Home & Garden Need input on new house... wall or no wall?

mangowife

Seriously tempted...
O.G.
Aug 8, 2006
Looking for some input... attached is a pic of a home for which we're currently in escrow. We're talking flooring options and the possibility of removing this half wall next to the entryway came up. We're doing wood laminate in this area. Would you remove this half wall? I like the way it distinguishes an entryway of sorts, but I'm intrigued with what the area would look like if the wall was gone. The room to the left of the wall is the dining room. What would you do - wall or no wall?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-05 at 10.36.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-05 at 10.36.57 PM.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 257
I would take it out and that way you have more options. You can always put something there to act as a divider that may suit your interior decorationg tastes.

i actually think keeping it there gives you more options. you could put a little entry table right there... or on the other side... you could put some up on the other side against the wall without it looking weird or being in the way.

or it makes a great spot for shoes - then they would be somewhat hidden and out of the way.

Thanks for input! I can see both points of view... So difficult to decide! And since we're redoing the floors now, I feel like I have to decide and stuck with it for many years to come! No pressure! Haha

I would keep it. I like that it distinguishes a bit of an entryway. If there are people eating in the dining room, it's nice to have that bit of separation from outside coats, boots, etc.

It looks like that would fast become the place for keys and mail.

I'd remove it... it looks kinda useless to me... except for a place for clutter to gather.

+1. A small table there will make the area cramped. Especially since the door would open into the table. Think of what you would feel like with two shopping bags in your hand opening the door and hitting the table first thing.

Maybe I'm unsure because it's really not much of anything right now... Maybe extend it and/or make it taller? I'm so confused...

I think extending it is also a mistake as you will be making the entry area and the surrounding space of the house interior smaller and you don't want that.

I like the little wall there and think that it does separate the areas. Also, does it have any practical uses? If this is an exterior door, do you maybe get drafts under it?

Also in wet weather, it might be a good place to leave shoes etc.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I've decided to keep the baby wall for now... I think my issue with it is that it's really neither here nor there in it's current state. I do like having a "separate" entry and perhaps adding a feature on top of the wall would help it to carry some more "weight". Anyway, I will keep it, do the flooring, and then decide on any further changes later on down the road.

I love my tPF community!