Need help with what to wear!

L etoile

tPF addict
O.G.
Jun 9, 2007
urban jungle
I'm going to a charity event on Sunday (2-6pm). It says "casual attire" on the website, but I have a feeling that it isn't really casual (top notch food, drink, facility, etc.). What should I wear to a daytime charity event?

mielikki55

Nov 21, 2006
I'd go with a nice daytime dress (not black) and patent heels/wedges. Patent will dress it up a little in case people are wearing clothes more fancy/formal than casual attire. Who else is going with you? Ask them what they're wearing. (If it really is casual attire, I'd choose dark jeans and a nice silk top.)

fieryfashionist

aka Minal :)
O.G.
Dec 7, 2006
The city that never sleeps!
I don't have much (read: any :P) experience with luncheons or charity events, but I feel like you can't go wrong with a nice DVF wrap dress (or something comparable). :smile: Instead of stilettos, I'd do a more casual (but still polished) shoe... I like the idea of wedges! Even if it says "casual attire" I wouldn't show up in jeans... it's always best to err on the side of overdressed v. under dressed... and being the only woman there in jeans wouldn't be fun!

lvpiggy

feels like pigsomnia
O.G.
based on your description, i'm inclined to think that the intent of the organizers was probably something along the lines of country club casual. a day dress that's not overly short or low-cut would be appropriate, as would a blouse paired with a skirt or slacks.

avoid t-shirts, sweatshirts, any type of loungewear, flip-flops, and shorts. very dark, dressy-looking denim (i.e. no distressing or loud contrast stitching) may be suitable depending on the specific function, but it's probably safest to avoid denim altogether.

May 29, 2008
^Me too. They probably want country club-ish attire, so you look nice, but it's not super dressy. Either way, it's better to be overdressed than underdressed :smile:

shoulderache

May 24, 2007
Arizona
I agree. A DvF dress or something similar would probably be best. I go to stuff like that and its what I would wear. You want to look like you care and that you're not some bumpkin that happened to wander in. For parties like that you can't go wrong with a cute, nice silk dress that you'd consider office-appropriate.

Have fun at the event! :smile: