Need help with resolving ebay problem with hot pink city!

Just an update,
I sent the item off friday (saturday korean time since they are a day ahead). Let the seller know that the package was on its way and that the rest of the items would be sent from america (the extra strings, tags, receipt). The seller then responded that she would not offer a refund anymore because the tag was removed. I had already explained why her stupid yellow tag was removed before sending off the bag (she had ebay email me that the item was authentic) and I was expecting an authentic bag. I need to know whether or not I should use the option to escalate the case or if that is premature. Thanks.

Another update,
Louisey was able to find the previous posted pictures that the seller had used on ebay. I am deeply greatful as the idea that the seller might try to lie about me sending a different bag was turning my stomach in knots. Luckily the seller had a close up of the serial number which does indeed match the bag that she sent me. Thanks again!

^ Don't worry about the security tag. I don't think ebay could care less whether the security tag was taken off or not. They just want to know that the merchandise was returned.

By the way, did ebay really email you to tell you the bag was authentic? I would save the email and call ebay/paypal and tell them they have NO business authenticating bags. This is such an open & shut case.. wish I could get on the phone with them. I'd rip them a new one.. First they remove the listing and then email you that it is authentic? That is so shady I can hardly believe it happened. They know it's shady so stand firm..

I'm confused though.. why is the bag in one place and the tags, tassels, etc.. in another?

my mom had a friend visiting korea and sent the bag with her to give to me but had taken out the tassels and tag. I told her that ebay had confirmed that the bag was authentic and that she didnt need to send the receipt, extra tassels, or yellow tag as i didnt think i would need them anytime soon.
i did ask ebay how they determined the fake bag to be authentic when it was clearly not, but they haven't responded as of yet. The seller claims its because they have paid authenticators on hire who were able to look at the pictures and determine that it was authentic. Obviously ebay needs to fire them and hire the team here on the purseforum. It would be money better spent.

my mom had a friend visiting korea and sent the bag with her to give to me but had taken out the tassels and tag. I told her that ebay had confirmed that the bag was authentic and that she didnt need to send the receipt, extra tassels, or yellow tag as i didnt think i would need them anytime soon.
i did ask ebay how they determined the fake bag to be authentic when it was clearly not, but they haven't responded as of yet. The seller claims its because they have paid authenticators on hire who were able to look at the pictures and determine that it was authentic. Obviously ebay needs to fire them and hire the team here on the purseforum. It would be money better spent.

Anybody ever heard of this before? I haven't.

And you're right OP, even to a non-expert eye like mine, that bag was fake a mile away.

^ NO. That's a lie. Ebay does NOT have paid authenticators on hire.

They have Ebay members (many who post here) who they from time to time ask to take a look at something to give a second opinion, those are from the trusted reporters program.

They are NOT paid. They are not professional authenticators. Ebay does NOT authenticate and I think their legal team would be very interested in hearing about this.

OP you should write to [email protected] - and ask them why Ebay said they authenticated a bag after it was removed - which turned out to be confirmed as a fake. Give them the seller's name and all the details about the email/contact you received.

I actually read this the first time as meaning that the SELLER had paid authenticators - i.e. she had someone she goes to like CarolDiva or MyPoupette to contact eBay for her. Did I misunderstand? I don't think eBay has paid authenticators.

No...the seller had stated that ebay had paid authenticators on hand. She also had ebay's customer support write to me telling me to enjoy my "authentic bag" and that they had made a mistake when they pulled the listing.

Just an update and closure for EVERYONE who has helped me on this issue:
I had escalated the case because the seller was being very hostile in her emails, and I began to doubt that she would offer me a refund. I sent ebay a message stating everything that happened including the message from their customer representative reassuring me that the bag was authentic. I also gave them the url's for this thread as well as the one where I tried to authenticate the bag.

I received a message for a refund through paypal. The seller also received the bag and stated that having it in her hands now, she could see inconsistencies in this bag compared to other Balenciaga bags she has sold. She offered to comp me for the shipping cost because this has dragged on for so long and then mentioned that the bag seems to have been USED since she sent it. I know I haven't used it, and my mother said she only took it out of the plastic bag to remove the tag and tassels. The seller was very careful not to mention the bag she sold me was fake.

I guess all in all I've received my refund and should be happy, but I guess I wish the seller hadn't been so nasty and hostile in her emails. It's left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess now I'm wondering how the seller had ebay send me a message and why they aren't getting getting back to me about that. (I had written them a while ago as to how the customer support guy was able to make a statement about the bag's authenticity, but never received a reply.)

But thanks so much to everyone! I am still in search of a pink balenciaga bag, but now I'm thinking that I may have to pay retail to get what I want :smile:

I'm so glad it all worked out for you.

I am baffled about the "paid authenticators" and the fact that that ebay sent you a message saying they made a mistake when they pulled the listing - and then they never reinstated it(?). I've been on this forum for awhile and I have never heard of anything like this.

I'm so glad it all worked out for you.

I am baffled about the "paid authenticators" and the fact that that ebay sent you a message saying they made a mistake when they pulled the listing - and then they never reinstated it(?). I've been on this forum for awhile and I have never heard of anything like this.
I'm confused by this also...

My explanation may have everyone confused... I had already purchased and paid for the item before I received the email that the item I purchased may be fake. Then I emailed the seller about the letter I received from ebay. The seller then contacted ebay and a customer rep. left me a message in my ebay messages saying that I should enjoy my "authentic bag".

I don't know whether or not that offers more clarification... but that's the order that things occurred. With everyone's support the situation was resolved relatively fast, and I think I will take Apricot's suggestion and write to their legal team to ask about the situation and see if there is anything to be done so that the seller isn't able to try and sell that bag again.

The seller asked for all the tags back, which is already on it's way, but now I'm wondering what she needs the tags for as the item has been determined to be fake.

My explanation may have everyone confused... I had already purchased and paid for the item before I received the email that the item I purchased may be fake. Then I emailed the seller about the letter I received from ebay. The seller then contacted ebay and a customer rep. left me a message in my ebay messages saying that I should enjoy my "authentic bag".

I don't know whether or not that offers more clarification... but that's the order that things occurred. With everyone's support the situation was resolved relatively fast, and I think I will take Apricot's suggestion and write to their legal team to ask about the situation and see if there is anything to be done so that the seller isn't able to try and sell that bag again.

The seller asked for all the tags back, which is already on it's way, but now I'm wondering what she needs the tags for as the item has been determined to be fake.
The seller will have a policy violation on her record now. If she lists the bag again, and it's reported, she'll have another. I don't know how many violations it takes before she loses her top-rated seller status, but if she has any smarts she won't push her luck.

As for the tags - maybe (being charitable here) she wants to return the bag to wherever she got it from? Maybe.