Travel Need help with Stockholm and Vienna shopping tips!

chinyc

Jul 16, 2013
I am going to be in Stockholm & Vienna in a few weeks for the xmas markets. I want to do some local shopping-- fun stuff you can only get in Stockholm or Vienna, no chain stores. I've been to Vienna before but didn't have much luck on my last visit-- the only thing I really brought back were those little sacher tortes and imperial torte squares.

Does anyone have any tips? I promise to come back and report on all my finds!

There are great cinnamon scented items at some of the Christmas markets in Vienna. Loved those! Also some great tea light holders. Just be careful to package them well. I had such a wonderful time in Vienna last winter. PM me if you have other questions!

Hi, I might be able to help you out but can you tell me a bit more what you're looking for?
@Mediana-- I have a hobby blog where I write about and photograph shops that have fun souvenirs to bring home. For example, in London I am writing about biscuits and tea at Fortnum and Mason and Liberty shirts and accessories at Liberty of London. In Kyoto I wrote about little pouches and purses made from local textiles. I also have a section called "supermarket finds" where I photograph fun stuff to buy in a country's grocery store. The "souvenirs" themselves vary-- the key thing is it has to be something I can't find where I live in NYC, and in general I don't collect tchockes (magnets, keychains etc), other than that, no criteria-- useful stuff always better, it can even be mundane (to a local anyway) if it's a different design.
I'm only going to be in Stockholm for 2.5 days so it's got to be convenient to the main area. Any ideas of things that might be of interest to a foreigner? It can be a hard question for a local to answer (I have no idea what to recommend in ny!)

@jennalovesbags--green tea lights sound interesting-- I'll PM you for more info. I love the xmas markets too!

Well most things can be found in NYC so hard to know what to recommend here. We have some local clothing brands that are nice but they are in the upper market and not what I would call souvenirs. They are quite pricey and most you'll be able to find in NYC anyway.

First, I would say Candy. Really, we do have the very best Candy. Specially salty liquorice. Its acquired taste but you might wanna try it :smile: I would go to a large grocery store and look around. Do you know where you'll be staying? Also, what kind of Christmas market are you visiting? We're not really famous for them so to speak ;)

Anyway .. I recommend you visit Designtorget. The web site only choose 1/100 of what they have. You'll see a few of these stores around the city but the big one is right in the middle at Sergels Torg and that is the one you should visit. A great place to pick up small, odd things from local designers.

Also, since you'll be here during Christmas time I would pick up a bottle of Glögg, Our version of Glühwine. You can only buy this a Systembolaget. There are lots of different kinds and I don't really drink myself so can't recommend you which one to get but ask the staff. You may be able to find it at the airport too.
Each year Blossa makes a Glögg that is limited. This years bottle looks very swedish. (I'm actually thinking of buying more bottles to decorate with at home.)

Forgot to ask, are you here during a weekend? In that case you might wanna visit Hornstull's market. Its a arts & craft market we're people put up a table and sell their own stuff.

Hope this helps a little.

Attachments

• Utsikt_5208_A4.tif.tn_03d4c.jpg
    Utsikt_5208_A4.tif.tn_03d4c.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 95
Well most things can be found in NYC so hard to know what to recommend here. We have some local clothing brands that are nice but they are in the upper market and not what I would call souvenirs. They are quite pricey and most you'll be able to find in NYC anyway.

First, I would say Candy. Really, we do have the very best Candy. Specially salty liquorice. Its acquired taste but you might wanna try it :smile: I would go to a large grocery store and look around. Do you know where you'll be staying? Also, what kind of Christmas market are you visiting? We're not really famous for them so to speak ;)

Anyway .. I recommend you visit Designtorget. The web site only choose 1/100 of what they have. You'll see a few of these stores around the city but the big one is right in the middle at Sergels Torg and that is the one you should visit. A great place to pick up small, odd things from local designers.

Also, since you'll be here during Christmas time I would pick up a bottle of Glögg, Our version of Glühwine. You can only buy this a Systembolaget. There are lots of different kinds and I don't really drink myself so can't recommend you which one to get but ask the staff. You may be able to find it at the airport too.
Each year Blossa makes a Glögg that is limited. This years bottle looks very swedish. (I'm actually thinking of buying more bottles to decorate with at home.)

Forgot to ask, are you here during a weekend? In that case you might wanna visit Hornstull's market. Its a arts & craft market we're people put up a table and sell their own stuff.

Hope this helps a little.
@Mediana-- Thanks for your tips. We're staying at the Sheraton Stockholm-- I think it's pretty central.

I've heard about the salty licorce and am planning to feature that for sure. Is there a nearby grocery store you could recommend (either to the hotel or to the center).

I think Designtorget would be worth a post. Unfortunately I'm leaving super early Sat am so I won't be there on the weekend.

I've been to German xmas markets and am not expecting anything like that--just a little festive atmosphere and some photo opps-- maybe some crafts. Glogg sounds perfect too-- I'll definitely look for it to try and bring home (or at least photograph for a post).

I can't recall where I heard this, but don't they make some craft things out of Straw? What about what we think of as "classic" swedish like the Dala horse, or textiles with swedish prints (other than Ikea of course!).

I figured fashion would be what we have here- Acne etc-- and not cheap so I wasn't going to focus on that.