Need help with what to wear!

L etoile

tPF addict
O.G.
Jun 9, 2007
I'm going to a charity event on Sunday (2-6pm). It says "casual attire" on the website, but I have a feeling that it isn't really casual (top notch food, drink, facility, etc.). What should I wear to a daytime charity event?

I'd go with a nice daytime dress (not black) and patent heels/wedges. Patent will dress it up a little in case people are wearing clothes more fancy/formal than casual attire. Who else is going with you? Ask them what they're wearing. (If it really is casual attire, I'd choose dark jeans and a nice silk top.)

I don't have much (read: any :P) experience with luncheons or charity events, but I feel like you can't go wrong with a nice DVF wrap dress (or something comparable). :smile: Instead of stilettos, I'd do a more casual (but still polished) shoe... I like the idea of wedges! Even if it says "casual attire" I wouldn't show up in jeans... it's always best to err on the side of overdressed v. under dressed... and being the only woman there in jeans wouldn't be fun!

i agree with the others, a daytime dress would be a great pick. are you looking to buy something new? if so, bloomingdale's has a ton of great dress options online. (not a plug, i swear i don't work for them:biggrin:)

based on your description, i'm inclined to think that the intent of the organizers was probably something along the lines of country club casual. a day dress that's not overly short or low-cut would be appropriate, as would a blouse paired with a skirt or slacks.

avoid t-shirts, sweatshirts, any type of loungewear, flip-flops, and shorts. very dark, dressy-looking denim (i.e. no distressing or loud contrast stitching) may be suitable depending on the specific function, but it's probably safest to avoid denim altogether.

I agree. A DvF dress or something similar would probably be best. I go to stuff like that and its what I would wear. You want to look like you care and that you're not some bumpkin that happened to wander in. For parties like that you can't go wrong with a cute, nice silk dress that you'd consider office-appropriate.

Have fun at the event! :smile: