Need opinion on Gladiola Roma!!

Jun 4, 2006
Hi Ladies,

I haven't had time to come here (or go shopping for purses). But yesterday I finally went to BV and wow, the Gladiola Roma is gorgeous!!! I love purple and I like how the Gladiola purple has a hint of purple but not THAT purple.

Anyways, I know I love the color, but my SA told me that the color only comes in 3 styles - Sloane, Pyramid and Roma. I think I only like the look of the Roma out of these three styles....

But I am feeling unsure about the Roma (it's a hand-held bag so certainly not too baby-friendly...even though you can adjust the length of the handles and try to carry on shoulders, but I think it looks odd that way and not too comfy...). I am also concerned about the weight of the bag. Any Roma owner wanna tell me how you like the bag.

Finally, I am wondering if I need another purple BV (I have the Lilac medium cabat). Wonder if a Gladiola Roma would be a good choice given my current collection:

- Baltic Large Veneta
- Lilac Medium Cabat
- Elephant Large Campana
- Copper Ostrich Belly Bag (by the way, I forgot to update you all, but BV fixed the bag and touched up on the area where there was a spot without the metallic color finished. i think they did a pretty good job).
- Upcoming special order Ottone Large Capri!

You definitely have room in your collection for something in gladiola, especially if you love the color.

I don't own a Roma because the bag doesn't work for me. It's a combination of hand-held, too heavy, and too many compartments. I'm odd in that I like one big space in my bag; I find it easier to find things in one space than in three separate compartments. I also have a low tolerance for hand-held bags that are larger than clutches -- I'm a shoulder bag or clutch gal.

But what matters is how the bag would work for you. Did you carry it around the store for a while? Did you get a chance to put your personal items in it to see how the compartments work with what you usualy carry? Maybe you can use it for outings when you don't have the kids with you, or when you have another adult with you to help with the childcare? The Roma is a very lady-like bag, and that could be exactly what you're looking for.

lol--I have 3 romas and would love to get the gladiola! I have promised myself that I won't get it though unless I get rid of one of my others. (and today I don't think I could let one of my beauties go!)

I know you said you don't like to adjust the strap on the romas so you can carry it on the shoulder but I do. I don't think it makes the bag look odd. With the strap adjusted it fits on my shoulder very nicely.

It isn't particularly light, but it isn't too heavy for me.

Like doreenjoy said, I think it is a very lady-like bag and I love that about it. I think it is an elegant looking bag, but can still be casual!

lol--I have 3 romas and would love to get the gladiola! I have promised myself that I won't get it though unless I get rid of one of my others. (and today I don't think I could let one of my beauties go!)

I know you said you don't like to adjust the strap on the romas so you can carry it on the shoulder but I do. I don't think it makes the bag look odd. With the strap adjusted it fits on my shoulder very nicely.

It isn't particularly light, but it isn't too heavy for me.

Like doreenjoy said, I think it is a very lady-like bag and I love that about it. I think it is an elegant looking bag, but can still be casual!

Can you show me modeling pic of how the bag look on your shoulder??

I love the color and presentation of this bag. But like doreenjoy, I wasn't fond of the 3 compartments, so sold my ferro Roma. But others find the compartments great, so please don't take just my opinion on the style.

I love my romas and for me the compartments keep everything from jumbling together. It can get heavy if stuffed. I have ferro, marmo and old petra. Unless you really love purple though, it does seem similar to your lilac cabat.

I agree the roma can get alil heavier than say the pyramid or campana and while it can be carried on the shoulder, it is not as comfortable as the other styles with broader shoulder straps. However, I love it cos it fits my working lifestyle.

Gladiola is such an amazing colour and I think there's definitely space for that colour in your collection. If the roma doesn't suit your lifestyle, maybe you can consider the pyramid/sloane? They seem to be more your 'style' considering you have the veneta and campana which are both more casual. Plus since you have the SO large capri coming, it may be too similar to the roma style-wise with the front lock. JMHO.

Do let us know what you decide and lots of pics please! :P

ssc0916: Thanks, can't wait!

If say the roma somehow doesn't work for me, I wonder if I would want a sloane or a pyramid, but I have tried them both in the store as well and for some reasons, I am just not loving how the sloane or pyramid looks on my shoulder....

When will that large Capri arrive? .. I think you should use that a bit (not that an ottone would be your everyday hack-around bag!) .. and see how you like that one big open space. .. because the Roma is three smaller spaces, that would make an interesting comparison. Roma is so pretty but people often mention the weight. Maybe you want a second Capri ..or a Bella, is that big enough? Or the Parachute?
hahah ok have I confused you?? Have fun in the hunt!

When will that large Capri arrive? .. I think you should use that a bit (not that an ottone would be your everyday hack-around bag!) .. and see how you like that one big open space. .. because the Roma is three smaller spaces, that would make an interesting comparison. Roma is so pretty but people often mention the weight. Maybe you want a second Capri ..or a Bella, is that big enough? Or the Parachute?
hahah ok have I confused you?? Have fun in the hunt!

I don't know when I will get my Capri............I wish I can get it now!! Actually I think Ottone is actually a more neutral color than the Gladiola, right?

My major concern of the Roma is the weight and the fact that it is hand-held (I just cannot see it as something I can comfortably carry on my shoulder....). I am fine with the compartments (minus the weight, that is...).

I am starting to think that I might not get the Roma after all. And if I really really want to have a Gladiola bag.....I might have to reconsider the sloane or the pyramid......

Glad to see here hikarupanda, hope that you and your lovely DD are doing great - she is so cute and beautiful in your avatar

Gladiola is a gorgeous color but Roma, Sloane and Pyramid do not work for me, that's why I like what annie suggested SLG in Galdiola :tup:

Or maybe you should wait for your SO IMO Capri and Roma are very similar maybe your SO change your mind and convince you to buy a Roma :nuts:

hikarupanda--

Ok. Here are the promised pictures. Turns out I don't adjust the strap to the lowest position, but use the mid position.

Here is my 5 ft 4 inch daughter modeling it. She said for it to be comfortable for her she needed to wear it as shown....

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

She also commented
  1. that she would never wear a bag this large on her shoulder
  2. one of the straps kept slipping off
When I wear it I don't push it to my back as she as here, I don't think it is too large for my shoulder, and I don't have as much trouble keeping both straps on my shoulder as she did.

Sounds like you may have already decided against the roma though!