Need some help choosing my first red bag!

pruetjx

May 6, 2014
I'm looking for a red bag to wear with my inner "French Woman" clothes.... I seem to be gravitating towards black plants or full skirts, white and black striped or polka dot tops, red flats. (this is NOT a picture of me..)

923570f9057603794bcce3668f6d60e8.jpg

I've never owned a red handbag. I figure I should get one! I am thinking of either the Crosby in Red Currant:

coach-silvertrue-red-crosby-carryall-in-leather-silver-product-0-232587441-normal.jpeg

or the Sadie small flap in scarlet.

coach-light-goldscarlet-madison-small-sadie-flap-satchel-in-leather-product-1-14302060-457532633.jpeg

I like the older vintage bags but they are usually small and I like to carry a pretty big bag. I'm also 5'10" so tiny bags look ridiculous on me. The Classic Willis was another one I was thinking of, but I'm not sure the red is bright enough. Thoughts on these two bags? Other ideas I should look at?

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-25_18-48-42.jpeg
    upload_2017-3-25_18-48-42.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 472
Reactions: ZSP
Here's a picture of my (wrinkly) white and black striped top with my red classic Willis. I think it looks good. I am not sure if it is as bright as the other red bags you mentioned. Of the two bags listed, I like the Crosby better. Do you like shoulder bags/hobos? If yes, how about a true red nomad?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 472
Reactions: pbnjam and pruetjx
You can't beat the red Willis for vintage style and the bag isn't so tiny that you need to worry about looking ridiculous; but if you like larger bags then the Willis will probably be too small for you.

Like @Iamminda, I also thought of the red Nomads. The Nomad bags are modern, larger bags that have a classic style similar to the vintage bags. They also have a gorgeous leather lining, often of a contrasting color. There are 3 Nomad bags in the red family that I know of: True Red, Carmine, and Black Cherry, see the pics below. The True Red and Carmine Bags have silver hardware and the Black Cherry's hardware is light gold. The True Red Nomad may be the bright red bag that you are looking for.

Red bags are difficult to photograph accurately but you should be able to find reveal pics here on TPF and in the Nomad Clubhouse.

I have the Carmine Nomad and it is an orange-red color and it has beautiful dahlia (pink) leather lining, you can see interior pics at the link below. I don't know the color of the lining of the True Red and Black Cherry but I am sure that you can find interior pictures online, the style numbers and the hardware and color codes are listed below.

They all have the same interior construction, including leather trim on the slip pockets and they have a leather snap hook inside. They come with a crossbody strap but I usually just wear mine as a shoulder bag. I believe that some of the earliest Nomads had slip pockets made of fabric but I'm not sure about that.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/i-orangent-have-bought-it-but-i-did-reveal.949429/#post-30507691
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...orized-and-loaded-nomad.950262/#post-30549915

There are some nomads at the outlets right now but not the red ones. The Carmine bags were in the outlet last fall. I think that the True Red and Carmine were on the FOS Coach online sale recently but they sold out quickly, but they should be available NWT on eBay.

Good luck searching for your perfect red bag!

1) True Red Nomad 36026 SV DN8
2) Carmine Nomad 36026 SV EMK
3) Black Cherry Nomad 36026 LI BCY

Attachments

• 36026_svdn8_a0.jpg
    36026_svdn8_a0.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 36026_svemk_a0.jpg
    36026_svemk_a0.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 36026_libcy_a0.jpg
    36026_libcy_a0.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - They are all good suggestions! I like the look of the Willis with the black and white striped shirt. I wore my black Willis today to remind myself how I feel about this bag (Is it wrong that I have so many bags I don't remember which ones I really like??? And that I'm still looking for new ones???) The Willis is just about at my limit for size - I don't think I could go any smaller and I think the Sadie is a little bit smaller. The Nomad is a beautifully made bag, but it doesn't have an outside pocket! Thats a bit of a deal breaker for me. I was thinking maybe the red Harley though. I believe its MFF, but it seems to be a nice red, and has a pocket..

...I was thinking maybe the red Harley though. I believe its MFF, but it seems to be a nice red, and has a pocket..

They had a lot of Harleys in clearance at my outlet on Saturday at a great price (40% off plus another 50% off) but I can't remember if there were any red ones left. I really like the look of Harleys, they are beautiful MFF bags, but I don't like the feel of the leather as much as with many of the boutique bags. It feels a little less substantial (or even a bit flimsy) as compared to a classic bag like the Willis - now that's wonderful leather!

Anyway, that's just my opinion, but if you haven't had the opportunity, you might want to check out a Harley IRL before ordering online.

Last edited:
Ohhhh, the Rogue. Yessssssssss. It is gorgeous and I have gone to "visit" the one at the mall a few times. The leather is just so beautiful. Its like the "old" Coach bags. I love those bags, but my wallet doesn't. That's why I was thinking some of the older styles, they are less expensive. I'm not completely sure I'll wear a red bag all the time, so I don't want to spend a ton on one. I will say this, if I were to suddenly inherent some money and were able to spend it all on myself, I'd probably buy the denim rogue. That one really gets me. Or there is another one that is kind of a yellow color and has contrasting handles, I'm not sure what the color is called. I love that one too.

Reactions: katev