Need help Sold Chanel Bag on eBay and Buyer requested to be returned

plzflyme2themoo

KaTe
O.G.
Oct 4, 2012
Hi everyone,
I really need BIG HELP/ADVICE from you guys.

I posted to sell a Chanel bag on eBay back in early April. This was the most valuable item I have ever posted on eBay.

I bought the handbag myself at Chanel Rue Cambon while on vacation in Paris. We are from the US. I didn’t provide the receipt to the buyer since I purchased a few items from the boutique.

The buyer purchased the bag on 4/16. We had a few exchanged conversation to update on the progress of the shipping. She mentioned that she bought this bag to take on vacation.

Today, 5/7 at 6:31PM she opened a case to return the bag. She sent me a few messages that a Chanel authenticator told her that my bag is not authentic. I replied back to her that I have the actual receipt and we can call the Rue Cambon boutique to give her more info about the bag. She replied back that she just wanted a refund. I asked if she could share the authenticator’s report since I’m curious as to why they would believe it’s not authentic. She then replied that she just took the bag to a Chanel boutique and they “pointed out that the serial number is not printed correctly and the hologram sticker that’s glued on is slipping off”. This cannot be the case since I bought it brand new at the boutique and the sticker was not slipping off when I shipped the bag. I just called eBay but the department was close and eBay will contact me tomorrow.

Please share what I should do.

I don’t want to accept return because I’m afraid that she won’t return the same bag back to me or she may have used my bag on her vacation already. Thank you for your help and support in advance. [emoji1317]

Here is the link the bag I sold
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233196212926

You could have simply made a copy of your receipt from Chanel and sent it along with the bag-why couldn't you just line out the other items? This would have eliminated the suspicion that the bag was a fake. Now you may be stuck, once she returns the bag, give her total refund. Think and protect yourself next time.

Reactions: fabuleux
You could have simply made a copy of your receipt from Chanel and sent it along with the bag-why couldn't you just line out the other items? This would have eliminated the suspicion that the bag was a fake. Now you may be stuck, once she returns the bag, give her total refund. Think and protect yourself next time.

Thank you for your advice. I didn’t know that the copy would work. I can’t give her the original receipt because I bought two other bags and a couple small goods. I did reach out to her and offer to send a copy of receipt and a photo of it but she declined.

Reactions: SkeeWee1908
This is so f'd up. Exactly why I wont sell any of my designer goods on ebay. I would not allow the return, would fight hard and long as i could.

But they ALWAYS side with the buyer , so if she does returen I hope she returns your actual bag and not a counterfeit replica.
Good Luck

Thank you. I will try to fight. It’s not fair that she may have used the bag. And she kept it for almost 3 weeks and not reaching out to me with her concerns. [emoji22]

Thank you. I will try to fight. It’s not fair that she may have used the bag. And she kept it for almost 3 weeks and not reaching out to me with her concerns. [emoji22]
Yeah this sounds so freaking shady! I would stress all this to ebay and provide them with my original receipts proving her claim false.

If her only reason for wanting to return the bag is based on authenticity this would be documented in the return she iniatiaed with ebay. Also, I would ask them to see the dated letter from the authenticator saying the bag is fake.

Once you prove her wrong by providing ebay with the store receipts showing the bag is authentic, you should win the case. And she will NOT be able to pursue for other reasons.

Hopefully it will work out. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya :smile:

Yeah this sounds so freaking shady! I would stress all this to ebay and provide them with my original receipts proving her claim false.

If her only reason for wanting to return the bag is based on authenticity this would be documented in the return she iniatiaed with ebay. Also, I would ask them to see the dated letter from the authenticator saying the bag is fake.

Once you prove her wrong by providing ebay with the store receipts showing the bag is authentic, you should win the case. And she will NOT be able to pursue for other reasons.

Hopefully it will work out. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya :smile:

Thank you so much. She did mention in the return request that “the bag doesn’t seem authentic”. Lol

I will work with eBay and keep you and everyone posted on the progress and outcome. Hopefully, my case can be useful in the future.

I have a few questions and comments, some of which you may not like.

Note that I don't know Chanel and except for the most obvious fakes, I can't authenticate them. So my comments are general with regard to buying and selling.

Did the buyer open a SNAD case or a request to return?

If she filed SNAD, you're advised to accept the return because if you fight it, you're apt to lose the case, the money AND the bag. Sometimes when sellers insist on "no returns," ebay will assume you don't want the bag back so they'll allow the buyer to keep it as well as giving a refund (by taking it from YOUR funds).

With that said, my comments concern her complaint and the comments of the SA (or whoever authenticated it).

Her complaints:
  • Serial number improperly printed.
  • Hologram sticker coming off.
You state:
  • This cannot be the case since I bought it brand new at the boutique and the sticker was not slipping off when I shipped the bag.

Whether her complaints are valid or not is a moot point since your listing doesn't show the hologram! (But it should!)

While i know stickers do lift, loosen and sometimes even fall off, you can't prove either that the font or printing is correct nor that it wasn't lifting.

My suggestion is NOT to fight the case but to assert that the bag is authentic but since she's not happy with it, you will accept the return. Note that you'll have to pay return shipping and her refund will be the total amount she'd paid.

