need some advice about buying a home...

swee7bebe said:
the owner made a counter offer for $239000 and to close earlier than what i had asked (the end of may). so that's not too far away from what i had offered. i put in a counter offer for $238000 and to keep the closing at the end of may. i'll wait and see what happens. i should find out today...man, this is stressful...

Dont forget you will be able to beat them up by a couple thousand for the home inspection!

Selena

gillianna said:
Good luck with the condo. I hope you get it. You agent should have put the offer in writing. I really hate RE agents. Everytime we bought or sold with a RE agent we were lied to. `The house we just bought the seller did not put numerous things on the disclosure statement (like lighting struck the house and major electrial work was repaired), flood in the basement and the RE agent was this person's best friend and lived 2 houses in back of us so the agent knew it all and still let the sellers submit a disclosure statement that nothing was ever wrong with the house. We also had a house we wanted to buy in Florid and when we went to sign the contracts for the 3rd time, we were told another buyer was interested and blah blah blah, I think they wanted us to up our offer and I said "let the other buyers have it" and walked out--funny thing is that it took the sellers over a year to sell the house-I guess the other buyers didn't exist.
I think buying a home could be the most stressful thing you do----then you have to wait till closing and pray everything goes right.
I hope you get the condo. It sounds like it has everything you want. Good luck.:biggrin:

It is stressful..but when you finish closing and get the keys and walk into your home for the first time, there is nothing like it! Its all worth it. Like childbirth!!!

Selena

Selena said:
It is stressful..but when you finish closing and get the keys and walk into your home for the first time, there is nothing like it! Its all worth it. Like childbirth!!!

Selena

haha, i don't have any kids so i don't know how it feels. i've seen enough of it at work though, to make me not look forward to the labor. *ouch*

swee7bebe said:
the owner made a counter offer for $239000 and to close earlier than what i had asked (the end of may). so that's not too far away from what i had offered. i put in a counter offer for $238000 and to keep the closing at the end of may. i'll wait and see what happens. i should find out today...man, this is stressful...
The difference between $238,000 and $239,000 turns out to be less than $5/month on a standard 30 year fixed mortgage. I believe that every penny counts, but you certainly are taking it to an extreme!

Good luck!

coco-nut said:
The difference between $238,000 and $239,000 turns out to be less than $5/month on a standard 30 year fixed mortgage. I believe that every penny counts, but you certainly are taking it to an extreme!

Good luck!

you know...that's what i said too, but my dad still wants me to keep going lower. i don't see $5/month higher a big deal.

^^^ you don't want to lose this condo...sometimes playing hardball is just not in your favor. Don't quibble over $1000...just give the seller what they want and be done with it. You don't want another buyer to come along and put you in a bidding war!!

Hi Swee, First, everything should be offered, counter offered, in WRITTING. Next check out what other homes are going for. This is a great website: www.zillow.com. You can check out the value of the home you're interested in and homes within the area. It's a FREE service and there's no need to sign up or anything. Also if the people are unwilling to budge on the price, then accept the price they're listing for, but get them to front the closing costs. I don't know what kind of loan you got, but I can offer better information if you want to pm me. My sisters and I invest in real estate and there's sooo much you can do. I bought my first home when I was 22 with a big chuck of change down. It's not like that anymore. I've gotten into homes with NOTHING down. Last one was bought like that in CA. Hope that helps.

esiders said:
^^^ you don't want to lose this condo...sometimes playing hardball is just not in your favor. Don't quibble over $1000...just give the seller what they want and be done with it. You don't want another buyer to come along and put you in a bidding war!!

If you REALLY want this condo..dont screw around over $1,000! You will regret it later. You will be able to make up the difference during home inspection.

Selena

my3sons said:
Next check out what other homes are going for. This is a great website: www.zillow.com. You can check out the value of the home you're interested in and homes within the area. It's a FREE service and there's no need to sign up or anything.
Oh my. Has anyone else tried this site out? I sold a house six months ago for $470K, and zillow says it's now worth $184K. I have no idea where they are pulling their data from, but in town after town, they are consistently inconsistent. Too high in some places, far too low in others.

Hi Coconut. I've used it before. I appraised the 1st home I own with it and it's 100K lower than when I had someone come out to appraise. However I did extensive upgrades which are HARD to calculate and input into a program. Did you do any of that?

I think Domaina.com is a better site than zillow. Domaina tells you the price the property SOLD for based on what was registered with the deed. So it can take up to 90 days for a property to show up on Domaina because that's how long it takes to register the deed.

hey everyone...i got the condo!!!! :nuts: thank you all so much for your help. ack...now i can't sleep...hehehe...

btw...does anyone know of anyone who would want to sublet an apartment in edison? i want to try to find a sublet for the remainder of my lease.