Need opinions on a bday gift!

Feb 13, 2006
It is my friend's birthday and I was planning to get her a pair of Uggs, which I know she has been wanting. But in the past month, she has been really short on cash (works fulltime but taking and paying for continuing ed classes). It has gotten to the point where the other day she told me she didn't have enough for morning coffee and had to take an advance from her boss.

With her money situation, I was thinking to take the 200 for Uggs, and instead give her an Amex gift card. But with the gift card, she will use it for everyday expenses and she won't get a splurge gift for herself, which she deserves and might make her feel good and life her spirits. But at the same time, I know she could really use the money.

What should I do?? Give her an Amex card or the Uggs?

How about a combination of the two?

Perhaps the Amex card for $100 to do with what she wants (even if it's to pay her bills)....and a $100 gift certificate to a store she likes (Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Macys, Sephora, a spa or hair salon...wherever you know she would be sure to splurge on something special for herself)...

Hmmm...that is a somewhat tough decision, because both choices would be good. I see where you are coming from with the Amex card and how it would just be used for everyday things instead of something that she deserves, and as much as I'd like to say go for it and buy her the Uggs something that is just for herself. The Amex card may indeed be a better choice, just so she will have the money for food and basic items.

I personally think you should get her the Uggs... I don't know her personally, but I imagine she will be able to get by. Instead of spending the 200 bucks on everyday things over the course of a couple of weeks, she will have a very versatile pair of shoes that she has wanted for a while and will last her forever.

Also, I am a firm believer that gifts should be fun and something the receiver would not likely splurge for themselves.... JMHO though

id feel weird about getting money from a friend even tho its in the form of a gift card. why not buy her a $50 gift and then stuff another $150 deep in her purse when shes out of the room.

Thank you the responses. I would love to hear some more opinions! I like the idea about giving 100 amex card and maybe a spa service or something.
The stuffing money in her purse made me laugh...not sure how that one would go :smile:

If it were me I'd give her the Uggs. She obviously can't go out right this second and get them and she will always remember how, when she was in a tough spot, you gave her something she really wanted. It always seems when I have the least amount of spare cash is when I want to shop haha While it may not buy her a cup of coffee tomorrow it will make her feel like a million bucks when she puts those Uggs on and struts out of the house :yes:

I know this isn't the ideal answer, but what if you went to her and asked her what she would prefer? Trust me, I love gifts to be surprises and I love surprising people, but this girl sounds like she is in a sticky financial situation. What if that $200 meant she could pay a bill this month that she was really worried about? Or what if she has figured her situation out and really wants Uggs? Maybe if you asked you could find out which would suit her needs best at this moment in her life. And if you do end up getting her Uggs at least the color and style could be a surprise :smile:

How about a combination of the two?

Perhaps the Amex card for $100 to do with what she wants (even if it's to pay her bills)....and a $100 gift certificate to a store she likes (Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Macys, Sephora, a spa or hair salon...wherever you know she would be sure to splurge on something special for herself)...

I agree

Oh, I did ask her because we are close enough for me to. I told her I had her gift picked out, but I know she is struggling, and which would she prefer. She told me not to get her anything this year bc cash is tight for both of us right now, and I told her I was going to...so just tell me! She wouldn't though, and just kept saying not to get her anything. I do know she has some bills she is worried about though :sad:

What kind of uggs does she want? Maybe you could try to find them cheeper or on sale, then you could pay her the difference in a gift card? Do you live near a ugg outlet? I know Woodbury Commons has one, but you should probibly call ahead to make sure they have what she wants.
Also, check the deals & steals section. There are quite a few threads about Uggs I believe. Also- check marshalls, TJ maxx, etc.
Good luck!

When I have been in a not so good financial situation and christmas or my b-day is approaching as much as I'd love the gifts, I never enjoy them because I feel sick to my stmach about bills bills bills. I'd giver her like $150 in cash and a $50 gift card to someplace like macys, nordies, etc. a amex giftcard can't be used to pay bills, so she'd only be able to use it on stuff like groceries, which might not be a huge worry for her right now. JMO though, good luck on getting her a gift! :smile:

Couple of my friends give cheques on my bday and would say I didn't know what to get you so buy what you want. Also, since my dad never likes anything, all of us would give him either cash or cheques for any special occassion.