***Need Info on Indian (Hindu) Engagement Customs, Gift Ideas***

I guess I have grown up with old fashioned idea's.... I just really hate the forward, expecting ways the new generation have with "gifts"... Yes, 99% of the time, I would give cash anyway at a wedding but being told that the couple "wants" cash would make me put my wallet away and decline the invite... :shocked: :Push:

If it a culture thing, then that is what they are accustomed too and that's ok... :okay:

Makes me feel really old and stoggy.....:crybaby:

(Regardless, it sounds like you have gotten some really good advice, and I am sure you'll have a wonderful time!!! )

I guess I have grown up with old fashioned idea's.... I just really hate the forward, expecting ways the new generation have with "gifts"... Yes, 99% of the time, I would give cash anyway at a wedding but being told that the couple "wants" cash would make me put my wallet away and decline the invite... :shocked: :Push:

If it a culture thing, then that is what they are accustomed too and that's ok... :okay:

Makes me feel really old and stoggy.....:crybaby:

(Regardless, it sounds like you have gotten some really good advice, and I am sure you'll have a wonderful time!!! )

not old and stoggy! if my american friends put that on their invites id be like :shocked: too...certain things are COMPLETELY differnt in different cultures, especially weddings

:ty:

Thanks so much for the informative responses....
Unfortunately, I didn't have traditional indian garb to wear (gosh the women had some fabulously beautiful clothes on)...but I did have a flowing dress with a wrap, so I wasn't too out of place.
The party was unbelievable. I felt like it was a wedding ceremony, with a large swing, DJ cake, reception , and 350 people !!!! They had girls do a bollywood sort of presentation, with traditional dancing and all.
It was a great cultural experience.....
Now if someone could explain the food to me !!!! lol

thanks for your help, everyone. I had a great time !!

:ty:

Salwar kameez would be much easier to wear than a sari. Saris definitely have a learning curve, from putting them on, to just walking around and moving normally.

But no matter what cultural heritage, every lady's wardrobe should contain at least one or two salwar kameez, so if yours is suffering from this grievous oversight, you should avail yourself of this opportunity to remedy that.

In contrast to the sari's learning curve, the salwar kameez is put-it-on and go. It is the most comfortable clothing you will ever wear, and no matter what size you are, or what your proportions, the most flattering.

The only learning curve it has is working the dupatta, but you are probably not going to be doing a lot of flirting at this party, so you can just drape it and forget it (Just let the ends hang down in front, that is totally klutz-proof and as totally classic and traditional, and if there are elders there and you want to cover your head to talk to them, just flop an end up, and poof! Instant elder respect!)