Need some help to decide on my next buy !

Aya.AA

Jan 4, 2011
Hi Ladies,

I need your expertise to help me decide on my next bag purchase ...
My friends are not really into luxury bags and my only friend who actually understand my addiction and I have complete different tastes so I'm by myself on this !

I should start by saying that I currently own a Balenciaga first in canard which is great for casual outfits, a YSL belle de jour clutch in gold that I carry mostly at night, a large chloe paddy in bordeaux that I use a lot when I have a lot to carry, a celine daydream beige in ostrich which I use more for classy oufits but also when I don't have a lot to carry and a galliano tote which is more a fun / rock bag for me...

What I really need is a STATUS bag because no matter how much I love my bags, they are not very popular in my country and I realise that I'm not taken seriously when I carry my bags.
So what I need is a status bag, that people know. It will also help in my work because in my country people are very materialistic...
So it has to be a status bag... but I still have to be true to myself and carry something that I really like and something that also has this little different touch that makes me feel special. I don't want to carry the bags that everyone has...which is the reason why I have opted for my previous bags...

It also has to be a classic bag...something that I can carry on a regular basic, that will fit with classic and casual outfits...

Lol it looks like I'm really describing a classic Chanel right? :smile: Well I LOVE Chanel but I see it everywhere lately which makes it not so special afterall...

I hate logos handbags, I'm petite so big handbags do not look nice on me, yet I still own mostly small bags and would need something bigger now... And a black bag would also be great...
I don't like Vuitton, Gucci and Dior...Sorry I know I'm not easy... :sad:

I'm mostly considering a classic Chanel (eventough I'm horrified by the perspective on spending so much on a handbag) or a Celine tricolor luggage (even if it is not a popular handbag in my country so it might not be a great choice)...

Well if you you had the patience to read me I'm really lost and need your precious profesionnal advices : a classic, status yet with a different touch handbag... Medium or large, in black... in leather...not casual... and I definetly can't affoard Hermes even if I can consider Chanel...

Help please .... ?

Well i think you're stuck here. You want something that screams "STATUS" but you don't want the most mainstream status bags. I'm not exactly sure how that's going to all work out at the end, because it really seems like if you want a recognizable brand, you're going to have to go with a bag/brand that "a lot of people have."

That being said, the celine luggage tote, as you mentioned, might be a good choice. But you don't seem happy with that option. Maybe a PS1? Or a Mulberry Alexa? Or something from Burberry?

Hate myself for saying this, but nothing says status like Hermes. Most people are into the Birkin but I like the Kelly personally. You could individualize it with an interesting choice of leather or perhaps a tri color like this one.

Attachments

• 1f ostrich  noir anthracite gris clair.jpg
    1f ostrich noir anthracite gris clair.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 239
I'm more into the style than status myself, a lot of status bags are just ugly IMHO. I totally agree about logo purses. If it costs 5 bucks but looks great..I'm on board. I bought a bag for 10 bucks once, people kept asking me if it was a Coach bag and I get compliments on it all the time..but getting off topic here, lol.

But to answer the question, maybe Chanel, Burberry, or Prada like mentioned above.

Hate myself for saying this, but nothing says status like Hermes. Most people are into the Birkin but I like the Kelly personally. You could individualize it with an interesting choice of leather or perhaps a tri color like this one.

This is a beautiful purse and a great suggestion. Who wouldn't want a black Hermes Kelly. :smile:

What's the price range? LV, Chanel or Hermes?

I don't know anything about LV or Chanel prices as I am not interested in either of those brands. In Hermes, I have mostly priced Kellys. Birkins are more expensive and there are other Hermes that are less expensive. I have been doing price research but never bought so my conclusions may be wrong.

You can get a decent used Kelly for $5,000-6.000. A more beat up one for less. In exotic leathers, like croc, new one can be $35,000 plus. I think a nice ordinary one is $7,000 to $12,000 depending on size and leather. I think ostrich is maybe $16,000-18,000. I would imagine the tri-color I posted is more.

Supply of all Hermes bags is so low, and VIP clients and established clients are the ones Hermes sells to. You can't just walk into a Hermes boutique and buy--you have to be deemed worthy by the sales assistant (meaning you have thrown lots of commissions her way on smaller stuff). Some of the VIPs who can get multiple bags turn around and resell these new bags at a premium. The above information is what I have seen from resellers which sell both new and used and what I have read on the Hermes forum. Someone who actually knows--feel free to correct me.

On the Hermes sub forum, there is a thread in which people post prices by size and leather and currency. It is a lot of work to understand. You have to know what all the style and leathers are which are named in french. You have to be able to do the currency translations. But here it is

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-s...-travel-bag-prices-no-chatting-653520-14.html

And for a little mind blowing

http://victoriabeckham-jenna.blogspot.com/2010/01/himalayan-birkin-is-out-in-full-force.html

Imho, no point getting a bag to impress others. To be taken seriously, it involves more than the bag on its own. A Celine ostrich you own isn't exactly affordable to many either.

Back to topic, what you intend is an "understated status symbol bag".

I've never felt any Hermes and Valentino as status symbols. But, I'm not surprised if there are who view them as one. The best way to go is a structured tote bag. A Hermes Vintage Kelly may fit the range of your budget and a Valentino, where I live, only a niche group will buy.

I don't know anything about LV or Chanel prices as I am not interested in either of those brands. In Hermes, I have mostly priced Kellys. Birkins are more expensive and there are other Hermes that are less expensive. I have been doing price research but never bought so my conclusions may be wrong.

