Need SkinCare Recomendation for Tween!

kmarney

O.G.
Sep 26, 2007
I hope you can help! My daughter is turning 12 and entering puberty. She has beautiful skin and I hope she is as blessed as I was with limited skin problems. However, her skin has developed bumps over the cheek area which I believe are caused by some dryness from the sun and her face wash. She is using Velocity from Mary Kay because I personally love my adult version and I've tried all the major, high-end brands. Her skin seems to be combination so she probably needs something lightweight.

I want to start her off right, but I don't thin it is necessary to buy something that a woman would wear. Does a 12 year old really need something like LaMer? I don't believe so. So, I'm asking you all for your guidance on finding the right moisturizer and cleanser.

The closest Sephora is an hour away and our department store is limited...not a big fan of Clinique. Is Neutrogena a good brand for tweens? I think it is quite possible I grew up using Oil of Olay! Yikes!:nuts:

Okay, she 100% most definitely does NOT need something like La Mer.

A good skin cleanser is Cetaphil... and for a toner? I'd recommend Witch Hazel. I have to use an oil free moisturizer because my skin is very sensitive and acne prone, so I use Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. All drugstore products. I've tried the high end products, but this is what works for me. A good "higher end" cleanser is Purity Made Simple by Philosophy.

And, if you don't mind spending a little bit of money... get her a Clarisonic. I believe that the Clarisonic has done WONDERS for my skin. Also, the Clarisonic comes in a smaller version (that's also cheaper!) now called the "Mia." Something to look in to.

Funny, my daughter is 12 and also has those bumps. They drive me crazy but she could care less! I just try to get her to use my cleanser and exfoliator. The exfoliator I have is very very gentle, by chanel and usually they go away. Unfortunately, she's not diligent about using these products so of course they come back. I don't go too crazy nagging her as I'm sure in enough time she'll be into all that skincare stuff.

My almost-11 year old has those bumps too. I started her using Noxema which doesn't dry out your skin, but she didn't like the tingly feeling. She's now on Neutrogena face wash and moisterizer.

Aveeno has some good products too, and I may move to that if those little bumpies don't go away!

I used Proactiv as long as I could afford it and I really liked it -- it really helped my skin when I was younger. It has a good system and it would help her get into a routine of taking care of her skin daily. The face wash and lotion are great, personally I think the toner is pointless. Hope this helps!

I agree with Cetaphil and Neutrogena.. anything else and you'll just be tossing money down the drain, literally. I'd wait for the higher end skin care for her until she's a bit older.

I also agree with the Purity made simple by Philosophy suggestion. My best friend swears by Philosophy. I think another one that is relatively priced well is Kiehls, but from what you have posted I don't think you have a store near you. But there are a lot of good suggestions here. If none of them work out, and you drive near the Sephora you can go in and get samples of other lines.

What I'd recommend for her has been mentioned, ie Cetaphil, Philosophy, Proactive. I think these would work great for most people of that age.

I must agree with PrettyInPink - get her a Clarisonic if you can! Its done wonders for my skin and I think it would help her establish a cleansing routine and stick to it. It's important to stay consistant and the Clarisonic is alot more fun to use than a washcloth or fingers (in my opinion).

I know you don't like Clinique but my mom has been getting me Clinique dramatically different gel and moisture surge for a few years now. I'm 3 years older than your daughter and these are great moisturizers for combo skin. When I was in middle school I was really bad about putting moisturizer on and that is one thing that helps your skin if you get the right one that doesn't clog your pores even more. Cetaphil is a good cleanser. I like it. Make sure she uses a gentle exfoliator too. There are plenty of drugstore ones that can be used a few times a week