When you get it back and before relisting, get advice from those on the Chanel subforum about which pictures to show to prove authenticity. (Better yet, read post 1 on AT Chanel to see which pictures are needed in order for authenticators to judge items. Show those pictures in your listing so if a potential buyer sees and is interested in your bag, she'll be able to post and get an opinion on the Chanel authentication thread.

It might also add credibility to your listing as well as reassurance for the buyer to invest $7-10 in a professional authentication. Although you know it's authentic, to a buyer, you are a stranger and they will feel more comfortable with the reassurance.

And now for a bit of unsolicited advice: When selling highly faked and expensive items, the better the listing, the better the pictures and the more complete the description, the more likely a buyer is going to know what to expect and less likely to be disappointed.

I looked at your other Chanel listing and although it's been listed for 3 weeks (since April 16) and with just 1 week left in the 30-day listing, it still shows only 2 pictures with a note that "More pictures are coming soon (handbag is at my in-law’s house)." TBH, no careful buyer is going to spend $3000 on a bag with that description and essentially no pictures.

Keep in mind that this isn't intended to be uber critical but as constructive criticism to help avoid this type of situation in the future.

And BTW, why did she leave positive feedback if she's so unhappy?

Thank you so much. She did mention in the return request that “the bag doesn’t seem authentic”.
You made this post while I was typing my response.

The dispute IS SNAD and that's one of the reasons ebay gives the buyer to choose from. (It's not the buyer's own words.)

Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely that they'll find in your favor in this case, especially when your pictures don't show the "issues" she complains about. When a buyer claims fake, if you don't agree to the return, she'll escalate and ebay will make a decision.

If ebay has to resolve (rather than you doing it willingly), you will also have a defect on your account.

Sounds like she just wanted it for vacation and is returning it because she can't pay for it. Accept the return NOW. If you escalate, eBay is VERY likely to allow her to keep the bag, while they empty your bank account to refund her as well. This is a common tactic on eBay because the company doesn't give a flying fig about the sellers, plenty of people know this and abuse it.

I have a few questions and comments, some of which you may not like.

Note that I don't know Chanel and except for the most obvious fakes, I can't authenticate them. So my comments are general with regard to buying and selling.

Did the buyer open a SNAD case or a request to return?

If she filed SNAD, you're advised to accept the return because if you fight it, you're apt to lose the case, the money AND the bag. Sometimes when sellers insist on "no returns," ebay will assume you don't want the bag back so they'll allow the buyer to keep it as well as giving a refund (by taking it from YOUR funds).

With that said, my comments concern her complaint and the comments of the SA (or whoever authenticated it).

Her complaints:
  • Serial number improperly printed.
  • Hologram sticker coming off.
You state:
  • This cannot be the case since I bought it brand new at the boutique and the sticker was not slipping off when I shipped the bag.

Whether her complaints are valid or not is a moot point since your listing doesn't show the hologram! (But it should!)

While i know stickers do lift, loosen and sometimes even fall off, you can't prove either that the font or printing is correct nor that it wasn't lifting.

My suggestion is NOT to fight the case but to assert that the bag is authentic but since she's not happy with it, you will accept the return. Note that you'll have to pay return shipping and her refund will be the total amount she'd paid.

When you get it back and before relisting, get advice from those on the Chanel subforum about which pictures to show to prove authenticity. (Better yet, read post 1 on AT Chanel to see which pictures are needed in order for authenticators to judge items. Show those pictures in your listing so if a potential buyer sees and is interested in your bag, she'll be able to post and get an opinion on the Chanel authentication thread.

It might also add credibility to your listing as well as reassurance for the buyer to invest $7-10 in a professional authentication. Although you know it's authentic, to a buyer, you are a stranger and they will feel more comfortable with the reassurance.

And now for a bit of unsolicited advice: When selling highly faked and expensive items, the better the listing, the better the pictures and the more complete the description, the more likely a buyer is going to know what to expect and less likely to be disappointed.

I looked at your other Chanel listing and although it's been listed for 3 weeks (since April 16) and with just 1 week left in the 30-day listing, it still shows only 2 pictures with a note that "More pictures are coming soon (handbag is at my in-law’s house)." TBH, no careful buyer is going to spend $3000 on a bag with that description and essentially no pictures.

Keep in mind that this isn't intended to be uber critical but as constructive criticism to help avoid this type of situation in the future.

And BTW, why did she leave positive feedback if she's so unhappy?

I posted to sell another bag because at the time eBay has a promotion to not take the listing commissions (only 3 items) but that bag is at my mother-in-law and I have not got it so I realize that no one would care to look at the bag with a couple of pictures but that’s ok since the promotion is expiring. I know I should have taken it down. [emoji4]

As for this case, she opened a request to return. She did leave a positive feedback. She received the bag on 4/19. So it’s been 2.5 weeks. When she received she seemed happy. I really don’t know why. She only mentioned that Chanel store said that the hologram and the card don’t look authentic.

Thank you for your advice. It’s all good. This can help me or others in the future. [emoji56][emoji1317]

you could also request she send you photos of her putting your bag into postage bag/box at the post office and they have seen it being sent back - so you dont worry about getting a fake back.
I sell my bags with zip ties and SN on them that i have written and expressly advise this must be still attached for any returns.