Food Need Help! White chocolate dilema?

kcf68

Hopelessly Addicted!
O.G.
May 17, 2007
Okay, I'm in one of my Betty Crocker experimenting moods. I am making those yummy carmel apples with chocolate drizzles. I tried to melt Ghiradelli white chocolate chips and it turned into one big glob. What white chocolate can you use to melt? Where can you get it? I followed the instructions to melt the chips but it was a yucky and my carmel apple looks like crap.. Help???

Hm, that's weird. I use Nestle Tollhouse white chocolate chips and they melt just fine. I melt them in the microwave, btw. Just make sure to use small time increments and stir to see if the chips are melted (chocolate keeps its shape even when melted).

Did you get any water in the white chocolate ? Water cause the molecules in chocolate to seized up and seperate ,I have had better luck melting in the in the microwave instead of the double boiler method

Oh, I put 1tbsp of milk in it. Maybe that is why it clayed up. I need to make it so I can drizzle the white chocolate on the carmel apples. Any ideals??

Just melting them should allow you to drizzle it like you want - you shouldn't have to add anything to it. Just do it slow. I've never had a problem melting white chocolate before, but I always do it double boiler style, so I can keep stirring it constantly. As it's melting, just keep stirring, stirring, stirring, and in a minute or two, it will be nice and smooth.

you can get little tubs of horrid white chocolate deliberate melting product at the supermarket where the fruit and things are - like the regular chocolate melting/dipping stuff.

There is one brand that does not suck, and I can't remember its name, but that doesn't matter to you since my suck or not suck criteria is based on actual chocolate content, and white chocolate only has some minor element of actual chocolate anyway. Vegetable solids. hmmph.

Anyway, look next to the strawberries.

Like others said, melt in slow increments if you use a microwave. Personally, I find a double boiler much easier...if you need to thin the chocolate a bit, butter works well...just not too much or it won't set.