Need help to get my first diamond studs (where)

aeonat

O.G.
Dec 13, 2007
Dear all.. will need your help to help me to buy my first diamond studs... hahah I just recently got re-piereced.. so I am totally excited in getting my first diamond studs.. I am pretty much set on getting a 1 ct studs.. however I don't know where I should get it from (since I have no idea of the price point and where will have good deals and what to avoid). All the ladies experiences will definitely help me.

I need recommend for which jewelry you will recommend in LA area? or even online (I noticied that there is online store.. are they trust worthy?)

What will be a reasonable price point for a 1ct studs.. close to colorless or colorless. TIA!!

[URL="http://www.mondera.com"]www.bluenile.com[/URL]Blue Nile.com has exceptional selection readymade and custom, where you select your diamonds, 18k white gold, 18k yellow gold or platinum setting with your choice of prongs. Mondera.com also has wide selection, but I don't have any experience from them. I have bought from Blue Nile and absolutely love them.

WF is great, esp if you plan on upgrading... they have a policy for that. I haven't bought anything from them though. I also like Blue Nile because of the pre-made and custom order options... i have ordered from blue nile & been very pleased with my purchases. I don't think BN has an upgrade option though.

I am planning on buying a pair from Diamondstudsonly.com - They have an upgrade policy, and have the most competitive prices for the quality that I've seen online. I was originally looking at Blue Nile (very reputable) and Whiteflash, but Blue Nile has no upgrade policy, and for some reason most of the diamond studs on Whiteflash are ineligible for their trade-up policy (I have no idea why).

Just for comparison sake, these are the ones I am planning on getting from Diamondsudsonly (G-H VS2, Excellent Cut in Platinum 4-prong basket setting) vs the ones from Bluenile. At bluenile, for the comparable pair, the cut was "Very Good", not "excellent" like diamondstudsonly, and the earrings were more expensive, on top of the no-trade up policy.

Diamondstudsonly.com
http://www.diamondstudsonly.com/Details_Studs.cfm?ProdID=170&metal=PT&setting=4P&shape=BR

Bluenile
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-earrings-platinum_129

www.bluenile.comBlue Nile.com has exceptional selection readymade and custom, where you select your diamonds, 18k white gold, 18k yellow gold or platinum setting with your choice of prongs. Mondera.com also has wide selection, but I don't have any experience from them. I have bought from Blue Nile and absolutely love them.

Roregirl: Thanks for your suggestion.. it sure seems like getting online can save some money... especially tax.. but do they have upgrade policy?

WF is great, esp if you plan on upgrading... they have a policy for that. I haven't bought anything from them though. I also like Blue Nile because of the pre-made and custom order options... i have ordered from blue nile & been very pleased with my purchases. I don't think BN has an upgrade option though.

Thanks for the information... I still dont' know if I will upgrade my diamond stud in the future.. but agai.. it seems that I should keep my option open..

NY Village Girl : Thanks for the information..do each site have the same definition of Cut? the excellent cut is it same across the board.. i saw ideal cut on bluenile.. how do I know I am really compaing apple to apple?

I am planning on buying a pair from Diamondstudsonly.com - They have an upgrade policy, and have the most competitive prices for the quality that I've seen online. I was originally looking at Blue Nile (very reputable) and Whiteflash, but Blue Nile has no upgrade policy, and for some reason most of the diamond studs on Whiteflash are ineligible for their trade-up policy (I have no idea why).

Just for comparison sake, these are the ones I am planning on getting from Diamondsudsonly (G-H VS2, Excellent Cut in Platinum 4-prong basket setting) vs the ones from Bluenile. At bluenile, for the comparable pair, the cut was "Very Good", not "excellent" like diamondstudsonly, and the earrings were more expensive, on top of the no-trade up policy.

Diamondstudsonly.com
http://www.diamondstudsonly.com/Details_Studs.cfm?ProdID=170&metal=PT&setting=4P&shape=BR

Bluenile
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-earrings-platinum_129

Good Point. I believe Blue Nile's Ideal and Signature Ideal both fall in the "Excellent" cut category, with BN's Signature Ideal being slightly better cut than the BN Ideal. (Though, I am certainly not an expert on diamond grading variances, so don't rely on my opinion alone...perhaps some other TPFers have some insight into this).

I actually just realized that while Blue Nile used to guarantee "Very Good" cut with this particular pair, they now only guarantee a minimum of a "Good" cut now, so actually two steps down from excellent. (Strange, I think they must have changed that very recently).

They don't have upgrade policy unfortunately. However, The ones I bought were on my sisters behalf. She waited to get g color and IF clarity in 2.02 ct pair so that she does not have to change later on.

Last edited:
Blue Nile does not have upgrade policy unfortunately. However, The ones I bought were on my sisters behalf. She waited to get G color and IF clarity in 2.02 ct pair so that she does not have to change later on. That is the biggest she believed suited her.

i got my solitaire from whiteflash and i am very satisfied w/ their service. i think their prices are cheaper than bluenile, but they have a less selection. if you are really specific about color/clarity/size, you will have more options w/ bluenile. especially since you would want two that looks as identical as possible.....

They don't have upgrade policy unfortunately. However, The ones I bought were on my sisters behalf. She waited to get g color and IF clarity in 2.02 ct pair so that she does not have to change later on.

that's a very good point, if you already got the IF.. there isn't much to upgrade to.. other than bigger stone!!