Need help should I buy a Bayswater, Babington or Georgie

kirpi_chan

O.G.
Oct 6, 2008
Dear lovely ladies,
I am looking for a good work bag and can't decide between the three... John Lewis is selling a Bayswater at £800+ but I have found a gem of a bag on naughty pidgin the Georgie in black which is a very unusual bag or there is a lovely Babington that I found on eBay. Not sure which to go for. Help much appreciated.
Not sure if I'm allowed to post the links to the pics so I haven't just in case of copyright infringement or forum rules etc...

Cheers xxx

You can get a bays anytime.....if you love the older bags you will love the,other two...I had a babington it is similar size to bays and the straps fit easily on the shoulder.... Georgie is the same old style quality....for leather quality the old ones are much better than the new good luck with your choice

Dear lovely ladies,
I am looking for a good work bag and can't decide between the three... John Lewis is selling a Bayswater at £800+ but I have found a gem of a bag on naughty pidgin the Georgie in black which is a very unusual bag or there is a lovely Babington that I found on eBay. Not sure which to go for. Help much appreciated.
Not sure if I'm allowed to post the links to the pics so I haven't just in case of copyright infringement or forum rules etc...

Cheers xxx

I found the Georgie to be a lovely bag and the straps are a little longer than the Bays so it fits comfortably on the shoulder:smile:

I've never owned a Georgie or a Babbington, but, would def' go for the Georgie .. it's a lovely vintage Mulberry style & one in good condition (which it will be if NPN is selling it) would be a bag to treasure for a long time xx

just had a peek at Georgie & she's lovely (not usually a silver HW fan, but, looks really good on this bag) - though the Nest is closed, if you email Shian & register your interest, she'll get back to you when she re-opens xx

Very poor resale prices on both Georgie and Babington, old models and whilst made of lovely leather these are dated designs. Bayswaters are still current and there are plenty of real ones on eBay. Resale is holding up on regular Bayswaters. Now, you may intend to keep the bag - but just by virtue of being a member here it's likely that you will want to re-sell at some stage. Such is the bug...

Dear lovely ladies,

Cheers xxx

Hmm, tricky one, kirpi! I have a red Georgie and, tbh, she never sees the light of day. That said, Shian is a fab seller and will answer any questions you may have about her two when she reopens. Her bags are always exactly as described, with no nasty surprises, and if Georgie sings to you, go for her!

I bought three gorgeous Bayswaters from BV: choc, oak and pistachio, each one less than the John Lewis price, and beautiful leather. It's well worth giving the outlets a call, to see what they have in. Bays is THE classic Mulberry, imho ...

Can't help re. Babington I'm afraid ...

For my money, I'd go with a Bays from an outlet BUT do remember that, if you want an everyday bag, a Bays might be a bit on the heavy side, when fully loaded. I use mine for work, but rarely cart it around on, say, a shopping trip ...

Good luck! :smile:

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't go for the Bayswater. I love and loathe it, personally love it because it was a 16th birthday present and it obviously has special meaning to me! However it really isn't all that practical for everyday. The handles don't fit over big coats so in the winter i have to carry it in the crook of my arm or in my hand which I do not like because it can get heavy. The size is good but its a bucket bag so there is no order or structure to it. I'd say for work if you don't mind being restricted in the way you carry the bag then it would be fine, but I would opt for darker colours for everyday. Even the oak leather water spots badly and gets grubby over time especially in the city (I live in london+ dirt everywhere!)

Reactions: Mayfly285
I got soooo excited to see Elvis, in this thread--then saw it was an older one.
Miss her humor & hope she's okay.

As to bays--I carry mine over shoulder daily, even shopping & walking. Fits fine, doesn't slip off. I put everything in it needed & don't find it exceptionally heavy.
This seems an exception, however, when I read most comments from others.
I will say, in hot weather, it gets uncomfortable having a huge slab o' leather pressed against my side. That's been my only con.

I use pouches to organize the inside, both mulberry cases & generic types. Maybe a samorga liner someday, but not yet.
Love the open feeling of its interior, full of possibilities.

think it depends on the individual Bays' Honey ? I had a Lavender that fitted "nicely" over shoulder but with no excess room, I had a multi-tooled that wouldn't even do on-shoulder comfortably in a t-shirt, and both a Purple Tassel & Ivory tooled bays that would wear on shoulder even with a Winter coat on (I'm 5'7" and a size 10/12 in coats) - though none of the Bays handles ever really looked to be different lengths, it's amazing what a difference a few extra centimeters made ! x