Home & Garden Need input... wall color for living room

mangowife

Seriously tempted...
O.G.
Aug 8, 2006
We're currently in escrow (and I need to catch my breath because this is all happening so fast!), and I'm losing sleep over furniture placement, new flooring, paint color, closet remodeling, etc... and I need some advice!

Here's a pic of the living room, decorated by the current owner. We're planning to redo the floors with a medium dark wood (not TOO dark), and I'd like to repaint the walls. Any suggestion to color? I was leaning towards a cool slate grey with bluish undertones, but not sure if that would flow well with the warm beige fireplace surround.

Thanks in advance or any input you might have!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-27 at 11.34.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-27 at 11.34.43 PM.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,643
Photoshopped it for you (^(oo)~)

attachment.php

Attachments

• slate grey.jpg
    slate grey.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 940
I think a warm colour might be better with a medium wood floor though - with a wood floor and the fireplace surround, I think the grey will be a bit jarring, KWIM?

I think a warm colour might be better with a medium wood floor though - with a wood floor and the fireplace surround, I think the grey will be a bit jarring, KWIM?

Our messages crossed! I think I may know what you mean. I find that I really like the drama of contrasts, but perhaps I should keep the walls/floors neutralish and plan to keep the contrasting to the furniture and accents?

My initial feeling, even before finding this house, was to paint the walls a warm camel hue, so that it didn't look just "beige" but still warmed the place up.

A nice mushroomy taupe would coordinate well, and achieve a similar atmosphere to slate grey, IPHO:

attachment.php

Attachments

• taupe.jpg
    taupe.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,915
Our messages crossed! I think I may know what you mean. I find that I really like the drama of contrasts, but perhaps I should keep the walls/floors neutralish and plan to keep the contrasting to the furniture and accents?

My initial feeling, even before finding this house, was to paint the walls a warm camel hue, so that it didn't look just "beige" but still warmed the place up.

taupe! I think you'll find camel too yellow once it's on the walls, especially with wood floors. The taupe will be a nice sophisticated neutral backdrop for your furnishings and decor (^(oo)^)v

Thanks, LV Piggy, for all your input so far! I like the mushroomy taupe idea, but I may like it even warmer and deeper than that. I know what I'll be dreaming about tonight!

Thanks, LV Piggy, for all your input so far! I like the mushroomy taupe idea, but I may like it even warmer and deeper than that. I know what I'll be dreaming about tonight!

Hehe - we're on the same wavelength! I was trying to make it warmer/deeper but my photoshop wasn't cooperating with me (^(oo)^)v

I'd go with something warmer than taupe...what about a shade of a lighter green if it doesn't clash with your furniture? We haev one called mulberry which is really pretty in our bedroom, and it's a huge bedroom.

Thanks for the suggestion! Mulberry makes me think of a dusty rose, but a green? That sounds interesting! Would you happen to have a pic? :biggrin:

I'd go with something warmer than taupe...what about a shade of a lighter green if it doesn't clash with your furniture? We haev one called mulberry which is really pretty in our bedroom, and it's a huge bedroom.

Ooooh, Loam looks very very nice! Grey-er than camel, and sophisticated! I like!

I'm actually in the East Bay, but I know special paint colors can get pricey - how does this paint compare to other major brands, in terms of benefits or even price?

Also, would you happen to have a pic of your room painted Loam? :smile:

ITA with lvpiggy. I think warm tones will work better, especially if you redo the floors in hardwood.

These paint colors are made by a store here in SF so you won't be able to get them where you are, but if you are looking for a color comparison my walls are painted Loam, which is in the third row down, last one on the right.

http://www.philipsperfectcolors.com/palette.html

Thanks for the suggestion! Mulberry makes me think of a dusty rose, but a green? That sounds interesting! Would you happen to have a pic? :biggrin:

I'm a little concerned that green, being a cooler colour, might present some of the same issues as the grey, especially with a hardwood floor . . . JMHO of course

First, what kind of wood? Are you doing a real hardwood or a laminate? If it were me, the wall color would be dependent on the flooring. Woods have many tones, so I would bring in the wood you are using..bring into that room (a sample) and look at the wood during different times during the day and evening. Notice the tones. Then start working on your paint color. DO NOT RUSH. You won't end up loving it if you rush.
Go to the paint place, like Benjamin Moore, or Dunn Edwards, wherever you plan to buy paint. I don't recommend Loews or Home Depot. Then beg them to sell you a paint wheel. This is what painters carry, and it has every color available. I have one and I swear they will pry it from my dead hands because for some reason the place did not want to sell it to a non professional painter. If you cannot get one, get the little color cards, don't worry about the silly sign that says "only 4 per customer" screw that, stuff as many as you can into your bag and then gently tape them on the wall and, like the floors, watch how the colors change with the light. You will know when you have your color.