Need one bag to rule them all

chicsylvie

Feb 6, 2015
I'm in the market for a new purse after a recent robbery. I use a leather Pliage bag for work and any time I need a laptop, and have a cracked silver Phillip Lim clutch for non-work, non-travel functions. It was supposed to be an everyday clutch but the leather is already peeling from minimal use. :sad:
I'd like something structured with a body strap and ideally a top handle, in black or silver.
My contenders at the moment are the Burberry and YSL models attached, but I'm having doubts about YSL after reading the forum.
Any recommendations for something classic, durable, and versatile, with super soft leather? Big enough to hold a phone, glasses, minimal makeup, but not so big that I'd want to leave it home when heading out to the bar.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 413
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 380
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 393
First of all, I love your thread title reference. ;)

I wouldn't be overly worried about the YSL. I have a black YSL monogram cabas as one of my workhorse bags and it's holding up beautifully. I like the bag you show but make sure to try your things in it. The small size and rigid shape may make it less roomy than expected.

I don't care for the Burberry. It looks a little meh. I think there are better options. I went through a LONG search for this type of bag and here are some bags I considered.

My first choice for your would be the LV LockMe II BB in Noir. I just bought this bag and LOVE it! :love: And I'm not usually an LV fan. But this bag won my heart!!! The long strap is removable so you can use it as a clutch or with the small chain strap. The leather is positively scrumptuous!!!!! Probably the best calfskin in my collection.
IMG_9242.JPG
My second choice: I'm slowly falling hard for the Fendi Peekaboo. Fendi quality is great, this has a top handle and a strap and the leather is beautiful. I can absolutely see this bag in a larger version in my collection down the road IMG_9245.JPG
I also like the LV Alma BB in epi and am thinking of getting this in a bright color. It holds far more than you think. It has a top handle and a shoulder strap. It has a long history and will likely never go out of style. The drawback for you is the leather isn't soft. But the tough nature of the epi may be worth it.
IMG_9243.PNG
A girly, iconic option is the small Lady Dior. I go back and forth on this bag. I think I'll eventually own one but haven't taken the plunge. One day I love it. The next it's too twee. The leather is great, it has a top handle and an optional strap. It also comes with choices in hardware. I think it's the medium that is hard to get into but the small isn't? Someone on the Dior forum will have more intel. If you buy preloved, there are a ton of pristine black LD's on the market at a good discount.
IMG_9248.JPG
Being a die hard Chanel girl, I have to mention the Chanel boy. It doesn't have top handle but it comes in luxurious lamb and a variety of hardwares. This picture is the small size but I think the old medium would be better for your needs.
IMG_9244.JPG
And, lastly a Chanel with a top handle is the Chanel coco mini. I'm not familiar with this bag but have seen some lovely reveals. I have to be honest. I worry if this bag will look dated in a few years but what do I know? I could be an it bag for the next 30 years. LOL!
IMG_9249.JPG
Hope this helps! Let us know what you get!

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! I don't have much experience with purse brands other than Mulberry and had negative associations with the ubiquitous LV print. The bags you posted are lovely, and I'm leaning toward the first, although the Perkaboo is a close second. Unfortunately, thanks to your post, I just fell hard for this stunning LV. Perfect colour combo but eek, the price.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 424
Thanks so much for your detailed reply! I don't have much experience with purse brands other than Mulberry and had negative associations with the ubiquitous LV print. The bags you posted are lovely, and I'm leaning toward the first, although the Perkaboo is a close second. Unfortunately, thanks to your post, I just fell hard for this stunning LV. Perfect colour combo but eek, the price.
I'm glad I could help. :smile:

I'm the same way with the LV print so I was surprised to fall in love with the bag I got. And yes the price of LV bags is just plain stupid. LOL! I hated paying the price I did for mine. I dragged my feet in buying for 6 months. But once I saw it in person I fell in love and it really is the best option for me. The upside is that LV's hold their value pretty well and the quality is great.

Are you in an area where you can see all these bags? Seeing the bags is different than seeing the pictures. I passed on SL Sac de Jours I "knew" I wanted after I saw it in person. FYI, They can order this particular LV in to your local store for you to view if they don't have it in stock.

(And I love that bag you just showed! I don't need another obsession. But I may have to go see it. LOL!)

Reactions: chicsylvie