.

Thanks everyone for your replies and input. I have never bought a designer bag on eBay but I have bought one on Bonanza a couple years back for a discontinued bag and will admit we negotiated a price and I paid via paypal to help her with the fees. I was SO extremely lucky to have an honest seller and she was an honest buyer. We actually even had some nice email conversations etc... an overall wonderful experience. Other than that, I've bought most my bags new. I'm a seller on eBay and just never thought about doing that again.
It is so tempting though. It's a great gently used bag and would save over $500. Wish she would relist it. I'll keep my eye out for another or maybe sell a couple slg's to help fund for a brand new one ;)

Although I don't recommend it, you can safely buy using just paypal. I do it buying and selling on Facebook. You should be invoiced for goods with a clear description of the item you are buying. That way Pay Pal will protect you from not receiving the item and the item not being as described. Never ever give money as a gift through pay pal or you have no recourse. If you do decide to go that route, use a credit card as your default payment. That would also protect you as most cc companies offer protection up to a certain amount.

Although I don't recommend it, you can safely buy using just paypal. I do it buying and selling on Facebook. You should be invoiced for goods with a clear description of the item you are buying. That way Pay Pal will protect you from not receiving the item and the item not being as described. Never ever give money as a gift through pay pal or you have no recourse. If you do decide to go that route, use a credit card as your default payment. That would also protect you as most cc companies offer protection up to a certain amount.
Thank you. I am not going to chance it through eBay and violate their rules though good information to know if I ever need to pay through paypal. Also, didn't know people sell items on facebook.

Thank you. I am not going to chance it through eBay and violate their rules though good information to know if I ever need to pay through paypal. Also, didn't know people sell items on facebook.

I am a seller (at the mo) and just been approached to do this, even though it may say save me £75, I wont agree with to it and have politely declined.

It seems to be getting more and more common to be asked both as a buyer and seller.

Personally I would steer well clear. There are enough risks associated with buying in ebay anyhow, without that added layer of protection.

It is! Why? Did you put an offer on it too? A black city. I really was looking for a black bag. Love these bags. I think the seller may be here on TPF. I'm sure she is an honest person.
Others may disagree but IMO, a seller who uses ebay for exposure than solicits buyers to take the sale/purchase off ebay as a means to cheat ebay is NOT an "honest person."

Again, JMHO.

There are enough risks associated with buying in ebay anyhow, without that added layer of protection.
It's not only losing the extra layer of protection, but it's putting your ebay account at risk.

Remember, ebay has access to all messaging done through ebay and if they see what they perceive as taking activity outside of ebay, they can and will NARU members. Is it really worth the risk? I think not!

Others may disagree but IMO, a seller who uses ebay for exposure than solicits buyers to take the sale/purchase off ebay as a means to cheat ebay is NOT an "honest person."

Again, JMHO.

It's not only losing the extra layer of protection, but it's putting your ebay account at risk.

Remember, ebay has access to all messaging done through ebay and if they see what they perceive as taking activity outside of ebay, they can and will NARU members. Is it really worth the risk? I think not!
I agree! No worries, I'm glad I turned down the offer. What does NARU mean? Just curious.