Need positive vibes for my mare Willa---Laminitis!!

CobaltBlu

Butterfly Wrangler
O.G.
Oct 20, 2006
Please keep my lovely mare Willa in your thoughts and prayers....

I dont know how this happened, I am so careful. But she has a case of laminitis, a serious disease of the hoof that can lead to ...... ack....I cannot say it.....

We caught it very early, and she is on medication, but I am devastated as she is a new mom and I have to move her and her baby to another facility when I leave for the mainland. Stress is not good for this condidion, but I must move her or risk injury when the fireworks happen here over new years....She will be so worried, she is a worrier. But I have to move her, its too dangerous here.:sad:

I am sick with worry. I love this horse....
And the guilt...What did I do WRONG???? :crybaby::crybaby:

She is able to walk, and appears fairly sound, though both front feet are affected.

She is off all grain, and pretty angry about it.
The vet has her on bute 2 g a day, and she is on grass hay and oat/alf cubes only.

We have so little veterinary help here on the island, and it is difficult to know the best thing to do...reading online is making me cry. :crybaby:

Thanks for listening.

Oh I am so so so sorry to hear about this cobaltblu. You are such a good mom to Willa and are obviously taking the best care of her you absolutely can. I will keep you and your family (both two and four legged!) in my thoughts. :heart: I wish her a speedy recovery. Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

I hope your horse pulls thru...I hate hearing about Dxxing or ailing (sp) animals. That's why I could never watch Disney movies, The Fox and the Hound and forget Bambi.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how awful laminitis can be (rode and owned horses for over 10 years), so I wish you and Willa the best of luck. Keep us updated! You know you can always come here for support.

Thank you all......I really appreciate the support and care here. I really do. I also appreciate the distraction...

I keep going over in my head what I did wrong.....I can only think that I should have cut back on her grain when the weather got so bad here three weeks ago or so, she has been so inactive...

so distressing. thank you for listening.....its so hard. most of my horsey friends here are gone, leaving, or have holiday visitors, KWIM.... I am just muddling along.

She is standing and walking comfortably, and walking around her paddock with her baby....she has a beautiful dry place to eat and sleep. And she is taking her medicine....

Thank you again.....It means a lot. It really does.

Rhoda, Hello and I are sending canine, equine and human prayers for Willa!

She'll be OK, for sure! For sure! You caught it early.

Sometimes these things just happen. Don't beat yourself up.