Need suggestions for a Road Trip

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. There is a trip I've been wanting to do for awhile.

I'm thinking of flying to Seattle and travel up to Vancouver and Calgary, down through Montana, Wyoming, Salt lake city, and up again via Twin Falls and back to Seattle. I don't know how long that will take, I'm thinking 4 weeks perhaps.

What do you think? Is it a good trip? What should I see on the way? What can I miss. Any suggestions and thoughts are very welcome.

2. I know Cosmos Tours (in the UK) have a bus trip that takes in most of these places and think it lasted about a month. If you were driving I guess it would depend on whether you were taking it easy (stopping for sightseeing / shopping etc) or aiming to cover "X" miles each day...

3. I'll be driving myself .. I prefer not to drive for more than max 2.5 hours/day, that way I get to see as much as possible.

4. Nobody who lives in these areas that have some suggestions?

5. ive never really been thru those areas, but when my friends did a road trip, they used this site to help plan it. http://www.roadtripusa.com/

6. You should take a roadtrip down the coast of Washington. The Olympic Peninsula is absolutely stunning.

7. One of the best vacations for my family has been flying to Vancouver, spending 4 days there, then taking the train to Seattle (great scenic route/rail by the beach all the way) and then driving from Seattle down to San Fransisco. (We have done the lower part with LA and San Diego too on another occasion.)
    The reason we took the train was that only a few car rental companies will rent across the border, it is very expensive and you couldn't get a big enough car (only small sedans). But actually the train part was really fun!
    Vancouver is fantastic and so are the Northern parts of CA and of course SF too
    We spent 3 weeks on this trip and that was a time long enough - you didn't just drive and drive...

8. glacier national park is a must see!! take advantage of the national park system passes. there's a year pass that's a really good deal if you're going to be hitting someof the parks in the US on your trip.

Dunno about the Canadian portion of your trip, but i'd spend all my time in glacier.

9. I can only recommend park-type placed, but for Calgary, definitely Banff (which I'm sure you're considering anyway. I did a road-trip through Utah a few years ago, but it was mostly the canyons in the South of Utah, so I'm not familiar with the north.

10. http://www.nps.gov/ info on the parks in UT, MT, WY, ID and WA so you can plan a route. there are also lots of state parks so be sure to check out the state sites. i'd advise sticking with public lands. folks in that part of the country don't care for trespassers.

the annual pass i was talking about can be purchased here: http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm. it's $80 and is good for a calendar year at any US park (with up to 4 adults).

11. Definitely check out the Buchardt Gardens (the Sunken Garden in particular) on Victoria island.

12. Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons National Park, and Yellowstone National Park are some of my favorite places in the Wyoming region.

13. Thanks so much everyone for your help. I didn't think there would be a problem bringing a rented vehicle into Canada but now I need to check that up. Still not sure for how long I'll be gone. I'll be doing this trip on my own and I'm don't know how long I'll last before I crave company

14. As far as I know, brining a rented vehicle into Canada is not a problem as long as you eventually return it to the US. It gets really expensive when you want to rent from one place and return it to another. I could be wrong though.

15. We did this a couple of years ago during the summer and it was lovely. There is so much to see and do along Highway 101, and plenty of great hikes too. Plus you can take the ferry across from Port Angeles to Victoria and spend some time there too