Workplace need some advise on career... should I fight for my dream job?

ChloeSS

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
I am working in the bank and i've worked in my position for around 1.5 years. and I saw my dream position available on the career page.. so I applied through the internal website (within same company).. also discussed with my manager. she thinks my ability will be more than enough for that position and even said it is a waste if i move to that department since i can do better than that.. anyway that is what i want to do..it is kind of head office department..

I submitted my cv.. and next day earily in the morning, I got a decline letter generate by HR. the letter looks like a template that they send to everyone. I am very very upset cos i believe at least... they should give me a call or interview with me before the decline as my manager also agree I am suitable for the position in her pt of view...

ok... now... what next..

shall I email my cv directly to the department manager? since the HR rejected my CV through the first step, the department head never have a chance to read my cv at all?

I also has a friend working in that department.. throughout the process.. she didnt offer me any help.. so I just asked her today to see if she could maybe talk to her manager and pass my cv directly to her.. ( i sent her a txt). she didnt reply. I guess she dont really want the hassle. and I gave her a call just chat about other things and she suddenly said she will ask the manager for me..

I hope she will really do it..

So... i just need some opinion or advise on my situation. Shall I email the manager directly and do everything I can to get into an interview?

Or.. wait for the news from my friend?

Or... just give up.. HR already rejected my application...

many thanks for all your help.

I am working in the bank and i've worked in my position for around 1.5 years. and I saw my dream position available on the career page.. so I applied through the internal website (within same company).. also discussed with my manager. she thinks my ability will be more than enough for that position and even said it is a waste if i move to that department since i can do better than that.. anyway that is what i want to do..it is kind of head office department..

I submitted my cv.. and next day earily in the morning, I got a decline letter generate by HR. the letter looks like a template that they send to everyone. I am very very upset cos i believe at least... they should give me a call or interview with me before the decline as my manager also agree I am suitable for the position in her pt of view...

ok... now... what next..

shall I email my cv directly to the department manager? since the HR rejected my CV through the first step, the department head never have a chance to read my cv at all?

I also has a friend working in that department.. throughout the process.. she didnt offer me any help.. so I just asked her today to see if she could maybe talk to her manager and pass my cv directly to her.. ( i sent her a txt). she didnt reply. I guess she dont really want the hassle. and I gave her a call just chat about other things and she suddenly said she will ask the manager for me..

I hope she will really do it..

So... i just need some opinion or advise on my situation. Shall I email the manager directly and do everything I can to get into an interview?

Or.. wait for the news from my friend?

Or... just give up.. HR already rejected my application...

many thanks for all your help.

You should send an email to the manager and also speak to your friend when the right moment comes up. why is it that some friends really do not help others? One of the reasons I replied to this thread is because I recently helped my friend get her dream job in Events, I didnt do it for kudos, I just felt it was the right thing to do.
I wish you lots of luck with this and I hope that you get it, but remember, there are going to be other opportunities.
Good luck
Sammyjoex

I helped 2 of my friend as well. the HR system is hopeless ( sorry to say if anyone here work for HR).. I just submit my friends applicaiton to my manager directly and my manager is very happy with their performance. and save all the process to go through HR.

but since the position has been listed on HR website... and all application has to go through there.. my only concern is.. am I too agressive if I email the manager directly? and will they laugh behind me??

I am very surprised that about my friend .. she was the one who told me the job available and suggested me to apply but never offer to help me directly on it.

and when I txt her today.. she didnt reply... i wonder what she is thinking.. are we not close enough or.. it is a bit of hassle??

anyway when I called her today I didnt bring up the topic again since I just want to ask her to go out have a drink and maybe she felt sorry for not replying my txt .. and she brought it up herself.. i hope she will really ask for me. cos it will help me a lot! but i dont want to keep remind her or give her pressure..

At the very least I would email HR and ask for their reasoning in rejecting your application when your immediate manager finds you to be more than capable. Get in writing the reasons they think you not suitable, so that you can point to each one and fight your case.

Good luck

Don't take it too personally; there are many reasons why you may have been rejected that don't mean they hate you. For example, they may have already had a preferred candidate in mind and just did the job posting as a formality; or they had specific criteria that you didn't possess that automatically knocked you out of the running.

If this is your dream job, I wouldn't think it would be bad to email the hiring manager and explain that you just want to know what you can do in the next 1-3 years to prepare for the position the next time it becomes available. That way it doesn't sound like you're pushy and just want an interview; it sounds like you want to better yourself to get a chance in the future. Who knows, they may spill the beans on why you weren't considered, or admire your interest and invite you for an interview anyway. But you shouldn't come across as desperate. Good luck!

^^ Great advice! Unfortunately, many personnel/hiring groups seem to want to quickly find ways to screen candidates out and for no apparent reason.

ITA to not take it personally. Find out what you can do to polish your skills to be considered a good match for that role!