Need opinion for bridesmaid dresses

sBella

Feb 25, 2010
I have an idea for my bridesmaid dresses but I want some experts' opinions. I'm not really a traditional bride (I'm wearing bright blue CLs on the big day) and we are not really having a traditional wedding. It's in a really cool industrial space in NYC and we got a very artistic photographer that doesn't take many posed pictures. Since my bridesmaids range from supermodel thin and tall to short and voluptuous, it's hard to find a dress to fit them all. I was thinking they could each go and buy their own knee length, black satin dress that looks good on them. The material will atleast be the same so it won't be awkward in pictures. One of my bridesmaids is skeptical of the idea because it won't be uniform in pictures. I just don't understand why I have to follow guidelines if that's not really my style...

Is it going to be a disaster waiting to happen or are you guys on board with the idea??

It will be a disaster if the person officiating the wedding doesn't show up, or if some girl shouts out before the "I dos", "But darling! What about US? Little Suzie misses here daddy!"

I don't like the idea of black for weddings, but in NYC it's pretty common, and if you'll look back on those pictures 1 year, 5 years, 20 years from now and smile, it's all good. Do you really think two decades from now you'll look at those pictures and think, "Why did I let my bridesmaids wear different dresses!?" If not...find something else to worry about. Like joint income tax filing, him leaving the toilet seat up, etc.

If you're okay with their dresses, then I don't think you should worry. I think the reason why bridesmaids wear uniform dresses is so that the bride can stand out. It's a little distracting when bridesmaids where different dresses b/c then guests may be checking out the dresses during the ceremony. I know I would!

I think it should be okay. I'd rather see them in different dresses than making them wear the same dress if it's ill-fitting on half of them. Maybe just look at all the dresses before they buy them or something, so you can make sure they'll look good together :smile:

I think that's a great idea. That way no one has to deal with the dreaded ugly bridesmaid dress but everyone looks uniform. This is especially smart since you have a wide range of body types in your bridesmaids.

You guys seem to get me.

I'm confident enough that I don't want my closest friends and family in horrendous uniform dresses just so I stand out. I want them to feel hot, look hot, and be able to enjoy the night without thinking about how they can't wait to get home and burn that fugly dress.

Is there anything I should keep uniform so it won't look messy?

i've actually heard tons of times that having uniform bridesmaids dresses is old fashion. just make sure you get the final say in the dresses and set some sort of guideline before they buy their dresses- like the dresses have to be at least a certain length (and color and fabric like you mentioned). and if you don't want dresses that have some sort of embellishment then make sure they just get plain black satin dresses and not dresses that are suited more for proms and homecomings.

I think it's a great idea and the length and the similar fabrics will keep it somewhat cohesive - my sister had do do this for a wedding she was in and she was so happy and so were the other maids and the bride loved it too - I say go for it.

The most recent weddings I've been to have all had different bridesmaid dresses - in fact, I'd probably find it more odd to see a wedding party so matchy-matchy these days! Like others said, most allow their bridesmaids to pick a different style provided it's the same fabric and/or color. I'm a fan of those Butter by Nadia dresses (they have a bunch of those styles on Etsy as well, and Two Birds Bridesmaids have their own) because the girls can wear one style down the aisle, and switch it up for the reception!

http://www.twobirdsbridesmaid.com/main.html

I am only having two bridesmaids, so I asked them to wear matching black J.Crew dresses (these: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wom...~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~sophia/96454.jsp). It sounds almost like they want a little more direction from you- perhaps you could choose a brand/collection and ask them to pick a dress from that collection? Even if you say "black satin" there are a lot of variations on that, so they could end up looking less uniform than you expected. Take a look at the J.Crew site- for example, you could ask them to each pick a dress from the taffeta collection in black, and they would look a bit more pulled together.

On the other hand, it may not be that important to you that they match- what matters is that you're comfortable with what they end up wearing, so if you like it, stick with your original plan and go worry about something else (I know there is plenty to worry about when you're planning a wedding)!!