need some advice

Feb 8, 2007
hi all!

I'm selling a bag right now and have gotten some questions about it and people have been satisfied with the responses.

this morning I got a question about authenticity. I have included the receipt from the boutique and have also provided what I think is the date number that the potential buyer is looking for...

my feedback is 100% positive.i have disclosed everything and taken pictures of the whole bag. the buyer wants to know if it isn't authentic will she get her money back. Here's the thing about that. I've read absolute HORROR stories here in the ebay forum about people receiving authentic goods and then saying they're not authentic and they do a bait and switch and send back a non authentic item. i told the buyer that I would be happy to provide more pix, etc., but, I don't think the buyers are the only people who are skittish in a transaction. we sellers need to feel protected as well! I have also included in the auction that the bag will only be shipped via ups signature required so that buyer's item is protected. after the item ships I will post the tracking number in both ebay and paypal.

what else can i do to protect myself? the bag, of course, is 100% authentic. i explained to her that selling fakes is illegal and copyright infringement as well.

would love some advice/help...

thanks!!!

I'm very accommodating when it comes to answering questions, providing pictures, referring potential buyers to several authentication options (including professional authentications) and doing all I can to reassure them of my honesty.

But after doing that, if the buyer comes back with a question about learning the item is fake after the sale, delivery and receipt, that raises my spidey sense and I'd probably block.

Before blocking, I'd send a message to the effect of, "I only sell authentic items, my listing and description show all the necessary details to prove authenticity and I've supplied you with additional pictures you've requested. Because you seem concerned about authenticity, I've referred you to TPF's "authenticate this _____". Although there are a lot of fakes out there, there are still honest sellers too. If you still aren't comfortable, you might find that ebay isn't for you."

Depending on her response, I'd decide whether to block or make the sale.

It's important to try not to be defensive but to reassure her of your integrity.

i'm very accommodating when it comes to answering questions, providing pictures, referring potential buyers to several authentication options (including professional authentications) and doing all i can to reassure them of my honesty.

But after doing that, if the buyer comes back with a question about learning the item is fake after the sale, delivery and receipt, that raises my spidey sense and i'd probably block.

Before blocking, i'd send a message to the effect of, "i only sell authentic items, my listing and description show all the necessary details to prove authenticity and i've supplied you with additional pictures you've requested. Because you seem concerned about authenticity, i've referred you to tpf's "authenticate this _____". Although there are a lot of fakes out there, there are still honest sellers too. If you still aren't comfortable, you might find that ebay isn't for you."

depending on her response, i'd decide whether to block or make the sale.

It's important to try not to be defensive but to reassure her of your integrity.

+1

The other option you have is to authenticate the bag yourself for a small fee.

It puts your mind at rest as well as the buyers & you can state that in your listing.

It also lets a buyer know that you have an authentic item & no fooling around, IYKWIM

In a dispute, unfortunately ebay/pp does not consider the purse forum an authenticating
approved service.

If this is a high end designer bag, you may want to consider that option or just take
your chance selling it to this buyer.

Thanks so much; great advice! I've posted 12 pix including the receip, date tag and inside/outside and disclosed everything. I really appreciate the response you shared with me. That's what I'll do if I hear from her again. Thanks!

I'm very accommodating when it comes to answering questions, providing pictures, referring potential buyers to several authentication options (including professional authentications) and doing all I can to reassure them of my honesty.

But after doing that, if the buyer comes back with a question about learning the item is fake after the sale, delivery and receipt, that raises my spidey sense and I'd probably block.

Before blocking, I'd send a message to the effect of, "I only sell authentic items, my listing and description show all the necessary details to prove authenticity and I've supplied you with additional pictures you've requested. Because you seem concerned about authenticity, I've referred you to TPF's "authenticate this _____". Although there are a lot of fakes out there, there are still honest sellers too. If you still aren't comfortable, you might find that ebay isn't for you."

Depending on her response, I'd decide whether to block or make the sale.

This is great, will use this template in future if that's ok :smile: Good luck to the OP with this transaction, selling on eBay can be a bit stressful!
Th