Need to say THANK YOU!!

sesamite

O.G.
Feb 20, 2010
But I'm not sure exactly who to thank.

I received awesome ideas from lurking on TPF and I just have to put a general THANKS out there for the great suggestions.

A few months ago, my sister was giving my daughter a pedicure on my fairly new leather ottoman. Somehow she placed a cotton ball soaked w/nail polish remover on the ottoman and it left a huge mark. We tried leather conditioner which was obviously no use. My sissy was going to pay to have it re-upholstered but I wouldn't let her. It was an accident, everybody felt bad, and I didn't feel good about her having to pay. She was going to get a quote but hadn't done it yet. Anyway....someone here mentioned that they used Vaseline on patent leather and even though my ottoman isn't patent, I gave it a try. It looks fabulous!!!! I have no idea who to thank, but it concealed it so well my hubby (who wasn't exactly as forgiving as me) couldn't even find the spot! It does need to be reapplied after a while, but it's not greasy....it blends beautifully.

Second....thank you to the person who painted their metallic zoe!!! I had to mix 2 paints to get a perfect color match, but my platinum carly looks brand new. I'd even say it looks better b/c the paint has a teeny bit of sparkle to it that is subtle but gorgeous. The bag is as soft as ever and you can not even see where the rub marks were. Amazing.

It's been bothering me for a long time that I didn't say thank you to those who shared these ideas. I can sleep well now that I've gotten that off my chest! :cool: Thanks again!

But I'm not sure exactly who to thank.

I received awesome ideas from lurking on TPF and I just have to put a general THANKS out there for the great suggestions.

A few months ago, my sister was giving my daughter a pedicure on my fairly new leather ottoman. Somehow she placed a cotton ball soaked w/nail polish remover on the ottoman and it left a huge mark. We tried leather conditioner which was obviously no use. My sissy was going to pay to have it re-upholstered but I wouldn't let her. It was an accident, everybody felt bad, and I didn't feel good about her having to pay. She was going to get a quote but hadn't done it yet. Anyway....someone here mentioned that they used Vaseline on patent leather and even though my ottoman isn't patent, I gave it a try. It looks fabulous!!!! I have no idea who to thank, but it concealed it so well my hubby (who wasn't exactly as forgiving as me) couldn't even find the spot! It does need to be reapplied after a while, but it's not greasy....it blends beautifully.

Second....thank you to the person who painted their metallic zoe!!! I had to mix 2 paints to get a perfect color match, but my platinum carly looks brand new. I'd even say it looks better b/c the paint has a teeny bit of sparkle to it that is subtle but gorgeous. The bag is as soft as ever and you can not even see where the rub marks were. Amazing.

It's been bothering me for a long time that I didn't say thank you to those who shared these ideas. I can sleep well now that I've gotten that off my chest! :cool: Thanks again!

I'm the coachie that was so desperate to save my metallic Zoe that I used metallic paint to cover the rub marks and I was really surprised at how well it came out! I am glad to hear that this process has also helped your Carly. Thanks for letting me know.

It was an experiment for me too, so I hope that the paint holds up well over time. Let us know how your Carly holds up, congrats!

I've never tried using vaseline on patent leather but a cobbler once told me that Pledge polish works great at bringing back the shine to patent leather. I haven't tried it yet. Glad to hear that you were able to save your leather ottoman too!

It may have been me that mentioned the vaseline on patent leather in a comment I made a few months ago. However, my comment had to do with how I used to use vaseline to shine up patent that had dulled. Whether it was my comment that you saw or not, I'm glad that it worked for you!

I'm the coachie that was so desperate to save my metallic Zoe that I used metallic paint to cover the rub marks and I was really surprised at how well it came out! I am glad to hear that this process has also helped your Carly. Thanks for letting me know.

It was an experiment for me too, so I hope that the paint holds up well over time. Let us know how your Carly holds up, congrats!

I've never tried using vaseline on patent leather but a cobbler once told me that Pledge polish works great at bringing back the shine to patent leather. I haven't tried it yet. Glad to hear that you were able to save your leather ottoman too!

We tried Pledge on the ottoman but it didn't work. My sister is so relieved now she says she'll just buy us a giant tub of vaseline!

When I applied paint to my carly I spread a bit of paint all over it & then rubbed it in with a rag, so it's a very thin layer of paint. There really is no indication of where the spots were. Seriously...you can not even find them. Not sure how you did it....did you just touch up the spots or did you do like me & blended it throughout? Because there's so little paint I expect it to hold up just fine but I won't mind if I have to touch it up again at some point.

Thank you again for sharing your success story. I NEVER would have tried this w/o your pictures and am so glad that I did. It looks better than new!

It may have been me that mentioned the vaseline on patent leather in a comment I made a few months ago. However, my comment had to do with how I used to use vaseline to shine up patent that had dulled. Whether it was my comment that you saw or not, I'm glad that it worked for you!

I think that is where I heard it b/c the spot where the nail polish remover touched the leather was off color & dull. Somehow the vaseline brought back the color & the finish. Thank you again for sharing this idea. It saved my sister a lot of $$$$ and it looks great. Never would have thought to do that w/o your post.

We tried Pledge on the ottoman but it didn't work. My sister is so relieved now she says she'll just buy us a giant tub of vaseline!

When I applied paint to my carly I spread a bit of paint all over it & then rubbed it in with a rag, so it's a very thin layer of paint. There really is no indication of where the spots were. Seriously...you can not even find them. Not sure how you did it....did you just touch up the spots or did you do like me & blended it throughout? Because there's so little paint I expect it to hold up just fine but I won't mind if I have to touch it up again at some point.

Thank you again for sharing your success story. I NEVER would have tried this w/o your pictures and am so glad that I did. It looks better than new!

I used a wide paint brush to apply the paint and then used my fingers to blend in the edges. First I tried just touching up the spots but it made the repair more obvious so I overpainted the entire area. Glad it worked for you. I posted the info because I knew that there had to be other unhappy metallic owners out there!

I think that is where I heard it b/c the spot where the nail polish remover touched the leather was off color & dull. Somehow the vaseline brought back the color & the finish. Thank you again for sharing this idea. It saved my sister a lot of $$$$ and it looks great. Never would have thought to do that w/o your post.

So glad it worked for you! I first started using the vaseline on patent leather back in high school in the 70's. We used to use it in marching band on our shoes to make them shine before we went out on the field.