You can get a decent used Kelly for $5,000-6.000. A more beat up one for less. In exotic leathers, like croc, new one can be $35,000 plus. I think a nice ordinary one is $7,000 to $12,000 depending on size and leather. I think ostrich is maybe $16,000-18,000. I would imagine the tri-color I posted is more.

Supply of all Hermes bags is so low, and VIP clients and established clients are the ones Hermes sells to. You can't just walk into a Hermes boutique and buy--you have to be deemed worthy by the sales assistant (meaning you have thrown lots of commissions her way on smaller stuff). Some of the VIPs who can get multiple bags turn around and resell these new bags at a premium. The above information is what I have seen from resellers which sell both new and used and what I have read on the Hermes forum. Someone who actually knows--feel free to correct me.

On the Hermes sub forum, there is a thread in which people post prices by size and leather and currency. It is a lot of work to understand. You have to know what all the style and leathers are which are named in french. You have to be able to do the currency translations. But here it is

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-s...-travel-bag-prices-no-chatting-653520-14.html

And for a little mind blowing

http://victoriabeckham-jenna.blogspot.com/2010/01/himalayan-birkin-is-out-in-full-force.html
This is very informative, thanks!

Sorry for my cryptic post, I was wondering how much OP is willing to spend on this "status bag", it has to be something most people would recognize without logos... no LV, Gucci or Dior... all these brands have discrete bags without logos, in beautiful leather, would you consider that OP? If not it'll have to be Chanel, the price is steep but it's totally worth it. Well, it's totally worth it for somebody who really loves the bag, but if it's only for status then maybe it's not worth it to spend so much money for a bag one doesn't really like and is hoping others around would like... Does that make sense? I don't think so :lol:

Thanks a lot for your replies ladies ...
Yes I know I'm kind of stuck :smile:

Options that I definitely considering are the Celine luggage tricolor - but the only cons is that it is not really mainstream in my counrty...
Hermes is definitelty our of my budget...
The higger I can go into in terms of budget is Chanel...

If we exclude the Chanel classic because so many people currently have it, are there any other nice Chanel bags that are recognisable, have this little different touch, quite large format too, and under 3000 $?

Don't get me wrong I adore Chanel and the Chanel classic is my ultimate dream bag, but now that I'm close to have the money, I'm starting questionning myself... I just fear that it might not please me as much as I tought because everyone has it...

Or maybe a Chanel classic in a different color - not in black, maybe silver?

The Mulberry Alexa or PS1 were on my wishlist at some point in time,they completly fit with my style, but now I need something more classic.

I definitey need to do some research on Prada which is a brand that I love....

Just for the record, my Celine ostrich daydream cost me less than 600 $ because it was an old design and it has a small defect in the inside of the bag. I love it but I don't consider it as a status bag because most of people don't even know that it is a Celine, it is really understated, most of people only think that it is a cute clutch...

And for the reason why I think that now I need a status bag is because eventhough I love my bags and I'm verry happy to carry them, I just feel I need a different kind of satisfaction now... being noticed, receiving praises on my bag... which I currenlty don't really have now because I always go for brands that most of people don't know - at least in my country.

It is just a rational choice you know, I don't feel the need to "impress" people daily but it would be nice if I could have at least one bag that can actually communicate status, when I feel I need it... I won't turn into being an attention seeking person, and would still assume my personal style and wear my beloved "unconvential" bags (for my country) with pride, but I still feel I need a "status" addition to my collection...
I don't know if you understand me ladies... I know it is complicated :smile:

I understand Aya, I actually bought an LV to use at work for this purpose, I was perfectly happy with my good quality black leather messenger bag, but people in my office and clients respect the status bag... It's silly I know, but it is what it is...

Yes Prada would be a good option, honestly I think PS1 and Alexa are not classic and will be dated very soon. Chanel has some seasonal bags and totes that are less than classics while still retaining the look.

Now describe what you need in terms of material, color, size, basic shape... Maybe that helps narrow this down :smile:

What is your budget?

Give us an idea what says status to you. Give us an idea of what you have considered but rejected and why.

I see your location as Casablanca. Many people put fantasy locations like Hogswart. Are you in Morocco? What are the top status bags in your country?

Edit:
As I re-read your original post, it sounds like you have already narrowed your choice down to Channel but you want one that is not like the ones everyone else has but is still recognizable as Chanel. Is that what you are asking?

Yes Iwantaspybag that's exactly what I want :smile:
And yes I'm from Morocco where the tops status bags are Vuitton, Chanel and YSL. We are starting to see Hermes too but not a lot actually. I have only seen one Balenciaga in the street... Never saw a McQueen or even a Celine even if they are sold here... never saw a Valentino... Saw some Pradas however... A lot of Logo Guccis also

Many thanks Sayakayumi for your precious help ... :smile: Well I ideally a flap in leather or even vinyl with the Chanel Chain... A noticeable double C... and a normal to large size...

Thanks again :smile:

Do you see much LV in vernis? I think they are quite elegant. Something to consider if you can't find a chanel that meets your needs.

Edit: Don't know why the picture of the alma posted so small, but they are quite lovely IMHO and I am really not an LV afficando.

Attachments

• LV alma.jpg
    LV alma.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 147
  • LV Vernis-Columbus-bronze 14 x 12 $1580 new 885 bbos.jpg
    LV Vernis-Columbus-bronze 14 x 12 $1580 new 885 bbos.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 156